Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights switch question " DRL's and headlights "

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights switch question " DRL's and headlights "

just got my drl's running again and i forget something , for the lights switch , you know the circle switch that turns on the headlights.

this is how my switch functions right now

- when its on the left = lights off " drl's on but not bright "
- when its in the middle = ????
- when on the right = headlights on + " drl's on but way brighter "

what is the middle one supposed to do ? after dd the car for 4 years i cant remember lol.

because right now it is functioning just exactly like when its on the right which is popping the headlight up , however without turning the lights on , just pops them up , and i dont think it should do that. i think it should just turn the interior lights on , but i can not remember.

and why are the drl's getting brighter when i turn the lights on , shouldn't be the other way around ?brighter when headlights on

Thanks a lot
Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The middle one turns on what most people would refer to as the parking lights or running lights, but does not illuminate the headlights. To clarify, parking lights is basically everything but the headlights, where DRL is just the front turn signal/DRL lights. So the middle one on the switch is most of the lights besides the headlights will be on. When its "off" just the DRL on the front of the car should be on.

EDIT: I believe some or all of them have a light sensor built in the dash somewhere that will turn on the DRL automatically even when the switch is set to OFF

Also are you sure it pops up when you put it on the center one? I believe it wont pop up when you put it on the center one if the lights are set to OFF, but if the lights were on and you put it on the center one they should stay up but not be illuminated.

Last edited by HypervisorX; 11-29-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HypervisorX

Also are you sure it pops up when you put it on the center one? I believe it wont pop up when you put it on the center one if the lights are set to OFF, but if the lights were on and you put it on the center one they should stay up but not be illuminated.
i get what you mean and i am sure it pops when on center one. coming from left to center.

so i guess there is something wrong with the wiring? guess thats what happens when you try to fix stuff yourself lolz. its fun but not on your dd only car.

so where could the problem be?

never touched any wires beside the drl sokets. dont think the mechanic touched any.
took the stereo out once if it matters.

also to clarify something else.
when i turn it to the middle or the right , should the drl's increase in sensitivity or decrease?

Thanks a lot
Old 11-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Q8WS6
i get what you mean and i am sure it pops when on center one. coming from left to center.

so i guess there is something wrong with the wiring? guess thats what happens when you try to fix stuff yourself lolz. its fun but not on your dd only car.

so where could the problem be?
I honestly wouldnt worry about this unless it really bothers you or someone else here may know why this is an issue.

also to clarify something else.
when i turn it to the middle or the right , should the drl's increase in sensitivity or decrease?

Thanks a lot
I believe what you are seeing when it get brighter when you turn it to the middle/right is actually the fog lights coming on and that is why it appears brighter. The fog lights and the DRL are actually separate. Go out of the car and look at which actual lights are coming on.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

I honestly wouldnt worry about this unless it really bothers you or someone else here may know why this is an issue.
ya man sometimes i need my interior lights on without the headlights

I believe what you are seeing when it get brighter when you turn it to the middle/right is actually the fog lights coming on and that is why it appears brighter. The fog lights and the DRL are actually separate. Go out of the car and look at which actual lights are coming on.
and come on , i can tell the diffidence between the fog lights and the drl's

man it doesn't "appear"

when the headlights are on , the drl's become 20x brighter

when the headlights are off , they are not bright at all , below average brightness
Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you were stupid or something, that wasn't my intention but I see it kinda came out that way.

When I get home from work on monday night I can PM you the electrical diagrams for the DRL, headlamp door motors, and the light switch if you want to use those to try and troubleshoot the issue. If I remember correctly the Headlight **** switch is actually two three position switches (electrically).
Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

-DRLs should dim when the headlights are on, period.
-Headlights should not pop up going from OFF to parking light mode. Going from headlights to parking lights will keep the headlights up but the headlights themselves will be off.

-DRLs should be full brightness with parking brake off, key on. It does not matter if the light switch is off or in parking light mode.

-Going from key off with parking brake on will disable the DRLs until the light switch is moved to parking lights or headlights. The DRLs will be dim in parking light mode.

This is all for f-bodies without automatic headlights.

Here's a video about some LEDs I put in, but you can get an idea of how the DRLs should work:
Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

appreciate the replies , thanks a lot

now i know exactly how it should be, will see if i can get back to normal.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

well ,

replacing a stripped headlight gear made the headlights not go up when going from off to parking "not sure why".

and to _JB_ , please forgive me as your post couldn't have explained it better.
but should the DRL's dim , even a little bit , say 20% going from off to center? or does that mean something is still off.

Thanks a lot
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Q8WS6
well ,

replacing a stripped headlight gear made the headlights not go up when going from off to parking "not sure why".

and to _JB_ , please forgive me as your post couldn't have explained it better.
but should the DRL's dim , even a little bit , say 20% going from off to center? or does that mean something is still off.

Thanks a lot
Nope, the DRLs should be at 100% brightness with the headlights off. If you are seeing the DRLs dim when going from off to center, you battery might be a little low. Maybe check it when the engine is running?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by _JB_
Nope, the DRLs should be at 100% brightness with the headlights off. If you are seeing the DRLs dim when going from off to center, you battery might be a little low. Maybe check it when the engine is running?
will do that , Thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Lights switch question " DRL's and headlights "