Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 need advice for newb

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 need advice for newb

Hey All, lurking around for a while now and I'm about ready to get going.

So I picked up a LQ9 out of 2002 Escalade supposed to have 109k? My plan was to throw it in as is.... My obvious concern is the swap will require a bit of fab work, and I would hate to install a bad motor! It appears to be in good shape, it was removed nicely and I got every thing with it!

I'm new to LS and looking for input on where to begin with the engine, mostly to with the internal engine.
Thank for looking
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Were you unable to hear the engine run or verify vehicle mileage before you purchased it? What makes you concerned that it might be a bad engine? What vehicle?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Teching In

No I did not hear it run! and I only saw a photo of the odometer before the vehicle was parted out. This is my concern. So Im trying to come up with a plan to prove a motor is good on the stand.

I not really wanting to rebuild it, but if tearing it down is what I need to do I will! Where to go from here?

It came out of 2002 Escalade
Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it have a starter and is it on a stand? I would try to do a compression test for sure. You could do a leakdown test as well, but it won't be at operating temperature so expect the results to be worse by like 5% (I've heard 2-5% when cold). And do the obvious like check out the plugs and such. There are still problems that would sneak by but I think this would give you a decent idea of health.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Teching In

I broke the starter but I will replace it and do a compression test, what are good numbers?

I never have performed a leak down test, how is done?

Also I have read some stories of bad lifters after sitting on a stand, any experience with this? To further the lifter question, I had interest in a cam swap is this a bad idea, or the time to do it?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Teching In

I picked up an LQ9 out of an 05 escalade with 96K supposedly but I still did a full tear down except for the bottom end (rotating assembly) and discovered that a full once over with gaskets and seals was a good idea. Might as well do it while it's on the stand right? So for my reassurance I bought a full gasket/seal kit from rockauto.com (mucho $$$) and I feel 10 times better about what's going into my truck. And it looks good!!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

How long has it been sitting on the stand? Was just picking up a new cam yesterday and the casual conversation was about how when a motor sits on a stand that the needle bearings in the lifters are one of the first things to rust and then go once started back up on an engine that looks good externally. Good thing LS7 lifters are $100/set. The timeframe discussed was 1-3 years on a stand indoors.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I'm guessing it's been sitting for a 1 year? Who really knows I have it close to 6 months gathering parts and info

For piece of mind I'll get a good gasket set and go from there, I have a guy local who does side work, I'll give him a call..,
Old 01-24-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

At that age plus whatever unknown amount of time I would consider pulling the lifters and soaking them in oil. Or just get some new ones for cheap.

But I may have jumped the gun a bit as I just re-read that you said this thing is complete.

That's if it were sitting with intake or heads off.. If this is still complete motor with valve covers, oil pan, front cover, intake not removed, I'd bolt it in a go. IMO just like a paint job, for stock to mild-mid performance, the factory does it best and if it isn't obviously leaking why tear it apart before you hit 200K?

What vehicle is this engine being installed into?
Old 01-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Yes it is complete, and still together. I took off the Trans to have the output shaft changed over to 2wd version, I also took the wire harness off too, other than that it's a whole engine

I do need to change the oil pan, so I'll get a look there

I'm still interested in a cam swap, any input on this? Good or bad idea
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Sure. If it is not in the vehicle that's a great time to do a cam swap. And 100K is just getting broken in for LS motors that have been reasonably maintained.

So what is the destination vehicle?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Teching In

This will go in my 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser as a DD, I love the suv as it fits my needs and family, kids love the 3rd row seat, I hate the 6 cyl slug!!! All the neccesary parts are readily available ( mostly being the transfer case adapter) and there are quite a few well documented swaps on other forums!

Can you point me in the direction of a cam that might work for me?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

http://store.cammotion.com/drop-in-c...0-truck-364ci-

Curb weight on your vehicle looks to be about 4600lbs which isn't bad but is getting ip there with the vehicle the engine came out of. Add kids and cargo and you need low-end torque. See above link for a couple of "drop-in" cams that should give you modest power increases while leaving you with the torque you need right off idle to make the weight move.

But that 6.0 makes about twice the HP/TQ of the engine it is replacing so a cam is really not necessary IMO. Depends on what your goals are. Also it is my experience that you should add 50% or more to any calculated swap budget..and that $400-ish bucks for the cam might be better spent on the conversion.

I say all of that as I am walking out to the garage to start swapping the cam in the Jeep before I even wired the headlights back up. But I'm stupid.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:02 AM
Teching In

Well I can understand that aspect of a swap, I just can't leave anything alone!
I'm going to start with the adapter, they work out from there, and see how funds go
Old 01-26-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a good plan.

Are you adapting the LS to the Yota transmission or going LS/xLxxe to the factory transfer case?
Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Yes I will use a 465e that came with the engine, and the stock toyota transfer case.

Quick Reply: LQ9 need advice for newb