New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter selection

I have a awd 04 Yukon Denali with a 6.0 lq4. I pulled my trans for a rebuild and I'm having a hard time choosing a stall converter. I'm leaning towards a FTI 2600.....any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

i always heard yank ss, circle d and precision were really good companies

i have no idea for trucks for how big of a stall
i just know for the ls1 people say around a 3600 for daily
Old 07-11-2015, 03:50 PM

3600...really? Seems kinda high. I'm looking for more low to midrange power. I'm planning on putting on 243 heads, a mild cam and headers eventually but I'm not going to be putting on the strip....just want to blow by a few vehicles every now and then. Still want to be able to cruize down the highway comfortably. I have a company vehicle so it sits in the garage most of the time.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 04 Denali
3600...really? Seems kinda high. I'm looking for more low to midrange power. I'm planning on putting on 243 heads, a mild cam and headers eventually but I'm not going to be putting on the strip....just want to blow by a few vehicles every now and then. Still want to be able to cruize down the highway comfortably. I have a company vehicle so it sits in the garage most of the time.
ive never taken my car to the strip

3600 is what i was told for a daily driver and ive ridden in one with the yank ss3600..

ive just heard if you go to small you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ later on when you know you want to go bigger

i know for the car people say to not do any less then 3200

again i have no idea if it differs for the truck compared to my z28
Old 07-11-2015, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 04 Denali
I have a awd 04 Yukon Denali with a 6.0 lq4. I pulled my trans for a rebuild and I'm having a hard time choosing a stall converter. I'm leaning towards a FTI 2600.....any suggestions?

and i found this on another forum but was for a silverado 1500 having a lq4 dropped in

We had one truck with cam/ heads/ Long Tubes/ 3400 stall converter, etc etc etdc and a built 4L60e (FLT Level 5) held up just fine, a stock 6.0L motor is fine behind a decently built 4L60e.

and this on another forum specifically for the 04 denali 6.0 lq4

Yes definitely a Yank! I have a 3600 SST and I drive my truck to work 50 miles a day. My Yank and Cam dropped my E.T.'s over a full second. I will be in the 12's easily this summer.

On another note,
I would go with bigger springs then the LS6 springs with that combo. I think that they would be fine if you were N/A, but with a blower I wouldn't take a chance on them. They are a decent spring but don't hold near the seat pressure that 918's, or Patriot gold's will. The only reason I say this is I have seen on some boosted applications where the boost becomes enough to hold the intake valve open slighty. I would hate to see a sweet built go wrong with cheap springs.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:48 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help. This is the first ls style vehicle I've worked on....new for me. I've had some fast cars when i was younger but it seems alot has changed in the last 20 years.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 352 Likes on 244 Posts

Yank ss 3600 is what my buddy runs in his awd tbss.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

im wondering if theres truck specific converters made for your vehicle. a 3600 is great for a ls powered car but maybe it wouldnt be enough for your application.

i could be way off but maybe you might need a little more stall to get out of the hole easier.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Stay away from TCI,Hughes,B&M. Those are typically in stock on the shelf from places like Summit and Jegs. Not that there's anything bad or wrong about them but how can they supply a convertor without knowing the vehicles' specifics such as bolt-on mods,weight,rearend ratio. Those will have the annoying characteristic of requiring abnormally high rpm(slippage) to get the car moving. A 'custom' stall from Yank or CircleD will be matched to your situation. A good stall will drive almost like stock(or so close to stock,you'll think it is after driving a while. You feel its' performance aspect when you press the 'happy' pedal. It allows you to jump into the better part of the powerband without having to climb up to it thru the lower horsepower rpm range. 3500-4000 is our preferred range.

for example
Name:  LT1HPgraphwArrows_zps8d2a3a61.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  144.2 KB

contact Yank or CircleD,inform them of your vehicle and see what they recommend. It's better to do it right the first time instead of being dis-appointed and do it all over again because of a poor choice.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ what he said,a good Convertor will drive almost stock.

The Precision 3200 multi disk in my AWD truck drives stock until u lay in to it.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I just emailed circle D for a recommendation. I almost bought a 2000 stall the other day.....I'm glad i joined and got some solid advice. Again, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: torque converter selection