Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance rotors

I plan to motor cross my trans am. It needs brakes and I wanted an opinion on what rotors would yield the best results. Drilled, slotted, or drilled and slotted? Any opinion appreciated.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Plain rotors with good pads, brake fluid, tires, and if necessary, brake ducting.
Surface treatments (cross-drilling, slotting, etc.) are largely cosmetic.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

plain rotors !
Old 07-03-2015, 05:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

baer,wildwood,brembos. something like that if youre serious. upgrade your whole system.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 07-05-2015, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I know this will sound ludicrous but try a set of Pep Boys pro Stop high carbon rotors. They only make them for the frt so in the back you'll have to use their standard rotors. I put a set on my TA and honestly they ROCK, best rotors I've ever bought EVER.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I just installed brakemotive (eBay) package and love them! Was very skeptical of the price and ordering eBay brakes, but these are the best brakes I've ever installed of an fbody and NO squeaking even with some spirited driving!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche918
I plan to motor cross my trans am. It needs brakes and I wanted an opinion on what rotors would yield the best results. Drilled, slotted, or drilled and slotted? Any opinion appreciated.
if the goal is brake performance for motor cross then i wouldn't focus solely on the rotors. if you prioritize reducing unsprung weight and rotating mass, such as having spent $$$ on lightweight rims, then you may want to look at drilled rotors based on reduced weight. that's assuming you are on a budget and will be using the typical iron rotor. i wouldn't expect the drilled holes to increase braking. And unless you use some rotor other than iron then your brake pad choice will be mostly what determines braking performance.
2 questions back at you is what is your budget, and do you need one set of brakes for both street use and motorcross?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Drilled and slotted rotor means less surface area, so less braking power. Those same holes also mean less heat dissipation, which leads to shorter brake pad life, and more heat in the rotorz (ie increased odds of warping). Holes in the rotor are often places where stress cracks begin. Plain Jane is the way to go.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Drilled and slotted rotor means less surface area, so less braking power. Those same holes also mean less heat dissipation, which leads to shorter brake pad life, and more heat in the rotorz (ie increased odds of warping). Holes in the rotor are often places where stress cracks begin. Plain Jane is the way to go.
so is there any benefit at all?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
Looks
Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No doubt there are advantages for very specific applications in track racing and autocross. Trying to define that exact application is the hard part. For that you need to know all parameters (car weight, top speed, type of track, weather). What works for one guy might not work at all for the next one. For those who might only see several trips to the track per year the money might be better spent in quality solid rotors, brake pads, tires, high boiling point brake fluid, improved ventilation to wheel wells, training on improving your braking techniques, etc. Brake mods almost seem to have the same cult-like following as different motor oils. Everyone has their favorite and swears by it. For higher speed racing (and in the rain) there's probably usefulness for the slotted/drilled rotors. The professional racers frequently change brake set ups to accomodate all the different tracks they see. Rather than slotted or drilled rotors maybe a thicker metal one would perform better for occasional track use. It might be interesting to see what the NASCAR and circle track guys typically use. If you can afford carbon (like the F1's) that's an option.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-06-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plain rotors FTW, the more contact the mort stopping power you will have, no need to worry about the venting unless its a full out track car
Old 07-08-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plain cheap white box rotors, swap the pads out for track days. Hawk blues will chew threw a set of rotors in a couple of trips to the track
Old 07-08-2015, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

baer,wildwood,brembos. something like that if youre serious. upgrade your whole system.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Excellent advice if your getting serious. If not...a nice set of brembo blanks should do you well.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you have deep pockets then the cheap rotors with an aggressive pad are the way to go. When you road race brakes become a consumable just like tires.

Quick Reply: performance rotors