New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys, we're in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but if I put $15k into my car (was purchased three years ago for about $15k) it would kick the living **** out of a brand new Cobra that costs more AND has basic mods. Actually, I will have spent roughly $3k total on go fast mods and will be able to kick the crap out of a $35k Cobra here in a few days .
Spend $15K on a 5.0 (including car) and you'll have a blisteringly fast stang.

There is not really any use in comparing older cars to newer cars with regards to money. Older cars have depreciated in value, and there has been plenty of time for mods to come out and come down in price.

Appreciate the cobra's power, appreciate your power. They are both bad machines.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apathy
Spend $15K on a 5.0 (including car) and you'll have a blisteringly fast stang.

There is not really any use in comparing older cars to newer cars with regards to money. Older cars have depreciated in value, and there has been plenty of time for mods to come out and come down in price.

Appreciate the cobra's power, appreciate your power. They are both bad machines.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Here ya go guys: http://www.strictlypro.com/index.html

We have been talking about the few cobras running great times so here is the site. Go to vids section and watch a few, they are more than bad ***, they hellatiously awesome. Jay Knott's Sonic Blue 03 still has the IRS in it and he went into the tens even with a manual. Some amazing cars I have to say. I love both, and to tell you the truth I have been a member over at SVTPerformance for a very long time just for that reason. Un fortuately funds won't allow me to have a Cobra....but that isn't a bad thing. I am going to be buying an LS1 sometime here in the near future and I have no regrets at all since I know I can build the car to wax the floor with a Cobra. That is just the great thing about muscle, they are fun to drive no matter what kind they are. I like Ford, and I like Chevy...I am a little pissed at Chrysler right now for not bringing back a charger or challenger, and for what they did to my Viper.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unit213
Are you sure about that or are you just repeating the that's floating around the internet? Does this IRS look like it's having trouble?

http://www.mrx7.com/broke7/Movies/1121at123.WMV

Yes and no. It's pretty expensive to do...anywhere from 2-5 grand.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ight=halfshaft

Broke7's IRS is not a virgin anymore. He broke his halfshaft when he hit a pothole. I think it's safe to assume that all the punishment that he put his IRS at the track had finally taken it's toll. All you have to do is a quickie search on SVTPerformance and you will see that he has stayed in the throttle on more than one occasion when he experienced wheelhop while racing. That's just begging for a broken shaft. In my opinion, he was just living on borrowed time. If that shaft hadn't have broke on the street, I am pretty sure it would have failed at the track when he ran into some hop. The bottom line is the stock IRS on a modded Cobra is a big weak and I believe that's what the person you quoted was trying to say.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Whitten

We have been talking about the few cobras running great times so here is the site. Go to vids section and watch a few, they are more than bad ***, they hellatiously awesome. Jay Knott's Sonic Blue 03 still has the IRS in it and he went into the tens even with a manual. Some amazing cars I have to say. I love both, and to tell you the truth I have been a member over at SVTPerformance for a very long time just for that reason. Un fortuately funds won't allow me to have a Cobra....but that isn't a bad thing. I am going to be buying an LS1 sometime here in the near future and I have no regrets at all since I know I can build the car to wax the floor with a Cobra. That is just the great thing about muscle, they are fun to drive no matter what kind they are. I like Ford, and I like Chevy...I am a little pissed at Chrysler right now for not bringing back a charger or challenger, and for what they did to my Viper.
Don't forget that Jay has a $1500 set of DSS Level V halfshafts as well as MJChip's IRS brace so his IRS is far from stock. As a matter of fact, he beta-tested both products and broke a hub on DSS's Level V prototype shafts and they had to go back and beef them up a little more.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

I dont know if anyone has seen the site or not but it has a few actual dyno results of lots of cobras and one camaro.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/scmceven...dyno/page2.htm
Old 06-09-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Just curious, were any of the previous year cobras good? Or were they all sub-par?

Anybody know how easy they were to make fast? I know my aunt had an older cobra but I never got to ride around in it.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bads02Z28
I'm a GM guy down to the core. But right now the biggest bang for the buck(brand new car) is the new 'bras. If I was going to buy a BRAND NEW car now, it would be a Cobra. Now if I had the money, I would just get a Mach 1 and drop in a Cobra motor and trans. Lighter with a solid axle=one fast Ford. Now take the mods to that car and you'll have yourself one hell-of-a sleeper. But like I said, I'm a GM guy with no $, so the '02 Z will have to compete.
Either way these are American cars and GM needs to step-up and take back whats rightfully thiers!
Old 06-09-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whitten

dude chill chrysler is bringing back THE CHARGER Wiht a hemi, and men those thigns actually make more power than our ls1 noooooooooooooooooooooo.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

will they make more power than ls2s?
Old 06-09-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

I can't believe I started this five pager... with a bs sarcastic post.

UltimateOrangeSS: seen the torque curve on the ls2? It's friggin awesome, better than the ls6. Whether or not it'll take a hemi, have to wait for one of the guys who are "in the know"
Old 06-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Man I love the war between brothers in muscle cars. It is great that the era of Muscle Cars has once again risen and is here to stay.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Too bad the camaros weren't here to stay. GM got the bright idea to say, "Na, we don't need those anymore, we don't care who we **** off. We're losing a few hundred thou but we are a multi gazillion dollar company. GOTTA MAKE CUTS!!!" thank the lord they haven't decided to kill the vette too!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want an 03 cobra
Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Abidar
"Na, we don't need those anymore, we don't care who we **** off. We're losing a few hundred thou but we are a multi gazillion dollar company. GOTTA MAKE CUTS!!!"
Companies don't care who they **** off. They care about numbers. In the red or in the black. That's how it goes.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone who disses a 500+ whp muscle car (a Camaro/Firebird or a Mustang is technically a pony car) is saying, "I got more and can hand you your a$$". How many of you have ACTUALLY beaten a modded SC 4.6 at the track (not could, not tomorrow, not with my next setup)? They are fast! No BS!

Honest, 500+ whp is attainable with $3K. Sure you can match the 4.6 hp-for-hp if you want, but it ain't gonna be that easy! As for the ultimate hp potential of either engine, what's the level of your mods? Have you blown a clutch, a RE, or something else in the drive train? The engine in either one just isn't the weak link. I've seen stock LS1's with a broken piston on a 150 shot. That'll ruin your day!

Props to Ford for putting together a power-maker. If you get complacent, they'll hand you your a$$, forget about displacement or power adders or weight or anything else. Credit where credit is due.

You are all right, LS1 and SC 4.6 are two different ways of making lots of power. But arrogance doesn't win races, now does it? It doesn't matter if you agree or not while you're at your keyboard! Face it, both can be fast as hell!

Last edited by TeeKay; 06-09-2004 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeeKay
How many of you have ACTUALLY beaten a modded SC 4.6 at the track (not could, not tomorrow, not with my next setup)? They are fast! No BS!
i've beaten one

had lowest UPGRADED pulley (i dunno 12 psi or something?) because he was paranoid about overboosting (lol) but it did have full header-back exhaust, a cold-air, a chip, a shifter and a set of drag radials.....gave me a hell of a run for my money!!!.....but i edged him out.

BUT, like i said myself before and like teekay said, they are damn fast!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I havnt read the entire post because I need to get back to work, so this might be repeated. But yall know that HP TV's next new project is a 99 Z28 right. At least they are going to show everyone out there what the ls1 can do with some money behind it. The first show is this coming Sunday, I think, I do know its the next new episodes so lets look for it and see if they know what the hell they are talking about.

Fry
Old 06-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frey51
I havnt read the entire post because I need to get back to work, so this might be repeated. But yall know that HP TV's next new project is a 99 Z28 right. At least they are going to show everyone out there what the ls1 can do with some money behind it. The first show is this coming Sunday, I think, I do know its the next new episodes so lets look for it and see if they know what the hell they are talking about.

Fry

I'm going to guess they will do ALOT more than a Hypertech, and a pulley on this 99 Z28.. and it STILL will be down atleast 100 hp on the 03 Cobra when they are done..

Also, for less than 4 grand in mods, you can have 600+ hp to the ground on an 03 Cobra.. Kenne Bell Blowzilla kit and catback..

Also, for those that say, "just put a supercharger on a LS1 and it will beat the Cobra with any supercharger" how many LS1's out there can handle 650+ hp on a stock long block? NONE, ZILCH, NADA.. it's not going to happen.. the rods and pistons can't handle that for very long at all, where 650+ hp on an 03 Cobra is SAFE(with a good tune, same as any engine needs)

FYI, yes I had an LS1.. in a 98 Vette
Old 06-14-2004, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Don't worry, Silver. HP TV will **** that car up good for sure. I bet it will see a Blowmaster catback and a 100 dry shot. Not a good gauge of potential. You give me 4 grand and I will make a cam and nitrous ls1 that will eat that 650hp Cobra alive. With less hp.

Quick Reply: Guys, we're in trouble