Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wipers not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers not Working

My windshield wipers all of the sudden quit working at none of the speed settings but for some reason the wipers work with the washer tab. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'Formula
My windshield wipers all of the sudden quit working at none of the speed settings but for some reason the wipers work with the washer tab. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
I dont know how they are set up on F-body's but my winter beater (93 Jeep Cherokee) had the same problem, check the fuses and the actual switch before you get into anything else.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

I checked the fuses and they were all good but how do I chech the switch?
Old 06-11-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'Formula
I checked the fuses and they were all good but how do I chech the switch?
LOL good question, this is probably why they STILL dont work in the jeep. My dad was the one that told me to check the "switch" and by this i think he means like take the actual lever apart that has the **** that u turn to toggle the wipers on and off. I'm not sure exactly what this will accomplish or how to even tell if its the actual "on/off" switch that is bad. Havnt driven the jeep since the last snow storm so now that we're on this topic, i'm gonna take a look when i get home today, if i figure anything out i will let you know.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds good
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Mine are doing the opposit. They won't turn off. Its been raining here for the past 4 days and when I got in the car yesterday, they wouldn't turn off. The switch is off, but the wipers still go. I had to pull the fuse. Havn't had much time to look at it yet.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Wierd
Old 06-11-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem with mine... sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Whenever they don't work, they will still function either on high speed or by hitting the washer tab, just like yours.

From what I've heard from researching this, it's either the relay on the board itself, or the actual motor is dying. Either way, you gotta pull the windshield wiper motor out, which is under the cowl, under the driver's side wiper. Sounds like a PITA to get to, and if you're going to pull it anyway, you might as well get an all new wiper motor assembly.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah sometimes it would work on high but like after 10 sec or so they die and wont go back to the off position. Its allmost like the motor was dying but when i push the washer tab the worked just fine. I was like
Old 07-30-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Mine are doing the opposit. They won't turn off. Its been raining here for the past 4 days and when I got in the car yesterday, they wouldn't turn off. The switch is off, but the wipers still go. I had to pull the fuse. Havn't had much time to look at it yet.
sorry to revive an old thread... but mine are stuck mid way.. they work fine, but when I turn the **** to " OFF " they just get stuck mid way.. in my face

What fuse did you pull to disable the entire system ? Its not supposed to rain here [ hopefully ] so I might as do that as a band aid fix for now...

I'm also wondering if resetting the battery will fix this ? looks like a timing issue lol..

Its a 98 TA

Thanks!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

There's a name for it, "wiper park", or something like that. It's built into the wiper motor. You'll probably need to replace the wiper motor.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers not Working