Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie need help!

Hey guys Im new to the forum and to building cars in general so brace yourself… Sorry in advance.
BUT, I am looking to build a car that will do work on the drag strip but will also be capable of a sunday cruise on pump gas. I am buying a 1995 z28 camaro for $600 bucks today that has a "built" 4l60e in it.. I told the guy to keep the motor in order to get the car for 600 because I want to start from the ground up. I have almost bought a few ls1's but I am hesitant to pull the trigger after reading the forums and getting confused.
Im looking at a $5000 budget and have a guy who builds race engines in the area who owes me a big one and will do all of the work for free so this is basically to acquire the parts I need.. although I will be doing as much myself as I can.. Having owned a ford for 6 years I've done a good bit of repair work lol
Anyways where to start? As for the block Ive been looking towards an ls1 due to their availability but also seen a few guys swap them for lq motors? But basically thats the start and could be acquired soon once I figure out what I want to go with..
Other than that I basically need any and all opinions and recommendations for the motor build and parts.. Just concentrating on the motor for now and will get into the transmission and rearend later on.. The $5000 budget is a rough estimate with a supercharger or turbo in mind for later that WILL NOT be a part of that budget.. I will also be posting pictures and updates of the build.
Again thanks for any and all comments and sorry for the lack of knowledge.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So is your ultimate goal to go with a supercharger or turbo setup? If so, I'd look for a junk yard 5.3 or 4.8. Both of those motors do great with boost. You should also be able to find a 5.3 or 4.8 or far less money than a 5.7 or 6.0. Now, if you're building a NA or nitrous setup, then I'd look for a 5.7 or 6.0 (LQ4 or LQ9).
Old 12-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

I am looking at an ls1 with 140k miles on craigslist for $1800 hoping he may take less if thats the option you guys recommend.. Little high on the mileage as I would like but hoping the block may still be young enough.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Im not really sure yet.. Seeing as a few pro chargers are available on craigslist I may go that route?? And yes I'm sure I will spray it at some point..
Old 12-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

ALSO!!! The guy will throw in an lt1 for 200 more dollars but if thats not ultimately what I want to go with I don't want to waste any money at all.. Would rather pay 1800 for an ls1 to get the best end result rather than the lt1 for 200 especially having no idea what kind of condition the lt1 is in.. But then again if the lt1 platform would be best I will grab that motor when I pick the car up.. This question has now become the most urgent!!!!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

I personally would go the LSx route, not the LTx route. I think that guy is crazy thinking he's going to get $1,800 for a 140k mile LS1.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

ok great Ill save that 200 for later then. But yeah I was thinking I could get him down some for sure.. There are a few ls1/4l60e combos out there but they will not separate motor and tranny.. So I may end up just selling the tranny in this car and trying to get my hands on one of those combos
Old 12-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Also if I should post this thread somewhere else in the forum to get more opinions and reply's Ill do that too
Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

You're in the right section. So the LS1 for $1,800, does that include the tranny, or just the motor? Does it come with the wiring harness? I still think you'd be better off getting a junk yard 5.3 for what you're looking to do. Even if it takes you a while to get a Procharger or turbo setup, they still run good in NA form with an aftermarket cam and supporting mods. They even do quite well with spray.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

That was just the motor, wiring harness and computer. I got the car back and its gonna be a long process.. It basically all depends on the deals I come across. But Im hoping to get ahold of an ls1/4l60e car parts car or a pullout where the car is still available and I can get all the accessories for the motor, motor mounts, k-member and the list goes on.. Got the car today and its in rough shape but not bad for 500 bucks. Ill just basically need everything as far as the engine bay goes. Interior is tolerable at least for now. Getting some 2013 camaro ss black leather seats tomorrow that will be a project of its own but looking forward to making them fit and will post details and pics about that. Hoping to have all the random junk out of the engine bay and the tranny out tomorrow to get ready to paint the engine bay this weekend.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Junkyard 5.3 all day. Cheap, rebuild it well within your budget. New cam, forged rods/pistons, bearings, lifters etc. Motor will take a beating and keep going. Figure out what route you want to go and get a cam spec'D for it, although cam swaps are easy if you do change your mind later. $1800 for a 140k ls1 is ridiculous.

EDIT: for a stock ls1. If it's modded, maybe 1800, depending on the mods.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Alright I've got the tranny, headers, all the random crap in the engine bay and almost have the wiring harness out which has been a pain.. How the heck to I get the wiring harness off the firewall? I have managed to not cut any wires or break any connectors and all that stuff is hanging off where it connects to the fire wall on the drivers side. I got the to clips off each side but CANNOT get that thing off

FIVEPOINT7 thanks for the input! I have recently been heavily considering that option being cheap and reliable from what I have heard. Also I wouldn't be as hesitant to tear into it and try to do the work myself if I don't have all that much money in it. But I have also been considering the 6.0 l truck engine for more ci? what do you think?

Also I have contacted a guy who has an ls1/4l60e with 60k miles on it and i asked if I brought my tools and did it myself if I could take the k member, motor mounts, steering linkage, and rear driveshaft off the 2000 trans am that it came out of for 3500? What do you guys think about that?
Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Old 12-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Just after I got her home
Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

First two nights were just spent getting everything out. Hoping to have the engine bay painted by the end of the weekend. Im just gonna do the best I can with some rattle can primer and paint with some good prep. Ill post a pic when its done.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Not planning on touching the exterior as for as cosmetics goes.. don't want those mustangs to see me comin. right now just going to spend money on motor, tranny, rear end(thinking ford 9"), and suspension. Also what stall converter would you guys recommend? Gonna throw a B&M shifter in there also. Leaning towards 4:10/4:30 gears from what I've read but id like to be able to cruise at 70 mph every once in a while and not be at 6k rpms lol AGAIN if there is a newbie on this forum its me so I'm just throwing some things out there hoping for a response and input from you guys.

Quick Reply: Newbie need help!