Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 went bad AGAIN-help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question O2 went bad AGAIN-help!

I installed Hooker LT's and a Hooker ORY on my car at about 5k miles. At 11k, the driver's side 02 sensor went bad, so I replaced it with another AC Delco. At 39k miles, that one went out, so once again I installed a new Delco. It lasted under 3k miles, and is now throwing FIVE different codes. One is, of course, bad O2 sensor bank one, another is some sort of o2 heater code, the third is a random misfire, and the other two are a 1133 and 1153 ( I was told they had to do with the O2 sensor also). Is there any reason I went through that one that quickly, and any reason for 5 codes? Also, is it normal to have to replace one three times in about 40k miles? The passenger side is the factory original, and has never gone out.

TIA!!

Tarah
Old 06-16-2004, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Nope, local shop never got around to scheduling me, so I gave up. I know it's got ignition probs, as you can see on the dyno graph- this is with about 6k on the car, 1k on the headers etc...And again, over 40k on the pass. side with no probs, but 3 gone bad on the driver side.
Attached Thumbnails O2 went bad AGAIN-help!-tjdyno.jpg  
Old 06-16-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With both headers and an oddball MAF on there,
you really want tuning. I don't see how those
graphs indicate an ignition problem. Fueling is a
more likely bet.

I think you've got neighbors on here, might find
someone in the Triangle who's willing to help you
out with logging or maybe even get the tune
straight. If you're tuned clean the sensors will
work longer without fouling. I think I've even seen
a Carolina Auto Masters dude (or one of 'em) post,
like the shop on your dyno sheet.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SheDevlLS1
I installed Hooker LT's and a Hooker ORY on my car at about 5k miles. At 11k, the driver's side 02 sensor went bad, so I replaced it with another AC Delco. At 39k miles, that one went out, so once again I installed a new Delco. It lasted under 3k miles, and is now throwing FIVE different codes. One is, of course, bad O2 sensor bank one, another is some sort of o2 heater code, the third is a random misfire, and the other two are a 1133 and 1153 ( I was told they had to do with the O2 sensor also). Is there any reason I went through that one that quickly, and any reason for 5 codes? Also, is it normal to have to replace one three times in about 40k miles? The passenger side is the factory original, and has never gone out.

TIA!!

Tarah
when your O2's were goin bad....what did the car feel like? did it bogg down, or have arough idle?
Old 06-17-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

The first O2 that went out felt that way, but the other 2 times it has been unnoticeable. It was driving fine, then the SES light came on and was steady. This last time it was steady, and flashed for a few seconds one time a few days after the SES light came on, but not since then. Someone said that it may be rich/lean on bank 1, causing only that one to go bad. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SheDevlLS1
The first O2 that went out felt that way, but the other 2 times it has been unnoticeable. It was driving fine, then the SES light came on and was steady. This last time it was steady, and flashed for a few seconds one time a few days after the SES light came on, but not since then. Someone said that it may be rich/lean on bank 1, causing only that one to go bad. Any other suggestions?
I was having a similiar problem on my 2001 T/A right after I bought it back in Sept. The SES light would come on... stay on for a few days then go off. Then it wouldn't come back on for a week...then it came back all the time. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad o2 sensor. Had it changed... A few days later same thing. I hooked it up to a friends laptop code reader and it was throwing a bad catalytic converter code. I took it to a different dealer this time. They got the same code, changed the faulty cat...haven't had any problems since...and that was November.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

I've been thru 3 O2 sensors on the driver's side, 2 on the passenger since going with LT and ORY Pretty much same codes as yours I've had the bird tuned/LS1 Edit I'll probably jinx myself by saying this, but haven't had to replace in a while
Old 06-18-2004, 01:51 PM

If you are talking about rear O2's, Just delete them or run sims. Have you had the car tunes since the headers? You could be running rich and burning them out.