Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making car lighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Making car lighter

How much does making your car ligher help. I tried looking but couldnt find anything specific. Is there like a pound per secound ratio or anything. On a general basis of course. I looked at a few list and tried to find things i could remove but i really dont want to remove any of the stuff.

I wouldnt mind removing the spare tire but will tha help much? Also considering its over the back wheel would removing it hurt traction any on street tires?

Also i usually try and run my car with a quarter tank of gas. But i have major traction problems so should i use more fuel. Or will the extra fuel slow me down more than help the traction? I talking about street racing not track.

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 06-18-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Dead weight is the number one killer. Imagine sprinting the 40 yard dash with a backpak on containing a 40 lb sand bag in it.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For more info on weight reduction, check the thread
in the Drag Racing forum.

Acceleration goes as HP/weight. Losing 10lb is like
gaining 1HP, and often cheaper.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks,
Ill check that section. I understand that anything lighter helps but im refering to the traction also.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:01 PM

You will prefer to remove nose weight for drag
racing. Not sure whether extra rear weight will
help any. Even if it did help you, off the line, you
have to then drag it all the way down the track
long after traction has stopped being the limit to
acceleration. I think overall fatter is still going to
be slower.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okey..... couple things to think about here....
lets start with your first consern traction... removing weight IMPROVES off the line traction... why ? well think about it this way ...
traction is the amount of grip that is required to overcome your cars natural tendancy to stay motionless. the tendancy to stay in one place is greater ,the greater the weight of your car. the less your car weights the less traction is required to move it forward...

now you are right that you want more weight in the back however removing weight from the back does not really hurt your traction anymore then it is...

now how to get the best of both worlds... launching is all about timing, technic, traction and weight transfer...
in order to get more traction while your losing weight is simple... look not only for things you can remove... but look for things you need but that you can move to the back...
like that heavy **** battery of yours... now how can you make 40 lbs of battery help you?
simple. move it to your trunk. run your power cables to it there...
not only have you lost 40 lbs out of your nose you have gained 40 lbs over your traction tires.... you now have 80 lbs of weight transfer for free....

i wont tell you all of them but you get the idea...

(mines 3100 lbs and losing more soon)
Old 06-18-2004, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

jaberwaki,

Great comment!!! Seems u got this down packed. Appreciate the help.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

its about racers helping racers man
no one has it DOWN PACKED... but i have learned a thing or 2 by trying things, and by listening to guys that have done this for 20+years...

oh yeh... if you wanna cure your traction probs first take a look to lca's, tq arm, and tires also there are only 4 nuts holding your front sway bar on .... you can take it off with ease at the track..(i drive without mine) it takes 14 lbs off the nose and make a dramatic change in weight transfer... the nose will climb much higher and the rear will squat...
Old 06-19-2004, 02:03 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks,
I have been looking at lca's and relocation brackets. Also a guy i know just told me about him getting his torque arm stronger by welding some pieces on it. I am going to look into that also.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Thanks,
I have been looking at lca's and relocation brackets. Also a guy i know just told me about him getting his torque arm stronger by welding some pieces on it. I am going to look into that also.
after a good amount of suspension mods you might be forced to look for a near rear, our stock 7.5" 10-bolt rear axles don't hold up for very long. Unfortunately, they're the weak link in the F-Body.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:59 AM

True, the rear end is between a rock and
a hard place. But if you make the rock
lighter that can't hurt....
Old 06-19-2004, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

I just got my new rear installed. Its a long story but there was a v6 rear end under it and i changed it to a posi. I never want to deal w/ gears again. But i know they are week my friend broke his and his car isnt even modded very heavily. I have seen some peoples last a long time w/ a lot of mods tho. So i guess is luck of the draw. I hate to spend $2000+ on something that doesnt gain hp. Besides for a college student 2gs seems like $4gs. But i know it must be done at some point, just hope i cant make it 1 more year.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

if you are worryed about spending money then light weight is the weight to go....
it costs very little to nothing to pull stuff out
Old 06-21-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

first of all lets really address your traction problem: STREET TIRES = wont hook
You need a good set of drag radials if you ever want to hook up good.

Weight reduction has lots of benefits. Not only does it get the car down the track quicker, it will help your car stay together. Heavy cars have more of a chance of breaking parts than lighter weight cars. Getting a rachet and a 13mm socket works wonders Taking seats out is the easiest way to loose weight, along with the spare tire and jack, and as stated front sway bar is a MUST. Front sway bar came off my car a couple days after I bought it. You don't have to take out your A/C and saftey equimpment to lighten the car up.

Since you have an A4 I hope a tq converter is on your list of soon to be mods.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

whats the front sway bar for then considering you can take it off and it doesnt hurt anything?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
whats the front sway bar for then considering you can take it off and it doesnt hurt anything?

its for handling. i would only take it off at the track or before i went to the track. u probaly get alot of body roll without it. it doesn't hurt anything but u prob won't like how the car responds
Old 06-22-2004, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

the body does roll more, but then i dont much care for the swirlys.... something about comming around a corner on the edge only to find a pothole in the street and lose it
nope not for me....

i love the way it feels.. the nose comes up at every light even if i dont hit the gas hard.