New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best air filter for these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is the best air filter for these cars?

I have been running a Specter cotton filter for about a year, and it has been great... but on this forum I keep reading about oil filters screwing up MAFs (no problems yet) and someone else posted that cotton filters will destroy your engine because they let more dirt through compared to paper?

So is there a high quality paper filter I can get? I just changed the oil, but it's coming time to clean the filter, change spark plugs etc. and I just wanted best performance / safest for engine.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you looked into the high flow dry filters like AEM and whatnot? Also the whole oiled filter screwing things up and letting to much crap through thing is way over exaggerearated in my opinion. If you care for it the correct way you should be fine
Old 01-23-2018, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've had a K&N filter on both my cars for about 14 years(Formula) and 7 years(TA) respectively and never had a problem.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^x2, my k&n was on the car when i bought it (im 2nd owner) never had a problem in 14 years! just dont over oil. back in the day the filter oil came in a bottle you poured on , now with spray oil its much easier not to over oil. after i clean & oil i let sit overnight on top of a trash can so if anything drips it goes in the trash and not on my MAF
Old 01-23-2018, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I am not a fan of oiled air filters for cars with an MAF. Some folks have no issues, others eventually find oil film on the MAF wires. I've personally seen minor oil film deposited on one of my MAFs from a K&N that was only ever factory oiled, so it can happen even if you don't over-oil them. Cleaning the MAF on occasion can take care of this, or you can just use paper or some other dry filter. It is true that paper is the better filter, but I agree that "engine damage" resulting from K&N style filters is highly exaggerated by some.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

any thoughts on what is your favorite paper filter to run? also any thoughts on the best way to clean your MAF? thx rpm.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
any thoughts on what is your favorite paper filter to run? also any thoughts on the best way to clean your MAF? thx rpm.
I typically use Fram air filters, but I've also used Delco brand. I remember that there was hype years ago about Fram air filters flowing better than other paper filters, but even if this were true it would probably mean they were a little less good at filtering. Either way, I don't think it's a significant difference.

As for the MAF, some folks like to use the spray cleaners, but I've found that they don't do as good of a job as the direct contact method (Q-tips and rubbing alcohol), especially if the MAF in question is very dirty. Of course, care must be taken if you're going to do this with Q-tips; just don't use any pressure on the wires and nothing will be damaged.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've ran the AEM Dryflow filter in a few of my cars and was happy with it. I guess the best way to describe these types of filters is they flow a little better than paper, but a little less than the oiled filters, and filtration falls between the two.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. This has been beat to death
2. IMHO (and experience) K&N "lets too much by".
3. Wix for a DD and K&N race car only.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
1. This has been beat to death
I did do a search. Forums don't tend to have the best search algorithms unless you set up all the filters right, because 4 pages of searching gave me no useful information. So, this is "Newbie Tech" questions, and I'm going to post "Newbie Tech" questions... I mean, that's kind of the point?

At any rate, thank you everyone else for the answers. I'm gonna be looking at the dry filters, I think. And I might clean my MAF after installing it, since I'm switching from an oiled one.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I run a k&n and just vacuum it to clean it. I never oil it.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I run a k&n and just vacuum it to clean it. I never oil it.
Does that limit its filtration ability, though?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Does that limit its filtration ability, though?
No, but I don't drive through sand storms either. Lol.
In not worried about it in the least.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

When you buy a K & N filter it comes out of the box a nice, even orange color. But it was only sprayed with a little of the orange colored oil before it was boxed up. And then it sat on the shelf, in the warehouse, etc, for at least a month before you buy it and open it up. Then there was time for the oil to migrate through the filter.

So people who are cleaning and re-oiling these filters tend to spray enough oil on their newly cleaned K & N to make it look the same. That is too much oil. Just a little on the top side and let the filter sit, or at least let the oil be pulled through.

Personally I quit the KN because the fitment wasn't good and after about 6 years of running one I found stuff that had bypassed the filter. I never had any MAF issues with over-oiling.

So I am a paper filter guy again and just change it instead of cleaning the KN.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've used the k&n for about 5 years. Seemed to work alright. Most likely will go high flow paper next. My friend has an LS based 69 camaro and he is really digging the R2C Black hex. It's a conical filter for his application, but I'm looking into availability for F Body cars/lid setup.

Last edited by black sky; 01-24-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the best air filter for these cars?