Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1- LS6 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1- LS6 swap.

Ok so here is a question that I have asked and searched but just seem to not be able to get a deffinate answer to, what all is entailed in doing the swap. Lets say potentially that I have a motor that has everything on it, including the brackets, and the all the accesories and even the harness and computer from the vette. Would there be anything else that I would need?
Old 07-09-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did this swap using a GMPP long block and swapped all of my accessories, intake manifold etc. I know you will have to use the f-body oil pan and I think you will have to use the f-body exhaust manifolds and accessories. I know the accessory drive is different because I had to swap the crank pulley for everything to line up. I would imagine that you will have to swap the accessories given the different chassis. It's a nice swap, put me right in the 12's. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So your going to swap out motors for 40rwhp? Not worth it IMO. I would sell the LS6 motor and use the money to buy some awesome mods for your LS1. Its just to much work and cash to swap it for a mild cam and a little better head. For the selling price of that motor you can probably pick up some vendor ported LS6 castings or the new AFR's along with a decent sized cam and make some huge power.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A decent H/C package will get you more than what the LS6 will give you. It will not only cost a lot less, but take a lot less effort. Save the money, the LS6 is not any stronger than the LS1, in terms of internal strength
Old 07-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Launching!

You guys are missing the point here, I have a brand new motor with low mileage if I do this, it is stock, and is going to be reliable. It is not so much for the added power as it is that it has alot less miles on it as compared to the car that I am getting. My parents are helping me with college, and part of what they said they would do was to put me in a safe reliabel car. No heads, no cams, and no internal work, I don't have 3,000 laying around to buy just parts. Nor do I have the time to fool with tunning the car, or the headaches that come with doing rebuilds. I have found a motor that is cheap, in low mileage condition, and my parents are agreable to that is why I asked the question. If I wanted to build a monster I would skip the LS-1 Block all together and spend 9,000 at Lamar Walden having it built out of a 6.0 cast block.

So from what I I can see, I am going to have to swap my pullies, my oil pan, exhaust manifolds, and brackets off of the old motor onto the new one. Does anyone know if the accesories from the vette will fit onto the f-body or are they completly differnt all together? Also will the wiring harness, and the computer from the vette work?
Old 07-11-2004, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm still scratching my head here.
i get the whole i want a reliable car thing , i do really.
but you think fab fitting a new motor in your car will be.
a. less of a headache
b. less time consumeing
c. less expencive

then pulling your old motor(which you would have to do anyways) bolting it to a motor stand (150 bucks) and doing a basic overhaul (gaskets,bearings,spings ect.) that any wrench turner should be able to do in a solid weekend(if you have all the parts) and slaping it right back in on the stock mounts,with the stock accesseries and keep you pcm right where it is.???

i dont get it but hey good luck.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Let's not beat our heads against the wall here to much. I realize this may not seem practical to all of ya'll, but I do know how much it costs to rebuild a motor. I know from experience that you can't just replace gaskets, rings, and berings and not do machine work, and then not expect the motor to have more problems. I am not going to spend 3000 on a heads and cam car, and have more issues with driveline, or body flex issues. I am not trying to achieve a drag car by any means. I am simply trying to ask questions about swaps to others on what else I might be leaving out in the swap.

So far i have discoverd that it will be an easy swap what just having to swap parts from one motor to another. There is no fabbing, it is the same motor almost to a T, besides the fact that 30 % of the 2001- 2002 Z-28/ss's came with LS6 blocks.

So here is the deal, this what I am doing, and there is no way for anyone else to tell me to buy some other parts, or try a different motor. This is what I have to work with, and that is it...no more, and no less. I will be selling parts off of the Z06 motor that I don't need, and the LS1 as well.
Originally Posted by jaberwaki
i'm still scratching my head here.
i get the whole i want a reliable car thing , i do really.
but you think fab fitting a new motor in your car will be.
a. less of a headache
b. less time consumeing
c. less expencive

then pulling your old motor(which you would have to do anyways) bolting it to a motor stand (150 bucks) and doing a basic overhaul (gaskets,bearings,spings ect.) that any wrench turner should be able to do in a solid weekend(if you have all the parts) and slaping it right back in on the stock mounts,with the stock accesseries and keep you pcm right where it is.???

i dont get it but hey good luck.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

again,
best of luck to you
Old 07-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Thanks man.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

go here you can spend like 2 grand and convert your ls1 to a ls6

http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?P...S&Category=241

but for the money you can go after market and get more power with ls1 mods
Old 07-12-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Question Engine Swap

I see your point about building a reliable car. But, maybe you should have posted ALL the facts first before you tell everyone to cool it??? These guys are just here to help you out with building a monster motor for the cheapest $ possible. It wasn't till after you stated ALL the facts that people started to understand what you are going to be doing with the LS6. Good luck with the new engine and let us know how it works out for ya!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One other thing, your car better be a six speed or the Corvette computer won't work. Well, it will work, but your transmission won't shift. The Z06 is only available in a six speed, so the computer will not support the 4L60E. Also, if you use the Corvette computer it will be programmed with the Corvette vin and you will have a hell of a time getting it inspected or serviced. I'm pretty sure the inspection machine and all of the scan tools/programmers read the vin to do whatever it is they do. Any tuner should be able to re-flash your Camaro computer to work with the LS6, I had mine done and it works fine. I think most places charge around $450 for this.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry to sound like an ***, but saying that you are wanting to swap an LS1 to an LS6 for reliability is the stupidest thing I have heard for a while. LS1s last a long *** time, even with beating the hell out of them
Old 07-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Well as long as an LS1 may last Strahley, I am not going to be buying a low mileage vehicle. I am on a vehicle right now that has a slight tick in it (more than likely over reved. It is a 98 Z-28 six speed, as that is one of my few stipulations on getting the car, and has about 105,000 miles on it. So knowing that info might make more sense for me to build this car the way I am. I am going cheap so that I have money left over to do certain things like this motor, and also a few others like a 12 bolt and such. You don't sound like an *** at all, so don't sweat it.

Fast 01 thanks for the heads up, I figured that would be the case, and have a friend who works at Lamar Walden who can point me in the right direction for a tuner. You made a good point with the VIN, and I figured a good tune after some mods would be a good investment anyway. Good thing for me is that in Alabama where I will be registering the vehicle, they don't do any kind of emmisions testing.