New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘98-‘02 Muffler only replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022 | 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default ‘98-‘02 Muffler only replacement

If one is just looking to replace the muffler for sound is one pigeon holed to a big 18”-20” long oem style muffler? I’d like to keep the stock square tips. Has anyone used a 13” or so 40 series muffler or the likes? How/where was the muffler placement? How does it look?
The muffler being visible seems like it’d make it hard to use a “universal” muffler and not look bad. I know to use a single in and dial out, but how’s it going to look back there? I have these mufflers with a diff inlet/outlet on another car and they sound good. Do y’all think a muffler shop could weld it in without it looking crappy?
https://www.amazon.com/Flowmonster-430402-FM-FLOWMONSTER-2-CHAMBER-MUFFLER/dp/B07X2YZQZG/ref=asc_df_B07X2YZQZG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=494913743913&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16843304506022317909&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027891&hvtargid=pla-1162808241106&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Flowmonster-430402-FM-FLOWMONSTER-2-CHAMBER-MUFFLER/dp/B07X2YZQZG/ref=asc_df_B07X2YZQZG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=494913743913&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16843304506022317909&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027891&hvtargid=pla-1162808241106&psc=1
Old 01-26-2022 | 08:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Any competent exhaust shop can weld in a smaller case-size muffler and extend the I-pipe (where it crosses over the axle) and/or the driver's side tail pipe to re-center the muffler. FWIW, the SS/WS6 cars used a smaller (shorter) muffler from the factory and that fit just fine.

I did exactly what you're describing on my '02 Z28 (except I used rolled edge SS tips) and the smaller muffler didn't look bad or out of place at all. Sorry, I don't have any pics that show the muffler but, again, if the shop has any clue how to weld and hang an exhaust system, then it will look just fine.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022 | 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Any competent exhaust shop can weld in a smaller case-size muffler and extend the I-pipe (where it crosses over the axle) and/or the driver's side tail pipe to re-center the muffler. FWIW, the SS/WS6 cars used a smaller (shorter) muffler from the factory and that fit just fine.

I did exactly what you're describing on my '02 Z28 (except I used rolled edge SS tips) and the smaller muffler didn't look bad or out of place at all. Sorry, I don't have any pics that show the muffler but, again, if the shop has any clue how to weld and hang an exhaust system, then it will look just fine.
Thanks man. Exhaust for Dummies.. When I’m shopping mufflers what should I be looking for? An offset 2.5” single in and dual 2.5” out? Can the inlet be used as an outlet and vise versa? I was wanting to go with the ole trusty Flowmonster’s but it looks like they only make them in a center single in and dual out so that’s probably a no go huh? I’d share a Flowmonster exhaust clip vid but I’d be flamed to death based on car brand. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2022 | 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Thanks man. Exhaust for Dummies.. When I’m shopping mufflers what should I be looking for? An offset 2.5” single in and dual 2.5” out? Can the inlet be used as an outlet and vise versa? I was wanting to go with the ole trusty Flowmonster’s but it looks like they only make them in a center single in and dual out so that’s probably a no go huh? I’d share a Flowmonster exhaust clip vid but I’d be flamed to death based on car brand. Thanks again.
The factory intermediate pipe is actually 2.75", but you won't find many suitable mufflers with this inlet size so the typical solution is to use a 3" inlet and reduce it down (or stretch the I-pipe) to fit. The factory tail pipes are actually 2.25" on a base V8 (Z28/Formula/TA) so here you'll need to reduce the muffler outlets/expand the tail pipes as well (as most aftermarket mufflers that fit your needs will use a 2.5" outlet at the smallest). Again, a good exhaust shop can take care of this, or even just replace the tail pipes with larger diameter pieces and then reduce them down to fit the original square tips (if retaining them is the goal).

Some mufflers are reversible, many are not, but you'll need one that is formatted for a crossflow application (single offset inlet, dual outlet as you mentioned) if you want to retain the factory look. The Flowmaster 80-series is designed for exactly this purpose, but you'll find that most folks are not a fan of that muffler due to poor flow test performance as compared to other (non-chambered) aftermarket mufflers. There are several other crossflow style mufflers that will fit this application, depending on your taste in sound and material composition.

FWIW, I'm still a fan of Flowmaster, but I only use their single in, single out mufflers (such as on my Nova). I haven't had one of their crossflow 80-series units in many years, but I have used them in the past and was very pleased with the sound.
Y2K_Frenzy (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022 | 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

The factory intermediate pipe is actually 2.75", but you won't find many suitable mufflers with this inlet size so the typical solution is to use a 3" inlet and reduce it down (or stretch the I-pipe) to fit. The factory tail pipes are actually 2.25" on a base V8 (Z28/Formula/TA) so here you'll need to reduce the muffler outlets/expand the tail pipes as well (as most aftermarket mufflers that fit your needs will use a 2.5" outlet at the smallest). Again, a good exhaust shop can take care of this, or even just replace the tail pipes with larger diameter pieces and then reduce them down to fit the original square tips (if retaining them is the goal).

Some mufflers are reversible, many are not, but you'll need one that is formatted for a crossflow application (single offset inlet, dual outlet as you mentioned) if you want to retain the factory look. The Flowmaster 80-series is designed for exactly this purpose, but you'll find that most folks are not a fan of that muffler due to poor flow test performance as compared to other (non-chambered) aftermarket mufflers. There are several other crossflow style mufflers that will fit this application, depending on your taste in sound and material composition.

FWIW, I'm still a fan of Flowmaster, but I only use their single in, single out mufflers (such as on my Nova). I haven't had one of their crossflow 80-series units in many years, but I have used them in the past and was very pleased with the sound.
Cross-flow muffler. Got ya. Thanks man.
Old 01-27-2022 | 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pickin’s sure are slim in the transverse muffler market. It looks like there are only about 3-4 to choose from.
Old 01-27-2022 | 07:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Years ago there were more options, but the market has in fact dwindled for this style. Also, some are only available as part of a complete catback (vs. muffler only). You might be able to find something used that you like, perhaps a full catback, and then just have an exhaust shop add your factory tips (then you'd get the extra advantage of a 3" I-pipe, possibly 3" tail pipes, and mandrel bends throughout).
Old 01-27-2022 | 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Years ago there were more options, but the market has in fact dwindled for this style. Also, some are only available as part of a complete catback (vs. muffler only). You might be able to find something used that you like, perhaps a full catback, and then just have an exhaust shop add your factory tips (then you'd get the extra advantage of a 3" I-pipe, possibly 3" tail pipes, and mandrel bends throughout).
When the time comes I think I’m going to go with a Jones two chamber. It’s supposed to be comparable to the dreaded 80 series. I’m a chambered muffler kinda of guy. I just hope I’m not kicking myself later when/if the cabin noise gets old. It’s not a DD & prob not to many long trips so it’s not life or death really. Shopping mufflers is always tough because one guy says it’s too quiet and another says it’s too loud, and videos on the phone never do it justice.
Old 01-27-2022 | 10:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

When the time comes I think I’m going to go with a Jones two chamber. It’s supposed to be comparable to the dreaded 80 series. I’m a chambered muffler kinda of guy. I just hope I’m not kicking myself later when/if the cabin noise gets old. It’s not a DD & prob not to many long trips so it’s not life or death really. Shopping mufflers is always tough because one guy says it’s too quiet and another says it’s too loud, and videos on the phone never do it justice.
I agree on loving the chambered muffler sound; it might not be the absolute best for flow but the sound is fantastic IMO. When I had the 80-series on my '02 Z28 the car was otherwise stock (meaning stock engine, stock manifolds and cats). It was by no means "too loud". I daily drove the car that way, and it was a perfect pitch and volume; never annoying, never interfered with conversation or caused any rattles/vibrations, etc. Now, if you plan to do headers and especially if you want to delete the cats, at that point it will get MUCH louder.
Y2K_Frenzy (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022 | 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree on loving the chambered muffler sound; it might not be the absolute best for flow but the sound is fantastic IMO. When I had the 80-series on my '02 Z28 the car was otherwise stock (meaning stock engine, stock manifolds and cats). It was by no means "too loud". I daily drove the car that way, and it was a perfect pitch and volume; never annoying, never interfered with conversation or caused any rattles/vibrations, etc. Now, if you plan to do headers and especially if you want to delete the cats, at that point it will get MUCH louder.
I wonder why GM went with the Y Pipe instead of an H and two mufflers? Packaging constraints? No room to do so?
Old 01-28-2022 | 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I wonder why GM went with the Y Pipe instead of an H and two mufflers? Packaging constraints? No room to do so?
Packaging was likely a concern based on the undercarriage design but, as many folks have proven, true dual systems can be fitted with a little work and careful arrangement - so GM could have done the same. With that said, a well built Y-pipe arrangement doesn't really leave much (if anything) on the table in terms of flow as compared to true dual, the primary difference is the sound (especially in that the true dual arrangement doesn't produce the "kazoo on crack" raspy sound that is typical of a catless Y-pipe).
Y2K_Frenzy (01-28-2022)
Old 02-06-2022 | 06:51 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

I didn't see what kind of car you have, but a single outlet looks fine on a Camaro or Formula.

Both my Formulas have single outlet Hooker Maxflows. The M6 car has the 3" in/out 14" case and sounds great with stock manifolds and cats.

This setup would work great on your car, unless it's a T/A and you need a dual outlet muffler.
Old 02-06-2022 | 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I didn't see what kind of car you have, but a single outlet looks fine on a Camaro or Formula.

Both my Formulas have single outlet Hooker Maxflows. The M6 car has the 3" in/out 14" case and sounds great with stock manifolds and cats.

This setup would work great on your car, unless it's a T/A and you need a dual outlet muffler.
I have a Z28 and I’d like to keep the faux dual square tips. No offense but a single tip would be a little too V6 Esq and not as visually appealing to me.
Old 02-06-2022 | 07:26 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

Appreciate the affection for dual tips. But you're right - a single outlet turndown looks somewhat V6ish, but at 3" has a bit of a flexed bicep to it. That's the beauty of the Formula/base Z28 sleeper look. In fact, I thought for a while about getting a personalized plate for my A4 Formula: JUSTA V6.
Y2K_Frenzy (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022 | 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Appreciate the affection for dual tips. But you're right - a single outlet turndown looks somewhat V6ish, but at 3" has a bit of a flexed bicep to it. That's the beauty of the Formula/base Z28 sleeper look. In fact, I thought for a while about getting a personalized plate for my A4 Formula: JUSTA V6.
Mine’s all stock, so sleeper or not I’m not gonna get the jump on much. Not anything new anyway. Unless maybe it’s a new Camry..
Old 02-25-2022 | 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

I went with a DYNOMAX super turbo muffler, it fit right in flawlessly. It is not excessively loud, and it keeps the police away.
Y2K_Frenzy (02-26-2022)

Quick Reply: ‘98-‘02 Muffler only replacement