New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bastard dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few words to the wise (I 've worked for 2 Chevy dealerships a total of 6 years so this is from experience)

Find ONE salesman that you are comfortable with and stick with him for ALL your purchases -- even if the car you want isn't at his dealership they can almost always get it for you. Salesmen respect someone who is a repeat customer.

Referrals are a saleman's best friend -- if you trust your salesman send your friends/family/co-workers/etc to him and make sure they tell him you sent them.

Try to find a LARGE dealership in a LARGE city with many dealerships that carry the same car lines. If a particlular dealership is of the unreputable nature it wont last long with that kind of competition.

GM (and probably all manufacturers) ships out new vehicles based upon the dealerships past sales history. If you are looking for a corvette (or whatever) call around to all the dealerships in the area (within 100 miles would be good). The store with the most models will be the one that will be most likly to deal. EXAMPLE -- if JOES CHEVROLET only get 1 corvette alloted to them per year they will probably have a "sticker only" mandate from the General Manager or even from the Owner himself on that corvette -- trust me it happens.

DO NOT expect to get deals on special editions or new models (like SS's/WS6's/GTO's/SSR's/Z06's/etc). When the new Duramax Diesel came out employees at my dealership were not allowed to buy them on our discounted rates -- "sticker only". Once they had been out a few months and we had a few sitting on the lot then we could get our regular "deals" on them. (not that I cared -- who wants a nasty, noisy diesel anyway?)

And most importantly RESPECT IS KEY. Respect your salesman. If your salesman is disrespecful, BY ALL MEANS, deal with the sales manager or have the sales manager find a more repectful salesman for you. Disrespectful salesmen DO NOT last long at my dealership!!!

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by NO-OPTION-2002; 01-16-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
And most importantly RESPECT IS KEY. Respect your salesman. If your salesman is disrespecful, BY ALL MEANS, deal with the sales manager or have the sales manager find a more repectful salesman for you. Disrespectful salemen DO NOT last long at my dealership!!!

Hope this is helpful.
Well put.

BTW, you guys will never guess who I saw at a showing of Collateral last night... That's right, the bitch who stood me up and bought the Vue. She wouldn't even look at me- what a piece of ****. I wanted to put a few hollow points right in her kneecaps.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baddogz28
Well put.

BTW, you guys will never guess who I saw at a showing of Collateral last night... That's right, the bitch who stood me up and bought the Vue. She wouldn't even look at me- what a piece of ****. I wanted to put a few hollow points right in her kneecaps.

stood you up for a VUE, OMG how sorry is that. well, in the end she got what she deserved, a saturn! anytime you see that lady or guy, stare at her with the "evil eye". that could make her so uncomfortable that she has nightmares at night!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

I sold somebody with a 797 emperica on saturday, big man. BTW, you didn't before, but now you DO sound like an *******. "Thanks for Playing" I guess...

I'm so impressed... Whats yours 620, I wasn't bragging a lot of people have high scores My point ******** was with a good score the salesman gives more respect... And the salesman that was 4 cubes off needs to know his cars, my son used to study all the details customers like it when you ask a question and the salesman has a little knowledge... I know all salesman arn't bad most try to take advantage because its how they make a living. Thats why my son went in finance the pay scale was changed for the salesman a most lots around houston the scale no longer includes any of the backend it used to. with the economy the way it is on a $40,000.00 truck he might only make $100.00 to $200.00 dollars. so I know where your comming from as a salesman. So most of us nonsalesmen have had more than a few bad experiances with a salesman.. The reason I say they think I'm an ******* is if a salseman says he can't deal I will tie him up for hours. I spent 9 hours when I bought my 2000 silvarado exCab lT, Just because he didn't want to be fair, If he would have dealed he would have made more money and not lost time for other sales... Stepping of the Box...
Old 08-14-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Well I payed alot for my Firehawk. But it's near perfect inside and out, low miles and hasn't given me any problems so far.

My purchase experience has been pretty good.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:11 AM
TECH Addict

Just random thoughts. I don't think anyone has a problem with a salesman making a profit, but it's more about how he goes about making that profit. As fucked up as some customers may be, the dealership still has to run an honest business. It's the lies, deceitfulness, and outright thievery that pisses-off most people. Even so-called "honest" dealerships have their little tricks and techniques for making customers feel that they got a good deal when in actuality they're paying too much. The industry should determine what a fair profit is, set the price in stone, and be done with it. Why should customer "A" pay the dealership a $2000.00 profit, and customer "B" a $1000.00 profit?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by badride42
I'm so impressed... Whats yours 620, I wasn't bragging a lot of people have high scores My point ********...
It's intelligent posts like that that make me wonder why i responded to your first one.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
The industry should determine what a fair profit is, set the price in stone, and be done with it. Why should customer "A" pay the dealership a $2000.00 profit, and customer "B" a $1000.00 profit?
That would be fine with me- until then a more informed and better negotiator get's the best deal.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs down

That would be fine with me- until then a more informed and better negotiator get's the best deal.
Right, business as usual, we know that's not going to happen when there are so many people that aren't trained to negotiate--let's face it, the vast majority. Let the rare good negotiator get his good deal, and **** over the rest. That's just great. Heck of way to make a living.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Right, business as usual, we know that's not going to happen when there are so many people that aren't trained to negotiate--let's face it, the vast majority. Let the rare good negotiator get his good deal, and **** over the rest. That's just great. Heck of way to make a living.
Why don't you worry about yourself? I'm the one that has to take home the $200 checks that I get if I don't make any money on the deal, not you. BTW, somebody that is educated AND a good negotiator is best positioned to get a good deal- sounds logical, right?

And as far as trained negotiators go, you are probably pretty weak because you can't even come up with a sound rebuttal on an anonomous message board. I would love to deal with you in person if this is all you've got.

Ignorance is a heck of a way to go through life. More people get very good deals than don't. Making big money on a deal is rare.

Let the buyer beware. Get educated and then come talk to me.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR
The industry should determine what a fair profit is, set the price in stone, and be done with it. Why should customer "A" pay the dealership a $2000.00 profit, and customer "B" a $1000.00 profit?
AFTER RE-READING YOUR PREV. POST:

Wasn't I agreeing with you? Sheesh. Pull your head out of your *** for me please.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers baddog, but I didn't mean you specifically, just car salesmen in general; they are a pet peeve of mine, we all have one or two pet peeves. And you did say you agreed that there should be a fair set price. I wasn't sure if you really meant it, or just that you knew it would never happen, so you were being sarcastic. My mistake for misreading your meaning.

As far as negotiating, it's pretty rare, if not impossible, to out-negotiate a car salesmen who negotiates for a living, and gets training in the art as well; and if the car saleman IS getting out-dealt by a consumer, he's just not a very good salesman. That's one of the reasons that a set price will never happen: the industry knows that the general public, trying to negotiate with a professional negotiator, is like an amateur club golfer challenging a PGA Tour professional. The truth is that very few people do get fair deals, no matter how skilled a negotiator they are. Like Las Vegas, the odds are stacked against them.

Just like everyone else, I've had some bad deals, and I've made what I thought were good deals (although you can never be 100% sure). Heck, I've made a good deal, took the car home on a Friday, returned on a Monday only to be informed that my loan wasn't approved afterall (after having already been approved). Then I was told that most of my $4000. down payment was being applied to depreciation. Even a good negotiation doesn't guarantee a good deal. That would make anyone jaded and bitter.

Nah, I wouldn't want to negotiate with you--I'd lose.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Damn that really sucks to hear all this bad rap about dealerships. I am a sales consultant for Jeff D'ambrosio in PA. I have only been here about 2 months but I can tell you that our team is square and honest with every person we deal with. We are the third largest dealer in the east costs and we are because we treat every customer with repsect and we don't screw them. Personaly, I love my job, I used to be a tech for ford but that **** just wasnt for me. I am pretty happy doing this. lol right now I am working, its boring, no customers but its raining. Oh well. Just wanted to say that not every dealership is bad. If you guys ever need a car, let me know
Old 08-14-2004, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers baddog, but I didn't mean you specifically, just car salesmen in general; they are a pet peeve of mine, we all have one or two pet peeves. And you did say you agreed that there should be a fair set price. I wasn't sure if you really meant it, or just that you knew it would never happen, so you were being sarcastic. My mistake for misreading your meaning.

As far as negotiating, it's pretty rare, if not impossible, to out-negotiate a car salesmen who negotiates for a living, and gets training in the art as well; and if the car saleman IS getting out-dealt by a consumer, he's just not a very good salesman. That's one of the reasons that a set price will never happen: the industry knows that the general public, trying to negotiate with a professional negotiator, is like an amateur club golfer challenging a PGA Tour professional. The truth is that very few people do get fair deals, no matter how skilled a negotiator they are. Like Las Vegas, the odds are stacked against them.

Just like everyone else, I've had some bad deals, and I've made what I thought were good deals (although you can never be 100% sure). Heck, I've made a good deal, took the car home on a Friday, returned on a Monday only to be informed that my loan wasn't approved afterall (after having already been approved). Then I was told that most of my $4000. down payment was being applied to depreciation. Even a good negotiation doesn't guarantee a good deal. That would make anyone jaded and bitter.

Nah, I wouldn't want to negotiate with you--I'd lose.
Thanks for understanding, I just took offense to your last post, as far as your first post goes, it would make my job easier if the prices were set in stone, that's why I agreed- there was no sarcasm present. Sorry you misunderstood it, and for my harsh follow up post.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ramair
Damn that really sucks to hear all this bad rap about dealerships. I am a sales consultant for Jeff D'ambrosio in PA. I have only been here about 2 months but I can tell you that our team is square and honest with every person we deal with. We are the third largest dealer in the east costs and we are because we treat every customer with repsect and we don't screw them. Personaly, I love my job, I used to be a tech for ford but that **** just wasnt for me. I am pretty happy doing this. lol right now I am working, its boring, no customers but its raining. Oh well. Just wanted to say that not every dealership is bad. If you guys ever need a car, let me know
Keep up the good work, man!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for understanding, I just took offense to your last post, as far as your first post goes, it would make my job easier if the prices were set in stone, that's why I agreed- there was no sarcasm present. Sorry you misunderstood it, and for my harsh follow up post.
No hard feelings, man. If I was you reading my post, I would have been ticked-off too.

You must take pride in your job.

I know it's not all bad.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

I went to a lot and looked at a VERY ragged out 95 Z28 m6 convertible.the car was in bad shape but the price was right at the time (5500.00) in 2000. told the guy i wanted to at least take it for a spin before i made a decision. "This car isn't leaving the lot until you give me a 500 deposit". was the reply.WHAT????? I left and found the car i have now w/43k , immaculate condition and 5g price. a few days later i went back to the first lot , showed the assclown my purchase and told "They were nice to me , they let me drive the car ,next time ,try to treat your customers with a hint of respect. If you hadn't been such a total *****, I would have bought your car." The guy was speechless. 6months later , the lot was bare and empty , out of business. Gee , I wonder why?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ignorance is a heck of a way to go through life. More people get very good deals than don't. Making big money on a deal is rare.
I could not agree more BDZ28.

Here's the problem I have. Carsales-persons get the worst rap IMO. How about everytime you go to the clothing store? Do you negotiate with the salesperson at JCPenney? Or Marshall Fields? I can guarantee that it does not cost Nike $150 to make a pair of $180 tennis shoes. More like $15~$20 if I had to guess. Or Ralph Lauren $80 for a golf shirt...REALLY??? And OMG don't get me started on electronics these guys make a killing on us (again IMO)!
My point....everybody needs to make a profit to stay in business. If you treat people right and fair you'll be around to greet the refferals that are sent to you, by them!
Old 08-15-2004, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

It's intelligent posts like that that make me wonder why i responded to your first one.
There is no reply to it, Just learn to read the whole statement and get trhe point. thats all you need to do. The statements you make shows that what is said about most car salesmen are true. know it all smartasses. I made a simple point about what I meant because you couldn't figure it out. I don't know why I responded to you all your post to me and from the first time you posted on this thread have been smartass bullshit..(oh I forgot your a carsalesman.. ) I'm through with this thread I will not read it again..Good night.... Lets concentrate on the good things in life Cars and American Freedom
Old 08-15-2004, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by badride42
Lets concentrate on the good things in life Cars and American Freedom
Fine with me.