Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apathy
Let me preface what I say with: I could care less what you think.
I'll say this, you really live up to your screen name...

BTW, I caught the part about the Talon owner putting his car up for sale. But quite honestly, this thread got really bloated and I didn't see if the two cars ever got a chance to race, did that happen?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:52 PM
B T
Launching!

Or, just yank the plugs off one side of the engine. If you get 340hp, then I'll say you are right. Displacement is a very important part of the power.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ignition is good also, after that we must start talking math ( parasitic losses and such ) .
Let's pull two of your plugs (mathmatically speaking) and then you will really whine.

omg

BT
Old 08-24-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

B T is a smiley freak.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apathy
I'm a member of several boards, and I speak my mind on all of them. Welcome to the internet. If I'm on my celica board and some moron says he smoked an LS1 in a 91 Celica ST, I'll say "wow you are a ******* idiot." Do you think that I should just sit back and watch?

actually i would expect you to sit back and watch. its a respectful thing to do. those guys are on there talking about there cars and they dont want to hear someone drumming up LS1s on their board. just like MOST of us dont here. im a member of a few dodge boards, and they say a few things about vettes/camaros ect. that are laughable. i made the mistake of confronting on one of the posts and i appoligized. all it does is start flame wars, much like it did here. this is one of the more respectful ones though. way to keep it clean guys. to sum it up, when someone says something thats laughable on another board, thats what i do, laugh. its the mature thing to do. whats the point of defending it to a bunch of people who arent going to hear what you are saying? or care for that matter.

just my .02, even though i know you dont care.

maturity and respect make the world go 'round.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, what a thread. Okay, the way I see it, again....
Comparing a four banger with a V8, all else being equal, you are comparing two cars that do the same thing or have the same goal but approach it in two different manners. Comapring a street car to a race car is comparing two different kinds of cars, made for different purposes. You CAN NOT say that comparing a four bagner to a V8 is the same as comparing a race car to a street car. It just does not work that way. You can say they are both handicaps if you must, but there is SOOOO much more to it than that.

If you do go by speed is speed is speed, as you are (or at least going with claiming we are), what do you say to the fact already brought up that all of the truly fast drag cars are basically V8's. Your John Shephard that broke into the 8's is piddling compared to the many many many V8's that run quicker/faster than that on a daily basis?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yay I finally managed to finish reading this whole thread. LOL
Old 08-25-2004, 01:10 AM
B T
Launching!

Your John Shephard that broke into the 8's is piddling compared to the many many many V8's that run quicker/faster than that on a daily basis?
>>>>>>>>>>

Done.

BT

thank god!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back to the talon thing....

My coworker has once again trumped himself, by showing what a dumbass he truly is.

During the course of the evening a dude owning a tricked out talon (you could hear the turbo spool from inside the stoor, when he revved the engine pulling in to a stall) came to pick up a printer he had ordered, even though that guy was actually real cool, and complemented me and my mustang buddy on our cars, my talon owning coworker decided to fall back into his previous talon-worshiping ways

I was incredibly dissappointed, I had almost converted a ricer to the light! ( by ricer I refer not to all import owners, but to import owners who have no power, yet talk ****) As we were starting to leave after we had closed, I and my Mustang buddy were checking out my JL 10w6 in a self-made stealth box that i had not yet showed him, and the talon dude decides to do a burn out.

Well guessing from the resulting minimal traction loss, I have derived that he had not sufficent torque. He revved the damn thing to the sky, dropped the clutch, and peeled a little, but grapped traction and somewhat launched foward. I guess he didnt have a FIRM grip on the wheel cause he car suddenly careened to the left and he ramped a curb real hard. He hit it so hard (this is a pretty tall curb) that he blew his right front tire and seriously fucked his front right bumper thingy.

After we finished hysterically laughing, my friend and I approached him, only to find him sitting with his head in his hands, he wasnt crying but merely reflecting on the past few moments, with that same "I cant believe this, did this actually just happen?" sort of look on his face.

We soon snapped him outta his reflective state, and assisted him in mounting his spare tire, so that he could get home.

Once we had finished this is the conversation that followed (excluding names)

ME: "well ________, I dont wanna sound condescending, but pride comes before the fall, dont feel tooo horrible, Ive had a similar experience with a ditch, and it taught me that I wasnt invincible and that my car had limits, and that it deserved respect. God I sound like my dad. Just stay cool next time, plus you gotta go to the open section of the parking lot to do that stuff, curbs are the arch enemy of any car. It coulda been worse. someday youll be able to laugh about this"

Him "I cant believe you guys stayed an extra 20 mins to help me mount my spare. Im certain Id have left if I were in your shoes"

ME: "no prob, when it comes to road side assistance, we're all in it together"

On that note we left, and I think that I made a lasting impression on a person who learned that Pride does in fact come before the fall.

I know it sounds like a disney ending, but walking away from that situation, I realized that that crash of his did more good for him, than me stomping him ever would have. Atleast some things end well
I feel so warm inside!!

(j/k on that last line)
Old 08-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Launching!

I've been reading this from the begining.
Just wanted to add something. DSM=
Well I had one 3 years ago. Never wanted to buy it but it was the firs car for sale and I needed something. '93 1.8 4 banger NO I AM NOT A RICER !!!
AC on during Las Vegas summer plus WOT = everybody honks at you (why don't you go you F. hmmm couse it CAN NOT
The paint was comin' off and I did managed to blow the engine.
"Quality"POS but it was economical at least.

Yeah than I did buy a '92 Camaro RS 305 TBI
2002 WS6 M6 cam LT's etc.. for now.
And I do shoot american guns too.
And I'm a damned immigrant too,seen and had german franch jap cars but
NONE OF THEM BEATS AN LS1

Tommy
Old 08-25-2004, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is the reason why I hate this board sometimes.

Saying "I can do 12.X time in my v8 easy, so that same time in a 4 cyl is unimpressive" is STUPID. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

That would be like me taking a 7000lb truck down the track in 10.2 and you going "who cares, there are plenty of v8 f-bodys in the 10s."

An f-body in the 12s is unimpressive. A riding lawnmower in the 12s is impressive. Speed is all relative.

FYI, there are DSMs running 9s and John Shepard has been down the track in the 8s. Are there F-bodies in the 9s? Sure. Are the majority in the 9s? No. Speed is impressive, no matter what it comes out of.

I'm on both an import and a domestic board, and you both talk about why you hate the other, and they are the EXACT SAME THING. You say "all imports are driven by ricer punks, and the majority of them are slow in a drag race." They say "all domestics are driven by rednecks, and they handle like bathtubs." Or "import/domestic breaks down a lot." Both statements make you look dumb.

Now, on to something that's actually mentally stimulating...the guy said FWD driveline loss is higher? I don't think so...do you have dyno charts to prove that? My Celica is rated at around 180hp, and dynos around 160hp, which is far from 20-25% driveline loss.

I will agree with you 100%.....

And I am glad someone else caught that crap about front-wheel-drive driveline loss... I have allready said once in this thread, "Most of the guys talking trash about the DSM's have NEVER owned or worked on one and
don't really know crap about what they are talking about"
Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 AM
B T
Launching!

I don't even pretend to think that my DSM is faster than a Camaro, but
I know for sure that it is much more dependable. The Non-Turbo DSM's are NOT 'JUNK' Slow sometimes, but definitely NOT junk...

>>>>>>>
He said "non" turbo...

BT
Old 08-25-2004, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by B T
I don't even pretend to think that my DSM is faster than a Camaro, but
I know for sure that it is much more dependable. The Non-Turbo DSM's are NOT 'JUNK' Slow sometimes, but definitely NOT junk...

>>>>>>>
He said "non" turbo...

BT
I had a JUNK one. Just read my post above.
Tommy
Old 08-25-2004, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Clipper
I just sold a 98 formula. Said formula had 260,000 on the clock. About 50,000 of those miles were added a quarter mile at a time, and it huffed about 400 lbs of n2o. The engine was original, and never let go. The only things that ever needed replacement on this car was the clutch, and I did manage to strategically scatter the rear end. So basically, to keep my "shisnit" running for those 260k miles, I had to shell out for: 3 clutches, 1 rear end, and a crapload of go juice. None of which would I have needed, if I drove it like you drove your 200k car.

I do not know what else to say to you but..

If you can get that kind of mileage AND have the FUN you had (go juice) then you are obviously BLESSED...

I PRAY that my LS-1 can take half of that beating you gave your Formula,
If it does then I will be one happy dude! (and I will have extra $ for MODS!)
Old 08-25-2004, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B T
but
I know for sure that it is much more dependable. :
Amazing... simply amazing. And to think I thought this guy had some brains.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
Amazing... simply amazing. And to think I thought this guy had some brains.

I had enough brains to buy a Camaro when I wanted a sportscar...
And when I just want to get there cheap, I got the NT Eclipse. It works for me...
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

OK to tie it all together, the story was great about the 'Lil Talon That Could', I would have pointed out to your co-worker that the obviously stronger Talon owner was acting in a manner that he himself should emulate. I also probably would not have had the restraint earlier to not "peer pressure" him into a race. I do not condone street racing, I was part of the scene in SoCal and saw the ills of the sport firsthand, and would have made sure to use the track; loser pays entrance fees for both. (alright enough of my Dad speach ) We have a gathering of such individuals here at a local parking lot on the main drag every Wednesday. There is a pool hall/bar here that allows all ages that same evening, so I take my daughter once in a while and we look at the cars and go shoot some stick. My daughter is new in my life and we have only been a family for a little less than a year and known one another for about two. (Stepchild for all those that can't follow ) She has taken quite a liking to the Camaro and the rumble of the V8, after watching this link http://muchosucko.com/link839.html she walks along side of the cars there and mimics the video. I can rest assured that she will probably never date any one of those guys that personify the RICER mentality, and thank God for that. These are the same type of people that put themselves and everyone on the road around them at risk, by the way they drive. I would hate for her to get injured because of recklessness, for HIS sake. It's a moot point though since she won't be dating until about 30 or so. This is not to say that a young or feeble minded individual is not capable of such actions just because they drive domestic or a V8. I am sure that when any young man pulls up to the house and sees my car they will want to hear it or know more about what's under the hood. The difference is a domestic driver I will sit down and let him know life will cease if anything goes awry, he will *** and ask if I can help with his. An import RICER will say OK, tell me all about his Spoon engine, 150 lb turbo (exageration), and 700 shot NAUS (yo!), then proceed to spend the rest of the night trying to show MY daughter how HIS car is just as good if not better than mine. AARRGGHH!!

Now over to APATHY, replacement for dispacement yada yada yada. I have respect for HONDA (egad! did he say respect AND Honda in the same breath?) How about the F1 and Indy (CART or IRL) cars? 1.xL and quick as all getout, anyone remember the F14 vs. F1 car video? But a completely dedicated engine building team and countless resources go into these cars, the engines are a cool million each! Most teams just actually LEASE the engines for the season because of the enormous cost. My car is not fast by any stretch of the imagination, not even dug into yet for mods. Yet here come the pack of idiots every day revving to 8K just to get my attention for a pseudo street race. I've owned a Sentra it was my beater since I also had my 94 V6 3.4L Camaro that was used for SCCA. This Camaro of mine was a prime example that power WASN'T everything, going through a track in Solo C does not require you to have the strongest engine. I had a moderate engine with a boatload of suspension work done to it and a little bit of extra power. I seem to remember this was pushing all of 220 hp, not huge, but throaty and confused often as a Z until I popped the hood. I did OK with the car and came in second pretty consistently. I also had a 76 TA with the 455 in it. Loud, brash, and worth every penny of the $800 I spent for the car. I did a few things, like the cam, ehaust and such. Biggest change was going from auto to manual transmission. Then there was the 1.?L Sentra 4 speed with no AC, 2 door with power nothing. Good car, got me where I needed to be. That's all, wasn't going to beat the 6 and stood no chance to the 455. I knew no matter what I did to it, it would never have the tone or power that I wanted, I bought it for what it was...transportation. A car is a car is a car. What you make of it is your own. But if you pour thousands of dollars into it and take it off the street you then are RACING. We here have a few cars that arrive on trailers. But for the most part we want to enhance what GM has given us and wring all the power out of it we can. However, we want to stay within the limits of emissions standards to an extent, and be able to enjoy the vehicles on a daily basis. We are ENTHUSIASTS, people that get up drive our LSx's to work at the plant, store, cubicle, etc. and then take it out on those magical nights at the track. Here we see how all the time, sweat, toil, and money for mods has improved our vehicles. So in closing, F1 cars FAST, top fuel FAST, C5-R FAST, Ford GT FAST, Porsche GTS FAST. Are these EVER going to be in a lot of our garages NO! Racing is one thing, being a street legal car enthusiast is another. There is no substitute for being SMART about the vehicle you drive and most importantly SAFE! That is all.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Comparing a four banger with a V8, all else being equal, you are comparing two cars that do the same thing or have the same goal but approach it in two different manners.
Comparing a street car with a race car, all else being equal, you are comparing two cars that do the same thing or have the same goal but approach it in two different manners.

The goal is to have a fast car. The question is, do you want to do it the hard way (streetable) or the easy way (trailer queen).

No matter how many different ways you put it, it is always going to be the same.

Originally Posted by luvmez28
whats the point of defending it to a bunch of people who arent going to hear what you are saying? or care for that matter.
That's why I said I was out. Because people aren't listening to me.

If you do go by speed is speed is speed, as you are (or at least going with claiming we are), what do you say to the fact already brought up that all of the truly fast drag cars are basically V8's. Your John Shephard that broke into the 8's is piddling compared to the many many many V8's that run quicker/faster than that on a daily basis?
I brought up John Shepard as an example of a 4 cylinder that can be made to go blisteringly fast.

There is no need to bring up drag cars, because I don't feel that speed is speed is speed in all cases. Yes, top fuel dragsters are stupidly fast, and yes they are all v8s. Do any of your cars run 4-5 second 1/4 miles? No. There are plenty of things (obviously) different between your car and a top fuel drag car, even though your engine has the same amount of cylinders.

There are streetable 4 cylinders that will outrun plenty of people on this board. And I don't think the handicap gives the 4 cylinder the right to say "well, I ran slower, but I was at a disadvantage." You lose, you lose.

If the 4 cylinder wants to beat the v8 easier, he can either drop some $$$ or buy a v8. And if the street car wants to beat the race car easier, he can either drop some $$$ or turn it into a race car.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to try to highlight how you contradicted yourself here, before I get another "you are putting words in people's mouth" comment:

Here we see the only thing that really matters is how fast your car is.

Okay, so speed is speed is speed.

Okay, so the cars deserve some respect, but not more as long as your ET's/traps are better. So speed is speed is speed.

Wait a second...your 12 second car gets more respect than a 10 second car?

Your opinion is cool with me. You can sit here and try to factually reason that respecting Streetability makes sense, but respecting a smaller engine does not, but you won't be able to. Both are handicaps.
Is your real name Karl Rove? (if you do not get the joke....I have work/class today, don't have time to explain)
Old 08-25-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Is your real name Karl Rove? (if you do not get the joke....I have work/class today, don't have time to explain)
Sometimes
Old 08-25-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

And, my original point was, I'll laugh at an 13, 12, or 11 second LS1 owner (or any other vehicle for that matter) who thinks they drive a fast car
Don't know what your trying to say here, but a 13, 12, or 11 second LS1 is fast. I've been at the track all of the time and I haven't seen more than 5 cars break out of 13.8........Out of probably 70 cars, the only to break into the low 13s and 12s was one 5.0 Mustang, and 4 LS1s........13, 12, or 11 seconds is sure fast to me, and if I ran those times, I would think I had a fast car

Quick Reply: The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol