New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004 | 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
im not questioning your right to be registered, thats completely left up to the mods. i was questioning your motives. so basically you are saying you are a "spy". i can respect that. on the occasion i go to corral.net to see what new mods/performance angles some of those guys come up with. the difference is i didnt register on there so i can argue with the guys when they put down my brand or others. i just sit back, watch, and learn. im just pointing out the fact that it kinda annoys me, and others, obviously, when someone is on here sticking up for the other brands. ive seen you be very condesending and rather insulting to members on this board. i just dont see the point of most of what you say.

I would like to understand this aswell!
Old 08-24-2004 | 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by apathy
You can be a 13, 12, or 11 second LS1 and talk **** all you want about "having a fast car."

I'll continue laughing at you.
Let's see, what did you say earlier? STUPID STUPID STUPID
And you will laugh at 11 second LS1's WHY? Last I checked, an eleven second daily driven street car was, uh, fast regardless of anything else. Period.
Not only that, but I still don't understand why you will "laugh at" 11-12 second LS1's but drool all over some non performance car that has been modded enough to run 13s

Why am I here? Because I have respect for the LS1, discussions.
Why dont you show some of this supposed "respect" then?
Old 08-24-2004 | 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

luvmez28 makes a damn good point!

Apathy: I would like to apologize, I get sick and tired of reading posts that do nothing else than critize someone else's opinion, yet in my anger i did exactly that. Just realize that this is an LS1 board, and if you have an opinion you can express it, just do it without "tellin somebody off". I know very well that my car isnt impressive at all compared to some of the highend imports, and definetly not anywhere near where some of the guys are on this board. The whole point of me starting this thread was to share a humorous story with my fellow LS1 owners, and see if they had had similar situations. I DO NOT THINK ALL IMPORTS ARE SLOW. Porsche's are imports, and they can wipe the road with me. So can many supped up hondas and dsm and eclipses etc.

If you want to start fights with others, please do it somewhere else. I like to watch this site to learn about my car, and read some interesting and funny stories.

You are more than welcome to watch and respond, I have no right to stop you, just value our opinions as much as yours even if ours are anti-ricer.
Thanks.

I appreciate everyone's support in this! If any of you are ever in Wichita KS send me a p.m. and ill show ya around!
Old 08-24-2004 | 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
And you will laugh at 11 second LS1's WHY? Last I checked, an eleven second daily driven street car was, uh, fast regardless of anything else. Period.
Who cares if it is daily driven or not?

You all are telling me SPEED IS SPEED AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

So as far as I can tell, you are either running 4 second 1/4 miles or you are not. Top fuel dragsters are the end all of comparisons, and anything else is just slow. If having a smaller engine isn't impressive, then why should a streetable car be impressive? It is just slower than a race car.

And, my original point was, I'll laugh at an 13, 12, or 11 second LS1 owner (or any other vehicle for that matter) who thinks they drive a fast car.

the difference is i didnt register on there so i can argue with the guys when they put down my brand or others. i just sit back, watch, and learn.
I'm a member of several boards, and I speak my mind on all of them. Welcome to the internet. If I'm on my celica board and some moron says he smoked an LS1 in a 91 Celica ST, I'll say "wow you are a ******* idiot." Do you think that I should just sit back and watch?

im just pointing out the fact that it kinda annoys me, and others, obviously, when someone is on here sticking up for the other brands. ive seen you be very condesending and rather insulting to members on this board.
Let me preface what I say with: I could care less what you think.

I have just as much right to be here as anybody else. LS1 ownership is not a prerequisite of this site in any way, shape, or form. And if sticking up for other brands of cars bothers you, how about people arguing about brands of parts for your car? Are you going to give this same bullshit speech to somebody who is recommending a different cam than you are? Or is that okay because they own a camaro?

I don't venture into the tech posts and start up flame wars. This is not a tech post. It is a story, and an opinion. If his, yours, or Bob's has the right to be up here, then I don't see why mine shouldn't. Unless you want to start emailing copies of your registration to the admin to verify that everyone on here owns an LS1.

I'm out on this thread.
Old 08-24-2004 | 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cant we all just get along
Old 08-24-2004 | 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frey51
Cant we all just get along
Let me guess: Quote from Jack Nicholson playing the President in "Mars Attacks."

Of course that darn Martian kills him right after he says it!
Old 08-24-2004 | 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
When you get about 200,000k on your Z-28, Let's talk about who has a 'JUNK' car... And then we can talk about how much money you had to whoop out of your pocket to keep your shisnit running for those 200k miles...
I just sold a 98 formula. Said formula had 260,000 on the clock. About 50,000 of those miles were added a quarter mile at a time, and it huffed about 400 lbs of n2o. The engine was original, and never let go. The only things that ever needed replacement on this car was the clutch, and I did manage to strategically scatter the rear end. So basically, to keep my "shisnit" running for those 260k miles, I had to shell out for: 3 clutches, 1 rear end, and a crapload of go juice. None of which would I have needed, if I drove it like you drove your 200k car.
Old 08-24-2004 | 06:42 PM
B T
Launching!

So as far as I can tell, you are either running 4 second 1/4 miles or you are not. Top fuel dragsters are the end all of comparisons, and anything else is just slow. If having a smaller engine isn't impressive, then why should a streetable car be impressive? It is just slower than a race car.
>>>>>>>>>
omg...

I'm out on this thread.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quick sand, everyone out!

I thought SMB's are OEM?

I would like to see how fast a four banger can go in the quarter using only 2 gears...

BT 2.3 60'
Old 08-24-2004 | 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

I'm out on this thread.
Just incase you jump back in this thread isnt it, I couldn't care less what you think.

BTW - I couldn't give a **** less about what you think either.
Old 08-24-2004 | 07:03 PM
Launching!

sooo about that Eagle Talon....
Old 08-24-2004 | 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennhl
Let me guess: Quote from Jack Nicholson playing the President in "Mars Attacks."

Of course that darn Martian kills him right after he says it!
Man, did you just watch that movie? I havnt seen that since it first came out. What crappy story line. Graphics were pretty cool though.

Fry
Old 08-24-2004 | 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

No he wasn't, you are just interpreting it as that. I respect a daily driven 12 second car more than I respect a 10 second track car. I am trying to get into the 11's emmisions legal, and lemme tell you, it would a HELLUVA lot easier for me to put LT's on and the bottle.

Again, only you are saying that. You do a great job putting words in people's mouths. Streetable is more impressive than small engines, as I stated above. There is no replacement for displacement is still true when it comes to top fuel dragsters, but for things that aren't those four bangers are just as good as V8's. Import owners have been trying to impress domestice owners by saying things like hp/ liter when what only really matters is how fast your car is. Most people like myself are not impressed by how small your engine is because that matters a lot less than how fast you are. It is of course cool to see a 1.8 liter engine put out almost as much power as 5.7. Does it deserve some respect? Yes. But does it deserve more respect than your ET and trap speed? No, especially if mine are better.

And, my original point was, I'll laugh at an 13, 12, or 11 second LS1 owner (or any other vehicle for that matter) who thinks they drive a fast car.
Oooo! I drive a slow car then . Too bad I don't. You are just a spoiled little brat who thinks that 10 second cars are the only fast ones because of the Fast and Furious. In the 60's, 11 second cars were incredible. Is a Ferrari 612 Scallegati not a fast car to you? Last time I checked that was a 12 second car. But that car can hit 200 mph, which I will bet is a lot faster than most of the 10 second cars can get.

Great way to make friends and stregnthen your argument. I aplaud you for shooting yourself in the foot right here since up till here you were doing a fair job in arguing.

I'm out on this thread.
Yea..right
Come back and defend yourself. Quit being a crybaby and stand up to your flames instead of running away because you are so much better than everyone else.

I forone, have always valued your opinon in the Street racing section, I think you have just as much right to be here as the Corvette owners, just please lose the additude dude.

-Todd

Last edited by Gloveperson; 08-24-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2004 | 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

So as far as I can tell, you are either running 4 second 1/4 miles or you are not. Top fuel dragsters are the end all of comparisons, and anything else is just slow.
That is just wrong. See, if you compare a daily driven street car to an expensive, track only, dedicated race car the street car is going to be slower. Duh. It's really sad that you can even say things like this. We are talking about primarily street cars here. I would call an 11 second dedicated race car slow too. However, and 11 second DD IS FAST! Most people on this board drive their cars on the street, and many many are like me...their LS1 is their only car/daily driver. Most people with cars like them and the ones you are talking bout (DSM's, etc etc) are NOT RACE CARS! FYI: YOU are the one that first brought up all out race cars calling on John Shephard

Gloveperson: I think you covered most of what he said pretty well.
Old 08-24-2004 | 08:23 PM
B T
Launching!

Most people with cars like them and the ones you are talking bout (DSM's, etc etc) are NOT RACE CARS! FYI: YOU are the one that first brought up all out race cars calling on John Shephard
>>>>>>>>

YIKES!

Damn, that's gotta hurt...

4 banger + FI DD with 2 gears + $$$$$ = ET/MPH?

btw, any takers on what the top end on that 4 banger might be?

Wait a sec, anyone have an exhaust manifold for a T-76 for my lawnmower.

I figure 20 or 30!!! psi ought to make it cut better...or maybe get it into the 11's

Stuff it till she blows!!!

BT
Old 08-24-2004 | 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Yea..right
Come back and defend yourself. Quit being a crybaby and stand up to your flames instead of running away because you are so much better than everyone else.
I have already PM'd the thread starter apologizing for hijacking his thread.

My post about race cars wasn't a flame, and that's not how I feel. I have a lot of respect for the LS1, and for a fast street car. That's my personal goal. I'm just pointing out what's being said.

You all are saying it doesn't matter if it's a 4 or 8 cylinder, even though it is harder to get a 4 cylinder car down the track fast than an 8 cylinder car (no replacement for displacement). It is more difficult to make power out of 4 cylinders than out of 8 cylinders.

However, it apparently does matter if it is a streetable car compared to a race car. Why? Because it is harder to get a streetable, daily driver down the track fast than a race only car. It is more difficult to make power out of a street car than a race car.

This is complete hypocrisy.

I'll apologize to those who are trying to have a respectful discussion, but I'm not going to sit here and try to reason with people who are making two faced arguments. You can think whatever you want. The 11 sec streetable DSM sucks, and the 12.5 sec LS1 rocks. Great.
Old 08-24-2004 | 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

I have already PM'd the thread starter apologizing for hijacking his thread.

My post about race cars wasn't a flame, and that's not how I feel. I have a lot of respect for the LS1, and for a fast street car. That's my personal goal. I'm just pointing out what's being said.

You all are saying it doesn't matter if it's a 4 or 8 cylinder, even though it is harder to get a 4 cylinder car down the track fast than an 8 cylinder car (no replacement for displacement). It is more difficult to make power out of 4 cylinders than out of 8 cylinders.

However, it apparently does matter if it is a streetable car compared to a race car. Why? Because it is harder to get a streetable, daily driver down the track fast than a race only car. It is more difficult to make power out of a street car than a race car.

I'll apologize to those who are trying to have a respectful discussion, but I'm not going to sit here and try to reason with people who are making two faced arguments. You can think whatever you want. The 11 sec streetable DSM sucks, and the 12.5 sec LS1 rocks. Great.

Oye. Back to the 4 vs 8 cylinders again? Okay, I don't hail 4 cylinder cars for going as fast as 8 cylinder cars because how many cylinders it has (all else being equal in terms of performance, reliability, etc) doesn't mean jack ****. All it affects is the exhaust note in that situation. You want to hail the 4 cylinder for doing the same thing as an 8 cylinder while laughing at the 8

You do realize that all along the base of this argument is that the 4 cylinder sucks at performance while the V8 is great at it, right??? I mean, who would honestly buy the four banger and work harder to get less? I can't think of any good reason.....

Also, comparing the number of cylinders is NOTHING like comparing race cars to street cars. I don't think I should have to explain that one.
Old 08-24-2004 | 08:45 PM
B T
Launching!

I want to see these boosted 4 bangers run a 13 sec 1/4 with 87 octane, in an (auto trans) and only two gears like I'm doing with my LS1 in a 3400 pound car and not grenade the engine.

BT
Old 08-24-2004 | 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was true in the 60's. It is no longer true today. Forced induction really helped turn that around (I am talking about street cars here)

That is only true when you do not look at it objectivly. It is a fact that is more difficult to make power out of a street car over a race car. The federal government made that so, not the laws of internal combustion. The way you brought it out would be hypocrisy, but in reality it still makes perfect sense. Slap a turbo on a four banger, crack out 17 PSI out of the factory and BAM you have 271 horespower out of the crank. Fords 4.6 liter SOHC V8 does not make as much power as that (I was using the Evo as an example). The LS1 is not incredible because of its 346 cubic inches out of the factory. The head design, the intake tall intake port design, the intake manifold design are what really made it such performer right out of the factory.

In today's society, engineers know a lot more about internal combusion than the engineers of the 50's, 60's and 70's. Back then, the best way to make power was make a huge engine. Now adays, we know better. There are more differences between a Honda 4 banger and an LS1 than the number of cylinders and cubic inches that make the 4 banger make a lot of power.

[/QUOTE]

No one said that 11 second streetable DSM's suck. Oh, peice of friendly advice. Apologizing at the begining of the sentance then insulting at the end of a sentace is not a good idea.

-Todd
Old 08-24-2004 | 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

That was true in the 60's. It is no longer true today. Forced induction really helped turn that around (I am talking about street cars here)
You are wrong. FI helps level the playing field when you compare a FI 4 cylinder against some N/A 8 cylinders. Strap FI on a v8 and the comparison is no longer valid. It is very hard for even a turbo'd 4 banger to keep up with a nitroused LS1. Ask Unit. He ran in the 11s on $800 with his LS1.

That is only true when you do not look at it objectivly. It is a fact that is more difficult to make power out of a street car over a race car.

Slap a turbo on a four banger, crack out 17 PSI out of the factory and BAM you have 271 horespower out of the crank. Fords 4.6 liter SOHC V8 does not make as much power as that (I was using the Evo as an example). The LS1 is not incredible because of its 346 cubic inches out of the factory. The head design, the intake tall intake port design, the intake manifold design are what really made it such performer right out of the factory.
It is a fact that it is more difficult to make the same amount of power come out of 4 cylinders than out of 8. There is way more stress involved on everything inside the engine, including the block itself. Imagine cramming 400hp inside 1 cylinder.

Compare that Evo to the '03 Cobra. Both have FI, one is 4 cylinder, one is 8. You will see the difference.

Take all that design on the LS1 and put it on a 4 cylinder. Or, just yank the plugs off one side of the engine. If you get 340hp, then I'll say you are right. Displacement is a very important part of the power. I'm not saying it is everything, but it is a very significant advantage.

There are more differences between a Honda 4 banger and an LS1 than the number of cylinders and cubic inches that make the 4 banger make a lot of power.
Sure. Forced Induction. There is no way you are going to get around having FI on a 4 cylinder to keep up with an LS1.

All I said was I give more respect to a 4 cylinder that's running X time than to an 8 cylinder that's running the same time. Because it's harder to reach X in a 4 cylinder than an 8 (not talking about old junker engines).

If you don't feel that way, that is okay. But if you are really going to say speed is speed, then what is the difference between a race car that's running 10.2 and being trailered and a street LS1 running 10.5 other than the street car is slower?

You say "It's cool that he can run it on the street and on the track that fast." Which I agree with. I say "It's cool that they can push the same power to weight ratio in an engine that is less than half the size." I don't really see the difference here.
Old 08-24-2004 | 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

I'm going to try to highlight how you contradicted yourself here, before I get another "you are putting words in people's mouth" comment:

Import owners have been trying to impress domestice owners by saying things like hp/ liter when what only really matters is how fast your car is.
Here we see the only thing that really matters is how fast your car is.

Most people like myself are not impressed by how small your engine is because that matters a lot less than how fast you are.
Okay, so speed is speed is speed.

It is of course cool to see a 1.8 liter engine put out almost as much power as 5.7. Does it deserve some respect? Yes. But does it deserve more respect than your ET and trap speed? No, especially if mine are better.
Okay, so the cars deserve some respect, but not more as long as your ET's/traps are better. So speed is speed is speed.

I respect a daily driven 12 second car more than I respect a 10 second track car.
Wait a second...your 12 second car gets more respect than a 10 second car?

Streetable is more impressive than small engines, as I stated above.
Your opinion is cool with me. You can sit here and try to factually reason that respecting Streetability makes sense, but respecting a smaller engine does not, but you won't be able to. Both are handicaps.

Quick Reply: The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol