Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Bristol? That's odd.

Since nobody likes the street/race car example, how about a motorcycle vs. an LS1?

I'd give more respect to an LS1 running an 11.0 than a motorcycle running the same time, for the same reason I'd respect a 4 banger running the same time as an 8. It's harder to get your LS1 to hit X time than it is a motorcycle.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Apathy,
People are put off by the import crowd that have 16 second cars and think they have a fast car. I beleive that most people on this board are totally impressed with a 4 cylinder car doing 11's! I know I am.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by glennhl
Apathy,
People are put off by the import crowd that have 16 second cars and think they have a fast car. I beleive that most people on this board are totally impressed with a 4 cylinder car doing 11's! I know I am.
I understand, and I'm not defending ricers. I'm not an import elitist...I drive a mullet mobile.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apathy
I understand, and I'm not defending ricers. I'm not an import elitist...I drive a mullet mobile.
apathy,

where did you get those synthetic muffler bearings, ie been looking everywhere for those!
Old 08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
apathy,

where did you get those synthetic muffler bearings, ie been looking everywhere for those!
Where else can you find the finest in automobile performance?

APC!

You can also upgrade the "hotness" of your car by nabbing some of these.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since nobody likes the street/race car example, how about a motorcycle vs. an LS1?

I'd give more respect to an LS1 running an 11.0 than a motorcycle running the same time, for the same reason I'd respect a 4 banger running the same time as an 8. It's harder to get your LS1 to hit X time than it is a motorcycle.
That is better except a motorcylce is fast not because of brillent engine engineering (that sounded horrible), but because of very low weight. If I put my Camaro on one hefty diet I would make is much faster. But it didn't take any real work.

I will concede that I respect a full interior, relaible, streetable 4-banger that runs 12's a lot more than a 12 second LS1. Those are generally rare (especially the reliable part for Hondas (get the hint hehe)

-Todd
Old 08-25-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where else can you find the finest in automobile performance?

APC!

You can also upgrade the "hotness" of your car by nabbing some of these.

if you ever post a link to those again i will ask the mods to kick you off!
those a friggin hideous. i met a guy with those and i seriously asked him WTF he was thinking. told me he was trying to achieve a "look". it worked, it "looked" like ****!

on fbodies with euro anything
Old 08-25-2004, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Comparing a street car with a race car, all else being equal, you are comparing two cars that do the same thing or have the same goal but approach it in two different manners.

The goal is to have a fast car. The question is, do you want to do it the hard way (streetable) or the easy way (trailer queen).
NO, you are NOT. A street car (even a moddel LS1) and a race car do NOT have the same goal. Not even close. And I/we are not talking about a race car that is "streetable", we are talking about actual street cars here. Your DD street car's primary (if not only) goal is to get you from point A to point B reliably, legally (or, uh, at least somewhat legally ), and with enough comfort/amenities/cargo/passenger room for your needs. Some cars are then given a second goal: to perform/look well. They may even be given that second goal at the track, but their primary goal and purpose in life is not to go fast.

Give it up. Comparing a four cylinder to an eight is NOT the same as comparing a street car to a race car.

Now, somebody brought up motorcycles. Of course it makes sense to have more 'respect' for an eleven second car than an eleven second bike. That is not a fair comparison either. They aren't even the same thing. If you are going to throw bikes in with the track car, race car, etc why not talk about planes? I mean ****, all cars are slow now. Oh, I know, let's switch over to speed rather than quickness and say that jet cars are fast and all other cars are slow pieces of ****. Point is, you have to compare apples to apples!

For those of you who havn't noticed, I like the smily.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
They may even be given that second goal at the track, but their primary goal and purpose in life is not to go fast.
If that were true, nobody would buy an LS1. You would all be daily driving around honda accords and toyota corollas. Because that meets your primary goal (most important) for a lot less than the Camaro does, would cost you less in gas, and they are more reliable (on average...not wanting to get into a "how reliable my camaro is" discussion) to boot. They can go down the track as well, meeting your secondary goal.

Now, you did buy an LS1. Why? Because you might use the car to drive it every day, but the goal is to have a fast car. You did not buy a 96 Mustang GT. That would meet your daily driver requirement, and would get you down the track at a moderate pace (if you can call it that), and would be cheaper. The difference? It's slower.

You bought the Camaro to go fast. You can tell me otherwise all day long, but it's true. You might want a car that you can drive to the track and keep street legal, while other people might want a car that they just take to the track and run the **** out of in a street illegal trim.

Give it up. Comparing a four cylinder to an eight is NOT the same as comparing a street car to a race car.
You are right. I do give up.

Now, somebody brought up motorcycles. Of course it makes sense to have more 'respect' for an eleven second car than an eleven second bike. That is not a fair comparison either. They aren't even the same thing.
It seems to be quite easy for you to argue, because you just talk about how every example other than the one you say is correct is invalid.

The car and the bike both have wheels and an engine, and you can drive it down the track. What's the difference? Weight and power. There are all kinds of cars with different weights and power. The bike is designed to go fast, your camaro is designed to go fast.

You said this in a previous post:

Comparing a four banger with a V8, all else being equal, you are comparing two cars that do the same thing or have the same goal but approach it in two different manners.
What do we have with a bike and your Camaro? We have two vehicles that do the same thing, or have the same goal, but approach it in two different manners. The goal is to be fast. The bike attempts to do it with less weight. The Camaro attempts to do it with more power.

Point is, you have to compare apples to apples!
If you are comparing apples to apples, why would you compare a 4 cylinder car to an 8 cylinder car and say they are equal? Or a manual to an automatic. Or a 4 door to a 2 door. Or a convertible to a hard top? Or...

My point is, you are saying compare apples to apples, but apparently you get to tell me what qualifies as an apple.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Now, you did buy an LS1. Why? Because you might use the car to drive it every day, but the goal is to have a fast car. You did not buy a 96 Mustang GT. That would meet your daily driver requirement, and would get you down the track at a moderate pace (if you can call it that), and would be cheaper. The difference? It's slower.
<------Not only is it slower, but older, uglyer, & a ford.
I wanted a Nice car with the whole package, looks, reliabilty, comfort, speed, while getting decent gas mileage.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

If that were true, nobody would buy an LS1. You would all be daily driving around honda accords and toyota corollas.
No, look at everything I said. My LS1's primary goal is still daily transportation, but I chose a car that is reliable daily transportation and does an admirable job at it's SECOND goal by going fast.

Because that meets your primary goal (most important) for a lot less than the Camaro does, would cost you less in gas.....
Exactly.
Yes it does, but so long as they both meet the primary goal, why not spend more money in order to make strides towards achieving the secondary goal? If the Camaro did not achieve the first goal you would have a point, but since it does, you do not. I never said costing less in purchase price, gas, and insurance was a goal now did I? And yes, a Civic can make it down the track but that does not satisfy the second goal at all

[QUOTE=apathy]Now, you did buy an LS1. Why? Because you might use the car to drive it every day, but the goal is to have a fast car. You did not buy a 96 Mustang GT. That would meet your daily driver requirement, and would get you down the track at a moderate pace (if you can call it that), and would be cheaper. The difference? It's slower.[QUOTE/]

Again, the Mustang does not meet the primary goal better than the Camaro, once both cars adequately meet one goal you then choose based on how well each one meets the next goal, and so forth.

You bought the Camaro to go fast. You can tell me otherwise all day long, but it's true.
I never said I didn't buy it to go fast. However, that is it's SECONDARY function. It must be transportation first and foremost. Can't very well make it to campus/work/etc etc etc w/o a car now can I?

It seems to be quite easy for you to argue, because you just talk about how every example other than the one you say is correct is invalid.
I think I have said aplenty on how my examples ARE correct.

You said this in a previous post:

What do we have with a bike and your Camaro? We have two vehicles that do the same thing, or have the same goal, but approach it in two different manners. The goal is to be fast. The bike attempts to do it with less weight. The Camaro attempts to do it with more power.
Only to a slight extent. The Camaro is by no means trying to be as fast as a bike by having more power. It just needs more power to be fast because it is heavier, which is because of it's primary goals. One of which would be to be driven in the rain w/o getting the (single, no luggage) rider soaking wet or driven in the snow w/o giving the driver/rider hypothermia.

If you are comparing apples to apples, why would you compare a 4 cylinder car to an 8 cylinder car and say they are equal? Or a manual to an automatic. Or a 4 door to a 2 door. Or a convertible to a hard top? Or...
If you take it that literally, pretty soon you won't be able to compare anything to anything except an exact duplicate or completely direct competition. It's that darn slippery slope logic. I am comparing vehicles made for/used in the same niche for the same basic reasons. They are the same type of car in terms of overall use. Bikes, race cars, street cars, etc are all VERY different types of vehicles. A four cylinder DSM and an LS1 F-body (both being street cars, as almost all are) are still the same type of vehicle in the same category.

My point is, you are saying compare apples to apples, but apparently you get to tell me what qualifies as an apple.

Edit: I somewhere managed to mess up and not find the mistake I made in quoting. THis thread is a little bit complicated!

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 08-25-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:44 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
<------Not only is it slower, but older, uglyer, & a ford.
I wanted a Nice car with the whole package, looks, reliabilty, comfort, speed, while getting decent gas mileage.

decent gas mileage.
>>>>
I don't think Honda or Toyota are the only "econo cars with cargo" area LOL (bikes are good for getting milk, maybe)built

The car and the bike both have wheels and an engine, and you can drive it down the track. What's the difference? Weight and power. There are all kinds of cars with different weights and power. The bike is designed to go fast, your camaro is designed to go fast.
>>>>>>>>>>>
Tell your mother you would like an extra helping of "dumb" tonight...

I like smiley's too!

Did I mention "quick sand" a few posts back???

BT
Old 08-25-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by B T
decent gas mileage.
>>>>
BT
My last car got 10mpg & i had to use preimum . So me getting over 20mpg is actualy very good to me compared to what im used to .
Old 08-25-2004, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Default Apathy, sorry... Brian Earl Spilner- you are a stroke and here is why

I bought a V8 because it will get me where I want for my budget. But if I go down the track in 10.5, and there is some guy hanging next to me with an engine that is less than half my size, I'll say he should get more respect than my car. If you don't think so, that's fine. It's just my opinion.
I think I speak for many involved in this thread in volunteering that we don't give a **** who, what, or why you respect anything.

So you know, this is what YOU sound like with all this respect talk:

"If I win, I take the money and the respect."

"Respect?"

"To some people that is more important."

Please, do us all a favor, and go buy a motherfucking 4 banger, and troll their forums searching for threads on "respect."

*NOTE* Shepard has a nice, fast car that is probably a riot to drive. But you are still gay.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
No, look at everything I said. My LS1's primary goal is still daily transportation, but I chose a car that is reliable daily transportation and does an admirable job at it's SECOND goal by going fast.
No, you chose a car that you wanted. My mustang is very reliable, and is faster than a stock LS1. I paid less for it than an LS1. By your primary/secondary reasoning, you should be driving my car.

I never said costing less in purchase price, gas, and insurance was a goal now did I?
I assumed you were like most every other person on the planet, and saving money was important.

I never said I didn't buy it to go fast. However, that is it's SECONDARY function. It must be transportation first and foremost. Can't very well make it to campus/work/etc etc etc w/o a car now can I?
Umm...what does it matter what your primary and secondary functions are for your car? Do you think those apply to everybody? Even everybody with a streetable car?

Pretty much everybody that is serious into modding their car will need another car at some point. Whether it is because parts break, or because it has to have work done to it that will take an extensive amount of time, something always goes wrong.

If you aren't serious into modding, then that's fine. Ask how many people on this board have done heavy mods on their car with absolutely no problems whatsoever. You will find that it is very few, street car or race car.

My original point was a car that is a track only car has an advantage over a street car. It doesn't have to be reliable, and it can be run faster (illegally) than a street car. This is why it should be impressive when a street car runs with a trailer queen. And that is why it is impressive to me when a car runs with a bike. Or a 4 cylinder runs with an 8. Or a Z28 outruns a Z06 or an SRT-10 Viper. Because you are overcoming a disadvantage.

Only to a slight extent. The Camaro is by no means trying to be as fast as a bike by having more power. It just needs more power to be fast because it is heavier, which is because of it's primary goals.
Every fast car and fast bike out there is trying for the exact same thing when it is "trying to be fast": a great power to weight ratio. That's what makes you fast. Car, bike, plane, or platypus.

If you take it that literally, pretty soon you won't be able to compare anything to anything except an exact duplicate or completely direct competition.
That was pretty much the point.

I am comparing vehicles made for/used in the same niche for the same basic reasons. They are the same type of car in terms of overall use.
Good. You can never compare an Evo to an LS1 then. Because they come from two different backgrounds in design. The Evo is rally inspired, and the LS1 is drag inspired.

Like I said, as long as you are defining the apple, you will always be "comparing apples to apples."

Bikes, race cars, street cars, etc are all VERY different types of vehicles. A four cylinder DSM and an LS1 F-body (both being street cars, as almost all are) are still the same type of vehicle in the same category.
How about a truck? Or an SUV? Can I compare a Syclone to an LS1?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baddogz28
I think I speak for many involved in this thread in volunteering that we don't give a **** who, what, or why you respect anything.
Please, do us all a favor, and go buy a motherfucking 4 banger, and troll their forums searching for threads on "respect."
If you don't care, why are you posting?

Yeah, you totally owned me with the Fast and Furious picture. I'm just like that in real life. A ricer with a fox body Mustang. And I already own a 4 banger, thanks.

Do me a favor. Alt + F4.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

At Bristol? That's odd.
It is odd........mostly ricers but every Mustang but one were running 14.3-15.5......maybe the altitude or shitty drivers, not sure. But its crazy
Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, you totally owned me with the Fast and Furious picture.
Yeah he did.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

At least you didn't dispute the fact that you are gay or that you sound like a "FNF"-watching douchebag soCal 16 year old with frosty blonde hair and a CRX w/ a fart pipe (no offense soCal LS1tech contingent- you probably aren't "that" guy.)

Respect my civic, bitch.
Let's race for pinks.
You'll get owned when I hit the NAWWS.
This has stand-alone fuel management, direct port NAWWS and a turbo timer from APC.
Yeah, these 195 30 ZR 17 scorcher TA's with the colors are dope, yo.
Check out the phat neons yo, I got 10 different color tubes dawg.
I got dis fatty erebuni wing kit outta JC whitney.

This is what you sound like to me. And yet you drive a mustang. What a horrible conundrum.

FOOTNOTE: I rarely flame on this board, but all of your "ricey" talk kinda struck a nerve with me. I apologize.

Last edited by baddogz28; 08-25-2004 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baddogz28
FOOTNOTE: I rarely flame on this board, but all of your "ricey" talk kinda struck a nerve with me. I apologize.

Quick Reply: The ALMIGHTY Eagle Talon!..... lol