New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG Decision: LS1 or LT1 ?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004 | 11:09 AM
Launching!

i agree with "darren" that the "LS1 is newer, faster and easier to work on", also that the LT1 "It's a great car for younger people on limited budgets or track gurus that want to build a 9 second beast".. i just vouch for the LT1 motor becuase of its fine points, not its RWHP.. agreed its not as fast as the LS1, but its a very good and strong motor.. granted its crammed engine compartment and "pain in the ***" ignition system.

ps. i personally think that we LT1 & LS1ers have completely "hijacked" the poor kids thread im sure he's been already searching for insurance on his LS1 he purchased since pg3
Old 09-12-2004 | 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
i agree with "darren" that the "LS1 is newer, faster and easier to work on", also that the LT1 "It's a great car for younger people on limited budgets or track gurus that want to build a 9 second beast".. i just vouch for the LT1 motor becuase of its fine points, not its RWHP.. agreed its not as fast as the LS1, but its a very good and strong motor.. granted its crammed engine compartment and "pain in the ***" ignition system.

ps. i personally think that we LT1 & LS1ers have completely "hijacked" the poor kids thread im sure he's been already searching for insurance on his LS1 he purchased since pg3
I have an LS1, and I have looked at buying a few LT1s since buying my LS1. Don't get me wrong, I would still keep the LS1. But the LT1 is an excellent engine. It has plenty of low-end grunt, which is what I like in an engine. On the other hand, I am having much more fun with the LS1 because of the new software out that lets you change the tune. It makes it possible to have fun tuning without even getting your hands dirty. Both are good choices.
Old 09-12-2004 | 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My little brother's LT1 is freaking sick, I love that car, it sounds great, runs great and looks great. Since he got full bolt-ons he's able to beat me by .015 now. He definitely has a LOT less invested than I do overall though.

LT1s sound like a real muscle car, that's one thing I love about them.

Long and short, if you can afford an LS1, do it, you won't regret it. You aren't exactly going to be slighting yourself with an LT1 either. People lose perspective, at least you're buying a Trans Am...not an Eclipse or something actually lame.

I'll be buying an LS2 when they get affordable, just because it's the next evolution.
Old 09-12-2004 | 04:39 PM
Launching!

last 2 posts..

Old 09-12-2004 | 05:21 PM
Launching!

My buddy has/well had a 96 vette LT1.When we were both bone stock autos,i absolutly killed that car on the track and also from 55 to 150mph.He couldn't go much faster,plus it's not safe to go 180 in hawaii,i would love to though,he ended up buying a c5..I like the c5 LS1 as it's Fly-by-wire and no cables..and no EGR tube sticking in the top of the intake.
The LS1 has more low end and top end power.The LT1 is a good motor,i love the LS1 though.And one thing about the LT1,i hate the opti-spark.

The LT4 is a great motor.
Old 09-12-2004 | 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I wish... Gotta save up that 5k. So buy Dec./Jan. I'll be in that position. I'm basically throwing away any free time of my senior year to work and save up, but I know it will be worth it...when I get to have that POWER for myself!
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slammed-am
I'm basically throwing away any free time of my senior year to work and save up, but I know it will be worth it...when I get to have that POWER for myself!
For real...I'm working 40hrs/wk during school to get some mod money. Gotta feed the addiction.
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
For real...I'm working 40hrs/wk during school to get some mod money. Gotta feed the addiction.
I raised 4000 dollars from the december of last year to april of this year as a senior in high school to buy the LS1 (the rest came from the insurence money I got from the LT1 )

-Todd
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

And just think of all the hours that should've been spent studying!
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
And just think of all the hours that should've been spent studying!
Studying??! As a senior in high schoool...I think we all know how unrealistic that is

-Todd
Old 09-12-2004 | 11:36 PM
Launching!

buy an lt1, no joke, i driven both and owned both, my 96' ss has beaten many ls1's, and even a few modded ls1's.think about it, my stock ss spanks ls1's all day long, granted i have love for the ls1, but dollar for dollar and for that adrenaline rush you get when you stomp down on some REAL torque, you most definatly wont be dissapointed.
Old 09-13-2004 | 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Buy an 03 Cobra!!! I'm tired of hearing LS1 is better than LT1. I have an LT1 Camaro SS and I like it because I'm the underdog and it looks mean a hell. Nice LT1's are few and far between but the LS1's are like ants, everywhere I look I see one. I must admit that the LS1 is a great motor and is a little easier to work on. I like both and cannot choose sides so that's why my vote is for an 03 cobra. That is all I have to say.
Old 09-13-2004 | 07:23 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by jaredwayt
buy an lt1, no joke, i driven both and owned both, my 96' ss has beaten many ls1's, and even a few modded ls1's.think about it, my stock ss spanks ls1's all day long, granted i have love for the ls1, but dollar for dollar and for that adrenaline rush you get when you stomp down on some REAL torque, you most definatly wont be dissapointed.
I don't think you do - at least you shouldn't be.

Originally Posted by ZL1SS
Buy an 03 Cobra!!! I'm tired of hearing LS1 is better than LT1. I have an LT1 Camaro SS and I like it because I'm the underdog and it looks mean a hell. Nice LT1's are few and far between but the LS1's are like ants, everywhere I look I see one. I must admit that the LS1 is a great motor and is a little easier to work on. I like both and cannot choose sides so that's why my vote is for an 03 cobra. That is all I have to say.
03/04's are all over too.
Old 09-13-2004 | 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is my take -

I love my LT1, but would have bought an LS1 if i had the cash. At the time i bought a 38k miles 95Z28 M6. It ran OK, 13.9 @ 100mp w/2.19 60' (CAi/catback/free mods).

I then added shorty headers, MAF, 3.73's and ran 13.3 @ 105.8mph w/ 2.14 60'. That was on street tires riding the clutch out. I dynoed 301rwhp/338rwtq with that combo.

I then did heads/cam/LT's and I made 383rwhp/353rwtq with mailorder tune. Potential for 390rwhp was definitely there with a dyno tune (not bad for $450 port job on the heads and a medium size cam).

I was recently looking for an LS1 and found a 2000 SS M6 with 24k miles for 16,500 and it was mint! Unfortunatley I had too much invested in this LT1 (~18k including price of car) and it would spank any stockish LS1, so i decided to keep her. I could see myself being slow again. I am currently building a blown 383LT1. looking for ~650rwhp with 14-15psi.

It all comes down to how much you can spend. To me, if your parents wont let you spend money on mods, then get the most expensive/fastest ride out of the box. The point is, get what you want...not what everyone esle wants. I regret not getting a blk/blk ram air T/A...but when i fire up the Z and listen to the rumble...I dont regret it too much

good luck and either one is a great choice. PS, LT1's arent that hard to work on if you know what your doing.
Old 09-13-2004 | 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Here is my take -

I love my LT1, but would have bought an LS1 if i had the cash. At the time i bought a 38k miles 95Z28 M6. It ran OK, 13.9 @ 100mp w/2.19 60' (CAi/catback/free mods).

I then added shorty headers, MAF, 3.73's and ran 13.3 @ 105.8mph w/ 2.14 60'. That was on street tires riding the clutch out. I dynoed 301rwhp/338rwtq with that combo.

I then did heads/cam/LT's and I made 383rwhp/353rwtq with mailorder tune. Potential for 390rwhp was definitely there with a dyno tune (not bad for $450 port job on the heads and a medium size cam).

I was recently looking for an LS1 and found a 2000 SS M6 with 24k miles for 16,500 and it was mint! Unfortunatley I had too much invested in this LT1 (~18k including price of car) and it would spank any stockish LS1, so i decided to keep her. I could see myself being slow again. I am currently building a blown 383LT1. looking for ~650rwhp with 14-15psi.

It all comes down to how much you can spend. To me, if your parents wont let you spend money on mods, then get the most expensive/fastest ride out of the box. The point is, get what you want...not what everyone esle wants. I regret not getting a blk/blk ram air T/A...but when i fire up the Z and listen to the rumble...I dont regret it too much

good luck and either one is a great choice. PS, LT1's arent that hard to work on if you know what your doing.

Bingo. You hit the nail on the head. I am just PRAYING that I can find a (stock) black/red m6 T/A for 15k (with fair mileage) around Houston when the time comes. I really don't want to get stuck with a car and be unhappy with it... I just keep wanting more and more... Now I am sorta worried about getting a ws6... heh, of well, I just hope I find the perfect car come jan.
Old 09-13-2004 | 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just for everyones info, there is a 2002 WS6 M6 for sale on EBAY with a 17,900 but it now, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6420 , Wish i had come across this deal.......
Old 09-14-2004 | 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by psykoTa
Just for everyones info, there is a 2002 WS6 M6 for sale on EBAY with a 17,900 but it now, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6420 , Wish i had come across this deal.......
Old 09-14-2004 | 05:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaredwayt
agreed.. the only LS1 ive driven was when i test drove a newer WS6 on a used ford lot (odd i know).. it did NOT have the same torque monster feel my LT1 has (granted the WS6 was stock and my LT1er is slightly modded).. i musta been outta my mind even thinkin of tradin in my old bird but those WS6's sure r pretty
Old 09-14-2004 | 05:18 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

agreed.. the only LS1 ive driven was when i test drove a newer WS6 on a used ford lot (odd i know).. it did NOT have the same torque monster feel my LT1 has (granted the WS6 was stock and my LT1er is slightly modded).. i musta been outta my mind even thinkin of tradin in my old bird but those WS6's sure r pretty
That's the thing - the feel is different. That's it. It just feels quicker.
Old 09-14-2004 | 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
That's the thing - the feel is different. That's it. It just feels quicker.
No doubt. The LS1 is flat out faster and pulls smoother. LT1 feels more powerful, but its not.