New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modding a vette VS modding an F-body!

Old 09-14-2004, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modding a vette VS modding an F-body!

I don't know if this is a repeatedly asked question or not.(hopefully not, or jrp is probably gonna be the first one to reply), but I was just wondering if I was initially planning to buy an F-body, and I instead bought a C5. how would the modding pattern differ? considering I was planning on a heads and cam Fbody. would I end up modding the same exact things bolt-on-wise and rear end etc..or does modding a vette involve a different path? Thanks a lot in advance and I hope I am not beating on a dead horse!

Also: would I have any regrets if i got a C5 instead?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, modding a Vette is FAR more difficult than an F-boby. I think to just install a pulley, the whole k-member needs to be removed. Headers are a very tight fit as well. I dont think the rear end will need any modifying, it looks pretty sturdy. I'd imagine parts for a C5 are more expensive too, and you will probably end up having alot of the parts installed professionally.

In the future, I plan to own a C5 and supercharge it and do some other bolt-ons. It will be a serious car and tough to beat. If you have the money and time, I'd say get the Vette. They are more fun to drive IMO. If you are getting a car JUST to modify it, then get the F-body.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Go to LS1howto.com to find some good stuff.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:59 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and corvetteforums.com
Old 09-15-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i almost traded my SS in on one last month but after talking to a few guys the price of vette performance parts itself made me want to keep the camaro plus about a week ago i got beside a 2001 and actually won all three times we went at it , i know at about 80 or 90 he started coming on me but that was to be expected anyways thats my input
Old 09-15-2004, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Just to compare the 2 if you put 2 same year lets say 2002 F-body and a 2002 vette, ok put them both on a dyno jet dyno-the f-body will make more rwhp and more rwtq.The vette looses power with the tranny being mounted in the rear in stead of off the flywheel.So right off the bat you start off with less power on a vette.Same goes for the GTO, they make more power than the vette to the wheels.Dont listen to what thay rate them at,GM dosent want to loose vette sales to the GTO-probly the reason they did away with the F-body in the first place
Old 09-15-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but isnt the vette a lighter car so the power:weight ratio would be better right??
Old 09-15-2004, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input so far, but I guess I didn't word my question right. I meant the path of upgrade, is there a difference? meaning, when a newbe comes here asking what he should do to his car, most inputs are bolt on's first (lid, port tb, pulley, cat back/duals, lt's, ls6 intake, shifter for m6, tc for auto...etc.) then you would recommend either heads and cam route or forced induction, and at that point one would look into swaping out their rear end. that's what I learned here so far.

now as to the C5's can i use that same knowledge and apply it to modding the vette, or is the upgrade STEPS/PATH different?

that was what I meant to ask at first, sorry if i didn't word it right the first time.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

same path of upgrade for hp man-except I wouldn't waste money on a cat back until you do headers b/c they do nothing (except cosmetics).
Old 09-15-2004, 11:29 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

a) vettes aren't that much lighter

b) vettes lose power because of the IRS, not he rear tranny.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Launching!

in a vette you won't have anybody ask you, "do you have the vette engine in that car, eh?"
Old 09-15-2004, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

I would have gotten a C5 in a heartbeat if the insurance wasn't so high for me. The only problem I have with them is that you spend about as much as you would for an M3 and I believe that is a nicer fast car.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:53 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

About the same price and speed wise.

Now if you want to mod it, the BMW goes down like monica.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I wonder why Jrp did bust in here yet with some technical talk, telling me what path he would take upgrading for a C5!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

LS1 F-body i think are by far easier and cheaper to mod...more inexpensive and jsut all around "GET YOUR *** IN THE SEAT" kinda feel...the weight transfer is much more powerful from how ive experienced...Heads/Cam opackage for either same specs....will get you similar numbers...due to aero dynamics....and lighter weight the Corvette will take in that amazing 6 speed 3rd gear....but it woint be by much....the off the bat vettes i believe have had the bigger cam...so say 98-00 f-body's were pretty much identical to the vette....parts wise...theres a few things in play....but they had the same cam...01-02 LS6 intake on all LS1 cars...but the vettes still had the bigger vcam not sure of power comparison

LS1 F-bod will be cheaper and much easier to mod...will be jsut as fun if you kno what to do with it....you can make it a better well rounded car compared to a vette IMO...my neighbors vette has lost 2 me twice for a 1/4 runs on the street...and my mods are small she has a 99 or 00?then ive taken on 2 other vettes...and auto and a stick...the guy with the stick spun them throught first BIG time...so i edged him on the street while my tires would grab! haha sorry aobut length but F-body will give you a better path bolton and internal wise...much cheaper same power....TRUE MUSCLE!!!! will go fast and get there quick
Old 09-15-2004, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

everyone stop bashing the vette! It costs more, but it's the best car out of the GM line. Why do you think that LPE mods them so far? I haven't seen a street legal F-body go 200 mph. More expensive-yes. Harder to mod-maybe. But come on, F-bodies have Vette engines, not the other way around. Vette=respect son!

M3s have back seats and a trunk though! Also they CAN mod well, maybe not as well, but it's a much nicer car and it is fast and comprable in price. not like the audis
Old 09-16-2004, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

here is a example,when I first got my car I did SLP headers, firehawk cat back ,4.11 gears , and SLP lid & flow pack and short belt mod and no filter.That was enough to hand a 02 ZO6 it's *** all day long at the track.No match at all.Don't beleive the hype!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

so basically, Bang per buck. F-body wins.
The ups to a vette is that it is more of a sports car, handles better, the rear end is stronger, more aerodynamic?

The downs to a vette is that similar parts will cost more, installs will cost more. initial price is higher?

I would have also wrote looks better, and is more fun to drive, but I figured that those two are subjective in nature. so am i right so far?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by themindfield
so basically, Bang per buck. F-body wins.
The ups to a vette is that it is more of a sports car, handles better, the rear end is stronger, more aerodynamic?

The downs to a vette is that similar parts will cost more, installs will cost more. initial price is higher?

I would have also wrote looks better, and is more fun to drive, but I figured that those two are subjective in nature. so am i right so far?
so far, yes. but that same "stronger" rear end costs you power

f-body is easier/cheaper to mod. both take very well to mods. 'vette has more class, in my opinion tho a sleek WS6 looks far more badass then a stock c5. JMHO tho. vettes definitely handle better, but you could replace the entire suspenion on a f-body and get to that same place(just costs $$$). go with your aesthetic preference, both cars will go fast. if you don't install the parts yourself, then 'vettes will end up costin you way more down the road. install prices are steep. so are many part prices.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rdavis93
everyone stop bashing the vette! It costs more, but it's the best car out of the GM line. Why do you think that LPE mods them so far? I haven't seen a street legal F-body go 200 mph. More expensive-yes. Harder to mod-maybe. But come on, F-bodies have Vette engines, not the other way around. Vette=respect son!
having a vette go 200mph and f-body not, does not mean a vette is better. i sure a high horsepower street legal f-body with proper gearing will easily go 200+, but most people gear them for the quarter mile. how many times do you race somebody to 200? its all personal taste. i like vettes, but there too common. JMHO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: modding a vette VS modding an F-body!