Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS or Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SS or Z28?

My question is what is the difference between the 98-02 Camaro SS and the Z28. Is one more preferred than the other? I know the SS tends to make a little more horsepower than the Z28, but is it really that noticeable?
I am new to this site,but not new to hot rodding as I currently own a 65 Chevelle, but am deciding to make the jump to newer technology, more precisely the ls1 engine. I have seen more done with the ls1 than with a standard small block Chevy, and it seems to really respond to basic mods better than the regular small block.
Thanks for your answers, I do look forward to reading them, as well as the rest of the site.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

well, the SS costs more, and has more options than the Z28. The performance difference isnt really noticeable. If you are looking for an all out drag car, I would go with the Z28, its lighter. The SS is nicer for daily driving though. I beleive the SS comes with ram air, which gives some of the extra hp, along with a slighly freer flowing exhuast...
Old 09-23-2004, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

The only differences are noticeably the hood, spoiler, wheels, suspension and badges. The SS does not necessarily make more hp. Put an SS or a Z-28 on a dyno and it will be close with mabey even the Z being higher. LS1 engines vary with power and the SS could make 310 and the Z could make 320 or visa versa. The SS is basically only better for the prestige and bragging rights. People who don't know better think the SS is faster but they are the same engines and trannies putting out the same numbers. I would get SS just for the all the people out their who think that SS's are better and the way the SS looks.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:27 PM
10 Second Moderator

Yup, SS is just a Appearance package, same cam same engines and trannies blah blah blah...I love the looks of my 2000 SS though, just looks mean.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Torkman15
Yup, SS is just a Appearance package, same cam same engines and trannies blah blah blah...I love the looks of my 2000 SS though, just looks mean.

I agree
Old 09-23-2004, 06:00 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no difference in power between the two, not even between camaros/trans ams and c-5 vettes. factory rated our cars lower to keep vette owner's heads in the clouds. i like the SS cars more because i think they look so much meaner. if you have the money, get the ss, it will probably be worth more later down the line anyway.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

I say put an LS-x motor in your chevelle. Now that would be nice.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

too much work when you could just build a mean *** small block and throw it in for WAYYY less money.

i wanted to build a forged 383 stroker w/ spray and put it in my s-10 blazer. but then i would have been stuck with somthing not very street friendly and struggling to outrun stock sports cars.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Too much work and too much money are two different things...
You underestimate the coooool factor.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only difference is the appearance like some have mentioned here. The "ram air" ain't worth a damn in the SS as far as I know. The difference in horsepower is only in paper, since GM claims the SS to have 325 hp and the Z28 with 310 hp (for 2001-2002 models). Although some SS's came with factory installed options from SLP. The SLP catback SS was rated as about 335 hp, and the SLP lid and catback was rated at 345 hp. But like i said, Z28's dyno the same.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Screwy
My question is what is the difference between the 98-02 Camaro SS and the Z28. Is one more preferred than the other? I know the SS tends to make a little more horsepower than the Z28, but is it really that noticeable?
I am new to this site,but not new to hot rodding as I currently own a 65 Chevelle, but am deciding to make the jump to newer technology, more precisely the ls1 engine. I have seen more done with the ls1 than with a standard small block Chevy, and it seems to really respond to basic mods better than the regular small block.
Thanks for your answers, I do look forward to reading them, as well as the rest of the site.
I had a 98 SS, sold it and now have an 02 Z28. The only difference between the SS and Z28, beyond looks, is the exhaust. There are three exhaust options for the Camaro: SLP SS muffler, GM SS muffler, or the GM Z28 muffler.

Each muffler is different in design and that is basically where the rated HP difference comes into play.

I personally replaced my Z28 muffler with a Magnaflow muffler and it is suppose to be a more free flowing exhaust than all three mentioned above. Stock for stock, the SS will get more respect on the street because of SS tag, hood, and spoiler not because it is faster. Other than looks, the SS hood really does nothing for HP. Buy what looks good to you.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Same as a "regular" Trans Am and a WS.6. Nothing more than an appearance package. Although extensive testing in the Import world has shown insane HP gains from stickers, badging, and lights.

On a side note: A salemen at the dealership I work at just bought a GTO. Saw my car and commented how I would "whoop his *** sideways because its a WS.6". I just laughed and let it go, didnt feel like going into the whole spiel about the LS1. I did tell him he was an idiot for not waiting for the '05 because it comes out so soon and told him about the LS2. Poor guy, made him sad. Oh well.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MillaTK
well, the SS costs more, and has more options than the Z28. The performance difference isnt really noticeable. If you are looking for an all out drag car, I would go with the Z28, its lighter. The SS is nicer for daily driving though. I beleive the SS comes with ram air, which gives some of the extra hp, along with a slighly freer flowing exhuast...
why is the z28 lighter than the ss?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by fab1
why is the z28 lighter than the ss?
It isn't neccesarily lighter. The options that your car has will determine the weight. I have a hard top 99 SS without and it isn't any heavier than a hard top Z28 with the same options. The convertables will be the heaviest of the bunch. Get which car you like. The performance is pretty much the same between all of the f-bodies. If you like the looks of one body style over an other then get the one you like. Out of the box the SS's and WS6's and Firehawks handle slightly better. They have a little different shocks and wider tires. They also have slightly more free flowing exhaust. The ram air package might help you a little once you are moving but it isn't anything to speak of. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Black '02 Z28 and the only thing I would trade it for is a Red '02 w/Silver stripped SS w/T-Tops. I say this because the badging on mine is black as well and you really can't see it so most people think that it's a plain 'ol Slo-camaro. 'Verts are heavier, but I am not a "big" guy so I probably don't weigh more than most other non-verts w/ thier passengers. The only reason I would trade is for looks. Then again there are some good lookin after market hoods for Z's. Research and buy what you like. Usually my philosophy is "If I buy it and don't like the style, color etc.. I'm not worried, they make more everyday" In this case however....... You really can't go wrong either way IMO. And to confuse you more....Don't forget about the T/A line..... The WS6 hoods look mean as hell, imo.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:20 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Z28's usually come less equipped than SS's, but not always.

Someone on here was talking about having a vert V6 camaro with every option checked off, so you could probably get a Z28 the same.

Also, for the price difference, you could probably pick up a hood and spoiler for your Z28, then get a set of nice wheels (I don't like stock SS wheels all that much, or Z28 wheels for that matter) and still be money ahead $$$ over buying an SS.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z98
...Someone on here was talking about having a vert V6 camaro with every option checked off, so you could probably get a Z28 the same.

Also, for the price difference, you could probably pick up a hood and spoiler for your Z28, then get a set of nice wheels (I don't like stock SS wheels all that much, or Z28 wheels for that matter) and still be money ahead $$$ over buying an SS.
Yes you can. My Z has everything (I think?) Leather, Power Seat, ASR, blah, blah, blah, all the way down to the Polished Chrome Wheels w/ Goodyear GS-C Z rated Directionals.(those could be standard, ) I don't know what it would be missing??? Oh yeah, On-Star, I don't have On-Star.

But z98 is correct. If you get less options this free's up more cash to make it look/drive the way you want. Plus you don't feel like your paying for the same options twice when you replace the stock ones.
BTW: Welcome

Last edited by 02blkragtopz; 09-24-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the Z28 because I could get it "stripped" and I knew up front that I was going to mod the sh*t outta it. I currently have a SS hood tho...they look awesome IMO. There is no difference in performance between the two. The SS's larger contact patch is offset by the lighter rim/tire combo and sidewall flex of the Z28. Get wheichever one pushes your happy-buttons...
Old 09-24-2004, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

I've never owned a SS becuase of the price tag. I've had a bunch of Z28's. But if I could, I would have an SS. They look awesome.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:06 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had both, and the only thing I think that makes any difference is the tires.

My 01 Z was faster than my 00 SS (I had a little more mods though), but the SS looks way cooler. Stock for stock though, the tires are the only thing that will keep the SS in front, but that only really matters on the launch, in the turns and coming to a stop.