Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ss

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Default 2000 Ss

hey! my dad jsut surprised me with a 200 camaro ss . I'm only 16 by the way. it is an slp car with lid and slp longtube headers with loudmouth exhaust. i was wondering what kind of horsepower at the crank and what kind of rear wheel horsepower am i runnin. also i was wondering what i should do next? i was thinkin cold air intake (because im 16 and dont have a job). also i was wonderin what tires i should buy...remember im on a budget. THANKS
Old 10-07-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe you should look into a throttle body and intake combo. or just one or another. thats prolly one of the cheapest. oh btw congrats on the new car!! what color and auto or six speed?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

1st off...treat the car good and do not under estimate the power of the car.
2nd off...ignore the people that might flame you for your dad buying you the car. But you are very lucky.

If you have the lid...there is NO need for a cold air intake. Its basically the same thing. Might just want to replace the filter depending if it needs one or not. So far the car already has a nice little list of bolt ons. The car should be making approximately 330rwhp right about now. If you want some drag radials for tires I would go with the Nitto 555r or the BF goodrich. The BF's will get better traction and whatnot, but the Nitto will last long.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on the car. Be careful though, there will be alot of people jealous because its a sweet ride(just a word of advice). I wanted an f-body because its cheaper to mod.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your father is insane just so you know. Giving any 16 year old a car with that much power is just plain stupid. I only hope you don't kill yourself street racing, taking a turn too fast or trying to find out if the car can bury the needle. I understand your excited and all but I would do absolutely no mods for at least a year. You should use that time to learn how to drive and handle the car. Then maybe start modding once your actually working and save up a few bucks. I'm sure this won't be a popular post with you but I have a 16 and 13 year old and I know the last thing I would ever do is give them a car with 300+ HP that clearly they would be racing with. While your father is likely your favorite person right now he shouldn't expect any parent of the year awards anytime soon.

Be safe and learn what the car can and can not do as safely as possible. And to answer your question you should have about 350 FWHP and around 300 RWHP (give or take 10).
Old 10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for all your feedback. by the way it is black with an auto. it also has a K&n and had a tune at the dealer. And jsut to let you all know.....i have grown up with a gear head dad who has been buying and selling camaros since he was 15. He thoroughly trusts me, and for good reason. I'm not stupid....and i wouldnt street race. street racing is a stupid way to get your license taken away. needless to say burnouts are fun but tires are expensive. plus to let you know...i havent gotten a speeding ticket yet. i'm scared to speed cuzz the cops are out looking for 16 year olds in camaros. they will right me up for every last thing.

P.S. Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven
Old 10-07-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by a98firebird
thanks for all your feedback. by the way it is black with an auto. it also has a K&n and had a tune at the dealer. And jsut to let you all know.....i have grown up with a gear head dad who has been buying and selling camaros since he was 15. He thoroughly trusts me, and for good reason. I'm not stupid....and i wouldnt street race. street racing is a stupid way to get your license taken away. needless to say burnouts are fun but tires are expensive. plus to let you know...i havent gotten a speeding ticket yet. i'm scared to speed cuzz the cops are out looking for 16 year olds in camaros. they will right me up for every last thing.

Well I hope you really mean that. But then again that is what EVERY teenager says to thier parents, teachers, ect. And then they go race

What's with the mod list now? Did your dad buy you an allready modded car?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check the sig
Old 10-07-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off, congrats on the car man. You are one lucky ****.

Second, DO NOT FUGGIN KILL YOURSELF IN THIS CAR! I dont
even have an F-body but people cannot tell you this enough.
I know what you said about not racing and all that but you
might act different than what you say when you got a some
pudd smacker in a '99 GT next to you revving and callin you
*****. (Especially if you happen to be rolling with your woman,
if you got one.) Just take it easy get a GOOD feel for your car
as is, and while you do that save money for mods.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I'm not stupid....and i wouldnt street race. street racing is a stupid way to get your license taken away.
Ha! I remember saying that...
Old 10-08-2004, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

What kind of time at the drag do oyu think should be reasonable? low 13's? 13.2? im guessing i dont know
Old 10-08-2004, 04:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Mid 13's.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
Your father is insane just so you know. Giving any 16 year old a car with that much power is just plain stupid. I only hope you don't kill yourself street racing, taking a turn too fast or trying to find out if the car can bury the needle. I understand your excited and all but I would do absolutely no mods for at least a year. You should use that time to learn how to drive and handle the car. Then maybe start modding once your actually working and save up a few bucks. I'm sure this won't be a popular post with you but I have a 16 and 13 year old and I know the last thing I would ever do is give them a car with 300+ HP that clearly they would be racing with. While your father is likely your favorite person right now he shouldn't expect any parent of the year awards anytime soon.

Be safe and learn what the car can and can not do as safely as possible. And to answer your question you should have about 350 FWHP and around 300 RWHP (give or take 10).

dont listen to this guy, just gas the hell out of it. and if your about to crash, aim at a ford . i got my car a week or two before my 18th birthday and i've had it since march. i was scared to death of it for about 2 or 3 weeks untill i really got a feel for it. ive been wrenching on race cars and racing motocross since i was knee high to a short frog so my experience with going fast isnt anything new. i drove an s-10 blazer from when i turned 16 till i got the car and i did some pretty stupid stuff in it. it wasnt a fast ride but i almost got hurt in it more than a few times. as for the street racing, there is no possible way for you to have a *****, and not race a mustang if he starts revving next to you at a light, its just plain un-american. be smart and keep yer eyes open to ALL things going on around you.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of time at the drag do oyu think should be reasonable? low 13's? 13.2? im guessing i dont know
Depends on your location. If by chance you live in colorado and race at PMI you will not get better than a 14.4. But you should be somewhere in the 13 mark.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

hey DMNSPD why do you think i would only run mid 13's when you are runnin 13.2's and dont have lt's?
Old 10-09-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
as for the street racing, there is no possible way for you to have a *****, and not race a mustang if he starts revving next to you at a light, its just plain un-american. be smart and keep yer eyes open to ALL things going on around you.
This is one of the dumbest comments I've read in these forums. Maybe not the very dumbest but definately in the top 20. There is a time and place for racing those pesky mustangs. The time is Test-N-tune and the place is your friendly neighborhood NHRA/IHRA drag strip. At least there the cops will shake my hand after a race instead of putting hand cuffs on them.

People have and do get arrested, suspended license, hurt or even killed due to street racing at high speeds. It's just not worth it. You don't need to risk your life to prove you have a *****. Just get married and have a few kids. Then your wife will own it but at least your confident of it's existance.

Stay safe out there.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.

get very familiar with the car before you start playing with it, and be wise on the street. you are definately a cops dream if you get pulled over! i would do some suspension work since you already have some good bolt ons. and definately check out JRP's sig before asking any questions that you might think are "simple". i bet hes answered all of those!

oh, and where are you at?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

hey DMNSPD why do you think i would only run mid 13's when you are runnin 13.2's and dont have lt's?
It's an auto and you're inexperienced. You also don't have drag radials.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome, congrats on the car! You are very fortunate. I have to agree with darrensls1formula though, giving a kid a car like that at 16 is asking for trouble. However, you seem to have a good attitude about it. Just make sure it stays that way. Racing on the street is dumb, but it happens. Just be EXTREMELY careful, ESPECIALLY in the rain. It is VERY easy to slide your *** end out in these cars. And last, but not least... DO NOT RICE THE CAR OUT. You don't seem like the person that would do it, but a lot of young kids just love to slap some altezza's on, some crappy *** body kits, huge wings, etc... If you are gonna do that, you might as well trade cars with me

Old 10-09-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
It's an auto and you're inexperienced. You also don't have drag radials.
thats what I was thinking too... Good driver would be able to hit low 13's without a problem... possibly high 12's...

Quick Reply: 2000 Ss