Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t-tops leak, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-tops leak, please help

This is my 6th f-body but 1st with leaky t-tops? My '99 Z28 leaks water on both sides at the rear outer corner of the top. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you repair the problem? Is all new weatherstrip my only option? It all looks to be in great shape.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got this same problem..my right ttop right between the window and the ttop leaks in...but...the weatherstripping looks good still..should still be working may be cuz its cold..though...cuz its about 40 degrees here every day.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Subframe freakin' connectors. I had the same problem and never thought they could make a difference and well... I was really wrong. Get the beefiest weld-ins you can get too. There is no such thing as overkill with these.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1-AL
This is my 6th f-body but 1st with leaky t-tops? My '99 Z28 leaks water on both sides at the rear outer corner of the top. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you repair the problem? Is all new weatherstrip my only option? It all looks to be in great shape.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Don't know if this will help but you might want to check how much of the t-top rods are being engaged at the pillars (particularly the back one in your case). Use a screwdriver to remove the screws holding the plastic trim pieces in place.

You should be able to pull the trim back enough to see if they might be the problem. The bracket that engages the t-top rod can be adjusted back and forth and is held in position by a bolt.

Just loosen, adjust, and retighten if you need to. I was thinking that maybe if it was possible to hold more of the locking rod, then it might hold the t-top tighter to the window/car.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Mine is leaking in the same spot, i'll try the mod above and if that doesn't work i'll get subframe connectors
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Mine leaks at the same spot (air and water) a body shop looked at mine and said that the door hinges were worn out. I haven't replaced mine yet so I can't say for sure that this is the problem but it makes sense. If the door is sagging in the back then it wouldn't seal right.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine leaks and I took the driver door panel out and notice I was missing one of the guide pins that's pushing/rubbing on the window as it goes up. Im sure this could be causing the window to leak do to uneven assistence on window.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you pull the interior door panel there are two adjustment tabs on the top of the door frame that allow the glass to tilt in and tighten the seal allong the T top.

Just loosen the two 10MM bolts and let the glass tilt in slightly and retighten.

If you went too far your door will be hard to shut from the pressure along the T top seal.

this is usually the problem, not the hinges.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Teching In

This may seem weird but i had the same problem with a Targa top that i used to have.....

I heard that severely treating the rubber with Armoral would stop it.......i tried it and NO ****.....no more leaks....maybe i'm lucky or maybe it really works......give it a shot before modding the stuff.....

Quick Reply: t-tops leak, please help