Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging New AC.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Charging New AC.

I had the system evacuated and am getting ready to install compressor/drier and all that jazz. Can I charge it myself after the install? Or does it have to be done special?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

I haven't done it, but have been told by several people you can do it yourself, just buy one of the little kits that any auto store should have.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

You said you had it evacuated. But to the best of my knowledge you will have to pull a vacuum, to get all moisture and particulates out of the system.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the refrigerant puled since you cant legally just release it into the open. I heard when you charge a new system you need to oil it and stuff.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you cant "leaglly" just release it, but if you're working on it and it all "comes out", whos knew?

you really need to pull a vacuum on it before you re-charge it. make sure you fill that compressor up with oil before installation too

did you pull the liquid line off of the firewall and change the orifice tube? mine was jam packed w/ metal after my compressor went. i also like to take the lines off and get an air compressor and blow all the **** out that you possibly can before you put it all back together.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can I pull a vacuum on it? The orfice tube was replaced also. Thx
Old 03-05-2005, 06:52 PM
That's what she said...

you need a vacuum pump. when they "evacuated" the system, they should have released all the pressure into a container, then pumped out the rest, leaving a vacuum. when you start installing parts however, air will rush back into the system and another vacuum will need to be pulled.

if you go to a local A/C shop, they can pull a vacuum for you. who did the evacuation? get them to pull another vacuum and it would be best to have them charge it for ya too
Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a hand held vacuum pump. A local ac place did the evac. How much to do the rest of the stuff on average.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Teching In

You need a vacuum pump and a A/C gauge manifold. Hook the yellow hose up to the suction side of the compressor. Then hook the blue hose up to the vacuum pump. Turn the vacuum pump on and open the suction valve in the pump there is only one suction valve on the pump or there may not be one. Then open the blue handle on the gauge manifold. It should start to suck out anything like mositure or refrigerant out of your system. It will take about 24hrs.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:11 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
I have a hand held vacuum pump. A local ac place did the evac. How much to do the rest of the stuff on average.
i think you shoulda just *accidentally* started taking it apart before it was evac'd

bring it back to them and have them pull a vacuum on it after you get EVERYTHING INSTALLED AND READY TO GO. you can pull a vacuum and leave the guage manifolds hooked up for a while, if the pressure starts to rise out of the vacuum, that means you have a leak somewhere, this is helpfull to know before you spend the money to have it re-charged.

if you pay them to charge it for you, i would imagine they would pull the vacuum for free. they will come out with a 30lb drum of freon, not one of those little BS cans you buy at the autoparts store and have you out and about in no time.

a handheld vacuum pump would take for freaking EVER if its the kind that i'm thinking it is. you have a huge volume that you need to evacuate the air from compared to say a clutch hydro system.

and it should not take 24 hours to pull a vacuum on a car's a/c system. i would pull on it untill the pressure guage stopped dropping and then shut the valves. you can also listen to the sound of the vacuum pump, the noise some should change when it starts to get a nice vacuum on it.