Actually have an SS
45.37%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Its not an SS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the SS better because the hood and spoiler get rid of that catfish bubble apperance.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
isn't the suspension better as well?
you would be correct on the suspension thing....BELIEVE ME i looked in and OUT of these cars way before i bought one(like 2-3years)....GM claims the SS has more horse power b/c of the forced induction hood but in reality thats flywheel not rearWHEEL...but we all know or SHOULD KNOW(for u dumbasses out there)...that the Z-28 and the SS are the same/vice versa w/ the T/A and WS-6.....its all relative....SS..WS6 are looks....and im not gonna lie...lookers they ARE!!! when i see a black WS6 rollen down the street from a distance that thing looks like its gonna eat ur babies..GOD I LOVE THAT APPEARENCE PACKAGE!!!....and the same for the SS...but i DAMN well when i see a T/A or Z28 that they have just as much if NOT MORE potential as the SS, WS6 owners....the only thing in the long run the the appearence is resell value....hell i LOVE EM BOTH
Old 04-17-2005, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Now imagine having a true '69 Z28 and having someone be let down when they find out it's not the more common SS.
this is one of the reasons id rather have a Z28, look back at the history
Old 04-17-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

Why is that? So that it will look more powerfull, and people who don't know anything will think it's faster?

Doesn't GM put SS badges on everything now?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my $1.50. Now go buy a cheeseburger.

I bought my Z because it was way cheaper than what I could find a comparable SS for. I am more interested in ET's than most things, so the $6K-$8K difference (yeah really), would not be in my best interests for the mostly appearance package. The SS does have slightly better suspension for handling, but not really for Drag Racing. I do wish I had the wider wheels and tire to start with, but I think I am going to use draglites anyway (out comes the grinder!). As a matter of fact, I think the tires and wheels are by far the biggest improvement in performance the SS has.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

So the SS is not faster than the Z28?

Damn! Ya learn somethin new every day!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

and the suspension differences are not anything that cannot/will not be changed anyway.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

After reading this thread. Not even sure why they made SS's.
Z28 Rule all ! At least one of my SS's is a Z28 SS

Last edited by LINGENFELTER SS; 04-18-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Damn, my SS is going in autotrader tomorrow and Im pickin up a Z as soon as its sold.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LINGENFELTER SS
After reading this thread. Not even sure why they made SS's.
Although I think we're all being a bit sarcastic here for some newbies browsing this, you really have to wonder why they even bothered. Just another marketing thing...

Originally Posted by GM Morons
Hey, let's slap SS on something.... um... Astro van? Nope... Um.... Malibu? No, we'll save that for 2006... um... Camaro! yeah, we'll just throw some body stuff on it and tell the ignorant car buying public it's so much faster!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

u know.....i have responded to this thread once before but come on guys look at what were talkin about....DOES IT REALLY ****** MATTER!!!!.....u cant change what gm has done...is doing....and GONNA DO AGAIN.....geez drop it already
Old 04-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no need to dis

Originally Posted by jrp
SS's

Z28

Both are very nice. Some like they're ls1 plain others like it with a little garnish. No need to dis one or the other they're both fbodys powered with the same drivetrain.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sanders
Damn, my SS is going in autotrader tomorrow and Im pickin up a Z as soon as its sold.
Well you know, from the prices I've seen you could sell your SS. Buy a newer z28 and still have a money left for mods. That is the one thing that they are better at. The'yre cheaper to buy.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

I'm glad I got my SS and would have done the same thing if i had to do it all over again. I love the hood, i love the spoiler, i love the wheels and tires and suspension that all came on my car. And GM wasn't putting the SS badge on everything back in 98-02 like they are today so you can't really use that against people who got their cars back then. Whenever my friends and I mention an SS we all assume we're talking about a Camaro pretty much the same way most people don't think of the 1980's when someone mentions a Dodge Challenger.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Z28

Both are very nice. Some like they're ls1 plain others like it with a little garnish. No need to dis one or the other they're both fbodys powered with the same drivetrain.
It was probably a joke. Internet=lack of emotion.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by psykoTA
It was probably a joke. Internet=lack of emotion.
So was mine. Just messin w/JRP. I've used him and thanked him for a lot of help on my car and was hoping he knew he had my respect.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Launching!

I actually had some guys tell me that the SS Camaros had forged internals and the z28's dont, kinda like the cobras do and the gt's dont. i think he drove a mustang...
Old 04-19-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scifone
I actually had some guys tell me that the SS Camaros had forged internals and the z28's dont, kinda like the cobras do and the gt's dont. i think he drove a mustang...
Well the SS's do have the supercharger and nitrous factory intalled along with the 9 inch.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've given thought to shaving all logos (Z28) and putting true duals on before the axle; it'll look V6 when parked, and I can tell the guy at the light that 'its just a base model'

but... i like the thought of owning a Z28 over an SS (im going to keep the badges on). I had the option when I bought this thing back in November of a Red 02 SS for 25,900 w/ 6k miles, or an 02 Pewter Z with 28k miles for 15,995. Yes, ten thousand dollars cheaper, and this is before any haggling! After some negotiating and tax I paid 16.2 and the SS went for 25,495 (got to see the paperwork after I inquired about it). SS's have a serious premium and its all just to satisy those 'SS?' questions.

I paid 360 bucks for my SS rims off eBay (shipped) NEW (morre991 or something for seller ID) and since my tires needed replacement, it was only 100$ more for the 275/40's over the 245/16's. I guess the hood looks cool, but that $ could go into a cam, headers... you get the point.

AND money does matter. The statement: 'if money is not an option, everyone would get an SS,' relies on a false premise. If YOU think a hoodscoop and a wing is worth all that extra money, than apparently you have different motives in your purchase (which is cool, i'm not SS bashing by any means). I'm taking the 10 grand I saved and put it toward graduate school, exhaust, intake, headers, brake upgrades, suspension, and am going to scotland/iceland for 2 weeks, AND have left over cash to put gas in the tank and go out and beat other SS's with the mods I put on with the cash I saved.

Besides, who really cares if people get disappointed when you say its not an SS, but a Z28? You should say, 'Why would I want an SS.' You SHOULD be happy that you saved thousands and thousands of dollars and have an equivalent car w/o the appearance gear.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
I've given thought to shaving all logos (Z28) and putting true duals on before the axle; it'll look V6 when parked, and I can tell the guy at the light that 'its just a base model'

but... i like the thought of owning a Z28 over an SS (im going to keep the badges on). I had the option when I bought this thing back in November of a Red 02 SS for 25,900 w/ 6k miles, or an 02 Pewter Z with 28k miles for 15,995. Yes, ten thousand dollars cheaper, and this is before any haggling! After some negotiating and tax I paid 16.2 and the SS went for 25,495 (got to see the paperwork after I inquired about it). SS's have a serious premium and its all just to satisy those 'SS?' questions.

I paid 360 bucks for my SS rims off eBay (shipped) NEW (morre991 or something for seller ID) and since my tires needed replacement, it was only 100$ more for the 275/40's over the 245/16's. I guess the hood looks cool, but that $ could go into a cam, headers... you get the point.

AND money does matter. The statement: 'if money is not an option, everyone would get an SS,' relies on a false premise. If YOU think a hoodscoop and a wing is worth all that extra money, than apparently you have different motives in your purchase (which is cool, i'm not SS bashing by any means). I'm taking the 10 grand I saved and put it toward graduate school, exhaust, intake, headers, brake upgrades, suspension, and am going to scotland/iceland for 2 weeks, AND have left over cash to put gas in the tank and go out and beat other SS's with the mods I put on with the cash I saved.

Besides, who really cares if people get disappointed when you say its not an SS, but a Z28? You should say, 'Why would I want an SS.' You SHOULD be happy that you saved thousands and thousands of dollars and have an equivalent car w/o the appearance gear.
For someone who is not trying to bash the SS your awful negative over it.
Like I said its all ls1 just with or without garnish.... The basic stripped down z is the best deal. You cant find a stripper SS cause they're not made. If I wanted a v6 looking more produced Camaro I would have bought the Z28. But I wanted all the bells and whistles. To each his own. Your argument about your saving money works in the short run until you mod it to to be more like an SS then your on the loosing end. You think just buying wheels off ebay got you close to the SS mods? The suspension and exaust ad performance. You need to purchase and install those to be equal. So ad more money to your equation. AND in the end- You've still got just a z28 for value and you've already shown the SS sold for 10k more.

"I'm taking the 10 grand I saved and put it toward graduate school, exhaust, intake, headers, brake upgrades, suspension, and am going to scotland/iceland for 2 weeks, AND have left over cash to put gas in the tank and go out and beat other SS's with the mods I put on with the cash I saved." Are you buying all used parts and going to community college?

exhaust, intake, headers, brake upgrades, suspension, Your looking at 3-5 k right there. I suppose if your staying at friends your vacation is still in tact.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-19-2005 at 01:52 PM.