New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shuts off during fishtail/burnout

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing after I had the torque converter installed..
Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natronathon
no i was reffering to the torque converter, and I think i would be locked up because of the rpm the engine is pulling when you floor an auto in a parking lot, once passed 3K rpms it should be locked from what i understand. Mine happened when i let of the gas when doing a 360 in a somewhat wet parking lot, and the car came to an abrupt stop. I think the Torque Converter didn't have time to unlock and the engine stalled, somewhat similar to what happens in the same case when driving a manual and the clutch isn't pushed in in time... Thats just my educated guess. The electronics didn't die in this case on my car, because i had the radio on, and it took me a second to realize the car had died. Also, I had TCS off, cause I had planned on doing the 360!

Nathan
I think your full of **** lol. J/k man. But I don't think it is the stock torque converter. Maybe if he had a big converter and a shitty tune it would die...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natronathon
no i was reffering to the torque converter, and I think i would be locked up because of the rpm the engine is pulling when you floor an auto in a parking lot, once passed 3K rpms it should be locked from what i understand. Mine happened when i let of the gas when doing a 360 in a somewhat wet parking lot, and the car came to an abrupt stop. I think the Torque Converter didn't have time to unlock and the engine stalled, somewhat similar to what happens in the same case when driving a manual and the clutch isn't pushed in in time... Thats just my educated guess. The electronics didn't die in this case on my car, because i had the radio on, and it took me a second to realize the car had died. Also, I had TCS off, cause I had planned on doing the 360!

Nathan
torque converter lockup is speed based, not rpm. so if he was doing a burnout and the rear tires where spinning at a speed of 35MPH+ it should be locked, unless its WOT then its unlocked

and about your abrupt stop, everything in the drivetrain stops, including the half of the TC thats connected to the trans, the half thats attatched to the engine is still trying to spin, and the way the TC works is by throwing trans fuild at the other side, so if one side isnt spinning then the fuild doesnt move.
now at idle its spinning slow enough where this doesnt make a problem but when you suddenly stop from a high speed, for example 3K RPM, the abrupt sudden stop of everything causes the engine to stall out, had you put in into N or brought it to a slower stop then the engine wouldnt die

Last edited by LiquidFire350; 06-17-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many people have had problems with the battery not being
held down tight, rolling back and shorting to the fenderwell
sheet metal. Check for signs of this, dog it down, maybe
even stick some rubber tape on there where the B+ terminal
would tend to land just for luck.

Other loose connections, ground braids, etc. can also go
flaky with lateral acceleration. But the battery being loose
seems not uncommon.

Quick Reply: Engine shuts off during fishtail/burnout