New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Thinking of buying an '01/'02 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005 | 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Default Help! Thinking of buying an '01/'02 Z28

Hey guys. I've been posting on the Firebird forums for a while but the selection is few and far between in the Trans-Am world. Honestly, I think the Camaro's better all-around (looking) car but luxury and functionality (Ram Air scoops) is much easier to find (more common) in Trans Ams. I'm also afraid cops will look at Camaros 1st even though they're the same dam car. Plus, I can't find ANY 6-Speeds for sale (that doesn't have NOS installed *I DON'T want a beat-up car!*).

Anways - on to my question - there are a couple nice and inticing Z28's in my area and I'm wondering what I loose (other than luxury of leather seats, etc.) from the Z28 to the SS (I'm guessing I'll get a lower rear diff. and not-as-good suspension). These cars have 46.6k Miles ($16,991) and 57,600k Miles ($16,995) is this reasonable? Also, how much would it cost me to get one of those nice SS hood scoops put on (from pain to installation)?

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 07-05-2005 | 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Well that might be high I got my 01 ss for cheaper than that had 62k miles on it and in great shape. But if they are what you are looking for then you might consider it. Hood scoops are around $600 then you have to get it painted so around 800-1000 possibly. http://www.rksport.com/product/p_01011104/view_detail They shouldnt be hard to install but then you should get the ram air to make it functional.
Old 07-05-2005 | 11:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

SS is basically an appearance package, and offers no real performance gains over a base Z28. The SS's are typically a little heavier due to the 17" wheels, which pretty much negated the better catback exhaust system on them.

SS Package:
17" wheels/tires
Scoop on the hood
different rear spoiler
different catback (worth about 8-10 hp)
slightly stiffer coil springs

Don't focus so much on buying a car local to you. Search around the country, 1-way plane tickets are cheap and you shouldn't settle for anything less than what you really want. Buy it, fly out there, and drive it home. Awesome experience!

Tony
Old 07-06-2005 | 01:08 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

And trust me when I tell you that Tony KNOWS about buying cars.
Old 07-06-2005 | 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

could be fun but that means it would have to pass CA smog... nuff said there other than the 20 billion tickets i'll get for doing 10mph over the speed limit all the way home (17 year old kid driving a decent sports car) lol. I'll see what I can come up with. Also, where can I find a good Ram Air for the SS hood? Thanks for the input, keep it comin!

Also, what happens when I get that 1-way ticket with money in-hand and find something wrong with the car once I drive it?

Last edited by GTObsessor; 07-06-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2005 | 03:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTObsessor

Anways - on to my question - there are a couple nice and inticing Z28's in my area and I'm wondering what I loose (other than luxury of leather seats, etc.) from the Z28 to the SS (I'm guessing I'll get a lower rear diff. and not-as-good suspension). These cars have 46.6k Miles ($16,991) and 57,600k Miles ($16,995) is this reasonable? Also, how much would it cost me to get one of those nice SS hood scoops put on (from pain to installation)?

Thanks for taking the time.

Most Z28s also came with leather...and a functional SS hood is fairly cheap, under a thousand, check a sponsor. Performance wise there really is no difference. Go with the deal.
Old 07-06-2005 | 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
could be fun but that means it would have to pass CA smog... nuff said there other than the 20 billion tickets i'll get for doing 10mph over the speed limit all the way home (17 year old kid driving a decent sports car) lol. I'll see what I can come up with. Also, where can I find a good Ram Air for the SS hood? Thanks for the input, keep it comin!

Also, what happens when I get that 1-way ticket with money in-hand and find something wrong with the car once I drive it?
Here is how it works when buying sight unseen.

Ask the seller for tons of photos. If they aren't willing to take photos, then I wouldn't trust them anyways. Have them explain ANYTHING that is wrong with the car, even down to noticeable scratches or electrical things that do not work. Ask them their honest opinions about the condition of things, like shocks and suspension, tire life, engine strength, paint and body, interior, etc...

Then negotiate a price based on what they tell you. Have everything they tell you in writing.

Then send them a non-refundable deposit of about $1K or so. Make arrangements to fly out there to inspect the car and pay them the rest in person with cash or cashier's check. If you still owe them about $10K or so, write the check out for $8K and carry $2K cash just in case you find things wrong with the car that they didn't tell you about.

If you check the car out in person, and it is exactly as they stated, buy it for the price you two agreed on. IF they left out some very important problems or flaws, negotiate the price down a bit if required.

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2005 | 08:49 PM
Teching In

I bought my Z28 last year...It has about everything in it. Leather, t-top, 6spd, 5.7L, Monsoon 12 CD changer, cruise control...etc. I shopped close to where I live, and I paid a lot more than what you all probably paid. I paid $19k, but the car only had 22k miles on it, one more year on the warranty and it was garage kept during the winter.
Old 07-06-2005 | 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unique to SS:
*325 hp
*SS spoiler
*forced-air
*dual exhaust
*upgraded susp. syst.
*17x9" 10 spoke alum. painted
*275/40/ZR17 G/yr Eagle F1
*Oh yeah, and some ext. graphics

SLP options
*Aub. High Torque Diff. w/AAM...
*Bilstein Ultra Susp. Syst.
*17x9 Chrome 5 or 10 spoke
*SS floor mate
*1LE Susp...etc...
*Dash plaque/key fobs
*SS car cover
*Dual/dual or Dual/ctr. mnt
*SS grille
*BFG g-force tires
*SLP high flow air lid
Old 07-06-2005 | 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JJ2002
I bought my Z28 last year...It has about everything in it. Leather, t-top, 6spd, 5.7L, Monsoon 12 CD changer, cruise control...etc. I shopped close to where I live, and I paid a lot more than what you all probably paid. I paid $19k, but the car only had 22k miles on it, one more year on the warranty and it was garage kept during the winter.
I would happily put myself under payments for a sports car that only had 22K on it with warranty left in good condition.