New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General ???'s about my Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005 | 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Default General ???'s about my Z

Bought an '01 Z a couple months back, there have been a couple things I have wondered about.......

First off, did any of the Z's for that year come with round exhaust tips or were they all rectangular shaped? I'm not sure if mine is stock or not.......

What is the stock H.P. for this car?

Would it hurt to mix a little V.P. with 93 if I want to head to the track?

This is my first "modern" car....all the rest have had a basic 350 in it or something of that sort. I'm still trying to finish school and want to know about where I'm at with this car and a few minor things I can do to push a little more power. First thing I'd like to do is headers.......
Old 07-09-2005 | 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

if you have round exhaust tips then its an aftermarket exhaust or the owner before you put different tips on, and the horsepower rating for these cars is prolly around 310-315 stock, and i dont see how it could hurt to add alittle V.P. to 93 octane gas to give it more umph.
Old 07-09-2005 | 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Are those aftermarket headlights, or did you do something to the stock lights?
Old 07-09-2005 | 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

as far as i know, all z's came with flat tips. Does your car sound at all muscular? If so, then it prolly has at least an aftermarket cat-back. The horserpower for these cars is rated by gm at ~300, but in all actuality your car will make that much at the rear wheels STOCK. This was done mostly to make the car seem inferior to the vette for marketing reasons. The LS1 powerplant in your car is no different than that of an LS1 in a vette of the same year, and chevy rates the vettes at 340, which is about 300 rwhp. As far as fuel additives, i wouldn't worry about it, especially if you have 93 octane available! If anything try to remain as constant with the type of gas you use, because the the cars computer will slowly adapt to the fuel you use, and using additives can sometimes throw off what the computer thinks. 93 is plenty good, hell im stuck runnin on 91, cause thats all thats available! As far as mods go, headers are a great place to start. Definetly read JRP's newbie mod guide, and exhaust and induction guide which can be found as stickies at the top of this particular forum, the top of the "external engine" forum, and in his sig. (you can access his sig from clickin on his name when you see it listed on the left column under moderators on the home screen). How many miles does your car have?
Old 07-09-2005 | 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beast
Are those aftermarket headlights, or did you do something to the stock lights?
Those are aftermarket lights. They are called "Halo's". You can find them on ebay by searching for "Halo Camaro".
Old 07-09-2005 | 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

they are black halos, they are aftermarket headlights. got the old ones lying around the garage.
Old 07-09-2005 | 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

My Z has just over 42k.

Those headlights look great. I'm more into motor/performance mods than looks........but I'll def have to get a pair of those.

Thanks for all the advice so far, this site has been very helpful

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2005 | 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
add alittle V.P. to 93 octane gas to give it more umph.

inncorrect...

you will get LESS "umph"....

octane ratings are not power ratings... the higher octane your gas is, the slower it burns, you do not raise the octane to increase the power, you raise it to combat detonation... if you donot have detonation then all you are doing is slowing the rate at which you are burning your fuel, inturn creating less cylinder pressure...and less power....

leave your fuel alone... 93 octane is perfect
Old 07-09-2005 | 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

lol......
i just looked at vp web site.... i pulled this right from the FAQ's page...

Originally Posted by VP Race fuel's FAQ'S
How much Octane do I need?
Only enough to stop preignition and/or detonation. Remember there are other important factors in power output than just octane. Octane is not the measure of the fuel's power output, it is only a measure of its resistance to preignition and detonation in an octane engine
Old 07-09-2005 | 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

That's why the whole octane thing never meant much sense to me. I know it is harder to burn, but when looking at a Neon SRT4(don't laugh) mopar makes turbo upgrade kits which you can adjust depending on the type of fuel, they say something about a little more hp with 104. I dunno..........but I do like the way high oct smells
Old 07-09-2005 | 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Oh...one more question before I forget again.

How much would an '01 Z( M6, t-tops, monsoon, cloth, no power windows/doors) cost, average new from dealer? Just trying to figure out what the msrp was on my car.
Old 07-09-2005 | 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

turning up the boost is a perfect example of what you would use higher octane fuel for ...
when you turn the boost up you are increasing your potential for detonation, the higher octane fuel will stop this from happening.

it is not the fuel that is giving you more power, it is the added cylinder pressure being added by the increase in boost...
the fuel is just keeping you from blowing your **** up...