New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Best way to combat running lean after lid mod on 1999 TA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005 | 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Default Help...Best way to combat running lean after lid mod on 1999 TA?

Well i had my car checked today at my dealership on the Tech 2 and my air/fuel ratio is all messed up after installing my MTI lid and bellow...the mechanic told me the regular is 5.5 for the air ratio and im running an 8.8 ....well at least i know that mod worked, but a little too well ....my question is how should i combat this? Different fuel pump? Bigger injectors? adjustable regulator? I honestly have no clue but he said if i get into the 9.0 range that its going to set the check engine light which it hasnt done yet but i dont want to keep running it this lean....so any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks alot guys i know u got some good answers u always do.

Last edited by KannibaliztikTA; 08-01-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

are you running a k&n or some type of oiled air filter? If so you may have oil on your MAF. That will defanently make you run lean.
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Yes i am i just cleaned and oiled it too actually....so what do i need to do just take it all back apart, clean it, and get a regular filter?
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:52 PM
On The Tree

thanks for not helping guys
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KannibaliztikTA
thanks for not helping guys
Dude,calm down!Its been a whole 2hrs since you posted.Seeing posts like this will make people not want to help at all.

If you did over oil the K&N,you might have oil residue on your maf.You need to be careful and clean the maf wires.Some people use a q-tip with alcohol,some use electrical parts spray.

I'd start with that and see if it helps.If it doesnt I'd put the stock lid and bellows back on to see if the problem goes away.If it doesnt go away the problem is something besides the new lid/bellows.
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Dude,calm down!Its been a whole 2hrs since you posted.Seeing posts like this will make people not want to help at all.

If you did over oil the K&N,you might have oil residue on your maf.You need to be careful and clean the maf wires.Some people use a q-tip with alcohol,some use electrical parts spray.

I'd start with that and see if it helps.If it doesnt I'd put the stock lid and bellows back on to see if the problem goes away.If it doesnt go away the problem is something besides the new lid/bellows.

You need to get that oill off there, but don't mess up those tiny wires. You could spray it with some carb cleaner. B-12 ( Red White and Blue can)doesn't leave any oily residue and it will blast off that filter oil. If you still have the MAF screen on just leave it and spray through it
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:16 PM
On The Tree

i was just being sarcastic no pun intended really...i just bought a house and dont have the internet there until this friday so the only time i get to check these is when i run down to my parents or at work so its a little discouraging watching it fall lower and lower down the pile....but i apologize if u took it offensively....ill give that a try Rhino and hopefully all the oils sucked through the k&n by now....i went to O'Reilys and bought a Wix filter to replace it but the damn MTI lid wont close with the lip on the filter (bigger than the k&n)....i guess im stuck with a k&n for now.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2005 | 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would highly doubt that a new lid and bellows would make any difference to the A/F Ratio. Plus, I'm not sure what numbers the GM tech gave you. A good number in closed loop should be around 14.7 to 1 and around 12.5 to 13 to 1 at WOT.

I'd get rid of the K&N, the stock Fram paper filter flows as good as the K&N and you don't have the oilly mess. I run the Fram paper on my 01, but I do have a conical K&N on my 94. The 94 was running really crappy, so I cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner and it cured all the problems. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:25 PM
On The Tree

i will definately be cleaning out my MAF 2morrow and trying to find some kind of filter that fits under this lid....and the tech was checking around 1100 rpm's i think because i have a slight vibration at that rpm....he thinks its the harmonic balancer slipping the belt which doesnt sound right to me because if it was wouldnt it do it all the time? Thanks guys! Ill post back 2morrow after we clean it with some details or maybe my techs just a retard.
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Clean the MAF as these guys have said, and don't get rid of your K&N. Just take it out and use a towel to soak up the excess filter oil.

FWIW - I ran my K&N with a MAF for 10k miles with no issue.
Old 08-02-2005 | 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cleaning won't solve the problem. its the dynamics of the air flow compared to the stock lid. Only true solution is to do some maf tuning with software such as hptuners, efi live ect.
Old 08-02-2005 | 01:42 AM
TECH Junkie

A lid is not going to throw off your A/F.

Put a stock paper filter back in, carefully clean the MAF to be sure there's no oil residue, and have fun.
Old 08-02-2005 | 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The reason a lid makes no difference to the A/F ratio is that our cars have a Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) that measures the airflow. The computer uses this along with the O2 readings to determine how much fuel to put in the engine. So even if the new lid gives you more flow, the MAF and O2's will keep the A/F ratio at the correct point. Everyone is right here, get rid of the K&N and clean your MAF.
Old 08-02-2005 | 12:58 PM
On The Tree

well i got the an ACDelco filter in there now after a little cutting....still have to clean the MAF and ill be doing that tonight after work.....and thanks all you guys for your help, hopefully doing this will help it run a little smoother...i noticed last night that it almost feels like its missing now....probly plugs and wires though....im getting close to 60,000 miles on original plugs and wires so thats comming in the very near future too....probably when i do my next oil change at 60k....but thanks again guys.
Old 08-02-2005 | 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Remember to update us after you clean the MAF.
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

wow.... 15 replies and not a single person pointed out that the STEALERSHIP was using a NARROWBAND A/F (read useless peice of crap that wont tell you dick about your car)

right now he does not know if your car is running lean or rich, or perfect...
you need to get a WIDEband A/F reading...

you want you car to be right around 13 to 1 for N/A car...

it sounds like he gave you the voltage readings for your o2 bungs and there are ALOT of things that can change them....
running lean, running fat, clogged cat, no cat, temp change ect ect ect... all it really tells you that if you are somewhere between X and Y voltage it is close to normal...

yes you may have over oiled you k&n... thats not the filters fault, the k&n is a good filter...
it could also be you have a bad o2 bung... that would cause it to read wronge, run poorly, and in time throw a SES...

and stealerships are the LAST place you want you car serviced....
Old 08-03-2005 | 09:48 AM
On The Tree

lol i hear yea jaberwaki, but i work at a dealership so it was done for free....can u suggest any software or programmer that does this better?.....a couple guys mentioned HPTuner and EFI Live......so anyways, cleaned the MAF but didnt really notice any difference....i did see alot of bugs and crap on the maf screen because my lid popped up a couple times....but other than that no real difference in the numbers from before he said....and the more i hear from experienced people on here the more i realize that tech didnt know what he was talking about really.....but its a good thing i got that screen and the little wires cleaned off. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by KannibaliztikTA; 08-03-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2005 | 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

hp tuners is fantastic for tuning your car....
for A/F however you need a wideband setup... i know lm-1 is popular, so is wideband commander... both are stand alone units....

i will look into it, but i also think hp tuners has an add on to go with there tuning software...
Old 08-07-2005 | 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

before i got my car tuned i was running lean at WOT, i had quite a bit of induction work but i couldnt really understand why it would, cause like some of the guys on here said-the maf is suppose to compensate for the extra air right? in theory yes but in my case no, i have a ftra, mti lid, an shaner s3-my buddy recalibrated my maf to make good use out of all the extra air, an now my car runs strong as ever-could a lid throw off the a/f? possibly, i'd do what jaberwaki said an get a wideband scan-