New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First or Second car?; ws6 difference?; how much cost to run 11s-12s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First or Second car?

hey people, i have been on this board for about a month now, and been asking questions around, well here another, I am 15 atm and will be 16 in jan. i have been saveing for about the last three years and have about 8-9k. I am looking into a 99-00 trans am. And i wanted to know what your frist or second cars were. I am probly gonna mod my to run about 11.8-12.3 on street tires and keep as a dd hopefully. My dad is gonna fund the rest of the car with my 9k added. And now that i have a okay job, 13 dollars an hour hopefully by the summer of 06 or mid 07 i can run the times i want? shouldn't cost me more than 4-6k for 11s-12s right? oh btw i choose these f-bodys over a bunch of other cars, includeing the cobras(99-02) can't afford the 03-04s. (was on a mustang fourm for about 3-4 months.)

Oh whats the differance between a ws6 and a regular trans am if any, also how easy is to place a ws6 hood on a regular trans am, or should i just look for a dam ws6?

Last edited by OverLord; 10-04-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OverLord
hey people, i have been on this board for about a month now, and been asking questions around, well here another, I am 15 atm and will be 16 in jan. i have been saveing for about the last three years and have about 8-9k. I am looking into a 99-00 trans am. And i wanted to know what your frist or second cars were. I am probly gonna mod my to run about 11.8-12.3 on street tires and keep as a dd hopefully. My dad is gonna fund the rest of the car with my 9k added. And now that i have a okay job, 13 dollars an hour hopefully by the summer of 06 or mid 07 i can run the times i want? shouldn't cost me more than 4-6k for 11s-12s right? oh btw i choose these f-bodys over a bunch of other cars, includeing the cobras(99-02) can't afford the 03-04s. (was on a mustang fourm for about 3-4 months.)

Oh whats the differance between a ws6 and a regular trans am if any, also how easy is to place a ws6 hood on a regular trans am, or should i just look for a dam ws6?
$13/hr @ 15yrs old!? Where you live? that's almost $2 more/hr then I make and I'm 28.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well first of all 9k is enough to get you a damn nice TA as for the diff between TA and WS6 its really just a hood and some suspension goodies not enough to justify spending too much extra on. When you are looking for cars make sure you check out what kind of gears it has because they are not all the same. Look on the door for the RPO code, if you want the bigger gears I believe the code it like GU4 or GU8, I got stuck with some 273s but the price was right
Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow! My first car was an '82 Chevy Citation . Both my first and second cars can be found here: http://www.scottsrides.com/scotts_old_rides.html
Old 10-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Launching!

lucky ****, im turnin 16 on halloween of this year, and i have to pay for every cent of my car, thus why im stuck with a 1999 firebird v6 w68 sure will be nice seeing the look on v8 drivers faces when i blow by them in the future tho
Old 10-05-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by redfbird99
sure will be nice seeing the look on v8 drivers faces when i blow by them in the future tho
Old 10-05-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I read posts like these I shudder in fear. Mostly because I remember how I was when I was that age. I think a powerful car like a trans am is not a good first car, specially for a teenage boy. At 15-16 we take stupid risks and it doesn't matter how smart or responsible the teen is in my opinion. I graduated highschool with a regents diploma and a 98 average and held down two jobs and I still raced my car on the street.
Now that I am married and a father I think about how much I endangered other people when I acted recklessly.
Another thing that concerns me with this post is the liberal use of et's ala Fast and the Furious. A 12 second car is a seriously quick car, not for the light hearted and much less for the inexperienced. An 11 second street car is downright criminal in the wrong hands.
However I must commend Overlord on his diligence and discipline for holding a great paying job down and saving money to boot.
Good luck and be careful, please.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I think an ls1 might be a little much for the unexperianced driver. Im not saying you immature and will automaticly crash, but I do think its not an appropriate first car. My first car was a ford festiva and second was the all mighty dodge shadow. I couldnt get that car to die. I hated it sooo bad. Now I miss it. But hell if you got the money for the car you want then I guess you deserve it. Good luck
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

I drove an '89 Camry for 6 months until I managed to push out a head gasket and do something goofy to the tranny. Now I drive my '69 Camaro everyday, but am looking to sell it and get a WS6. So good choice, but for sure be careful until you get a good handle on the power. The posi will surprise you sometimes an kick you all over the place if you're not careful.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

yea i have been practicing on my uncels 03 and 05 cobras-shelby. Also i work at the hospital, they start you at 11 dollars an hour after doing 6 months of free work. Worth it if you ask me. I know siting behind a dam 300+ hp monster is kinda a alot of the avgerage 16 year old, hopefully i won't crash it, lol for about the frist 3-5 months of me haveing the car i probly won't even take it out of third gear. And no street raceing for me(hopefully) maybe a couple of burnouts here and there.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

As long as you respect the car and dont overestimate your driving ability you will be fine. I think you will be alot more motivated to be careful if your driving a nice car rather than some POS you could care less about cracking a guard rail with or something like that. I know I took risks in my oldsmobile I would never even consider taking in my formula
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

yea i have been practicing on my uncels 03 and 05 cobras-shelby
hmmm what does practicing in a high hp car mean?
I know siting behind a dam 300+ hp monster is kinda a alot of the avgerage 16 year old, hopefully i won't crash it
You mean the real concern is that you won't kill someone else or yourself, the car is a piece of metal that can be replaced, a person however can not be replaced.
lol for about the frist 3-5 months of me haveing the car i probly won't even take it out of third gear Yeah right.........
And no street raceing for me(hopefully) maybe a couple of burnouts here and there and if anyone believes this last statement I want you to know I have a bridge for sale...

Overlord it seems like you have your priorities somewhat straight since you seem to have a good job and money saved up. However some of your priorities are a little misdirected due to your age. We have all been your age at some point and were the same. Maybe your money will be better spent on funding your college education or something long term, ie business venture, purchase of a home etc etc.
I know you want a cool fast car now to show off to your buds and girls, but believe me when I tell you if you graduate from college when your 22, assuming a BS degree, life does actually go on. You will still be able to have a nice car and party with your friends.
My advice is for you to get a nice average horsepower vehicle to cut your teeth on and concentrate on the more important aspects of your life at this time.
It will also help your dad out in the sense that if something major happens were you to get the trans am he won't have to sell his house to pay for your f*ck up.

Last edited by 30thanniv; 10-05-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Launching!

I'm really glad I didn't have a car that powerful when I was 16

Hell, I'm 21 and this car is almost too powerful for me!

Be safe
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

My first car was a 74 Gran Torino (Think Starsky and Hutch), with a 302 2bbl that drank more oil than gas, even with it's puny 120 hp, I still raced anything and everything, topped out the speedo racing a Benz (didn't have enough sense to know that the front end floating all over the road was a big sign to slow the hell down)
My second car (79 Z28 383 4 bbl) was the one I almost died in, hitting a deer @120 mph is not a good thing for ones health, nor the health of the car, I was in the hospital for 6 months with multiple severe injuries (any one of which could have been fatal), plus another year of physical therapy to get back to where I could walk.
The point of this little novel is to show you how fast things can go from rosey to complete ****, when you're a teenager with a fast/powerful car.
I know I'm damn sure not buying my kid a car with more than 300 hp for their first ride.
If you do end up with the LS1, respect it, cause if you don't, it can and will bite you in the ***
Good luck and stay safe
BTW I said the same things about not racing, and being careful, but @ 16 you still think you're immortal
Old 10-05-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

What did the deer look like and how far did it fly ?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

wow man ouch, all this **** is makeing rethink alot, lol i almost did a sreach on used civic for a second.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luna
What did the deer look like and how far did it fly ?
Wasn't alot left, of the deer (or the car), they found the drivers front wheel ACROSS the highway (4 lane) up in a tree

Overlord, I'm not saying this will happen to you if you get an LS1, I'm just trying to illustrate what can happen when you're a young guy with a fast car, a feeling of immortality, a very keen competetive drive, and a heavy right foot.
I don't know you, for all I know you are one of those rare teenage guys that's actually responsible behind the wheel, but, if you're anything like I was when I was your age, you (and your dad) might want to think twice about a 300+ hp car for your first ride, besides if you did wreck it you'd be pretty bummed, now if you wreck a camry (or something similar) who cares they're basically disposable cars anyway. If you wreck an Fbody, you destroy a piece of history
Old 10-05-2005, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

hmm well i am pertty good driver, i start driveing when i was 9 in india which has the worst trafic, (people walking out of no where) but it sure wasn't a 300+ hp, well if i do change my mind what car would you recamend, that i can afford and still have some power to it, RSX?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

I'd get a 3rd gen, not as fast as an LS1, cheaper insurance, looks good, decent power, a 350 L98 has 245 hp, and an auto, the 305 has 215 hp, and a 5 speed (thats for the later model years 90-92)
Plus they are an SBC, so the mods (if you want to do them) are usually cheaper (at least a little bit)
Old 10-05-2005, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

hmm i wouldn't realy buy a car more 5-10 years old to much to repair on those. Maybe a 95-97