New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone regret their transmission choice? (NOT a A4 vs. M6 thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man there is alot of arguable material in this thread

but what on thing that si 100% true there is no denying it, is a stalled auto *IS* faster than an m6 in a drag, im sorry to say, but that being said, i would not trade my m6 up to an auto for anything, auto's are just too lazy for my tastes.and theres just something about a manual car that makes ti feel faster than an auto(stalled or not) weather it is or not *shrugs*
Old 10-24-2005, 11:28 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'd rather drive a 15 second t56 then a 10 second 4l60e, but thats just me
Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
Old 10-25-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my M6, traffic doesn't bother me. I love being in complete control. I've never been to the track so I don't care for an auto. Driving thru mountain roads and ones that seem like an auto x course are eleventy billion time more fun in a M6. Rowin' thur the gears is awesome, theres nothing like it!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Default I tried both

I wanted a auto but tried a M6 and that sold me. RedWS601 is that an aftermarket fixed headlight kit?? A while back I remember seeing a T/A that had fixed headlights in a Motor Trend book, they were limited editions but I cant remember the name....can anyone help me out?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't change my trans. for a damn thing. I like having complete control over my car. Better gas mileage b/c I can skip gears (1-4, 3-5,4-6) I can also cruise in whatever gear I want. Hell I can do 40 in 6th gear w/o a problem if I wanted to. Can't beat the manual when racing from a roll either. When your messing around on the back roads, it just feel much better when the Tops are off, windows down, just listening to the engine/exhaust to be shifting. The clutch in traffic doesn't bother me at all.

A4's might have their advantages at the track, but nothing beats an M6 in terms of just making the car so much more fun to drive.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

hell, i love my auto. people always tell me it shifts as hard as a manual, and it never misses a shift in a race, or even in regular driving!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
Sure you would I have driven a few very slow vehicles with manual trannys and there is absolutely nothing fun about shifting yourself when it takes an eternity to reach the next shift point and your moving at a snails pace. That kinda negates the "fun" factor and turns it into a "more work" factor

But I know what your saying
Old 10-25-2005, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by natronathon
hell, i love my auto. people always tell me it shifts as hard as a manual, and it never misses a shift in a race, or even in regular driving!
Get a torque converter and see how much more fun it is. The first time I dead hooked at the track with a 2.5 STR was an eye opening experience. I was leaning forward slightly as I brake stalled to 2000 rpm's. On green I just floored it (on heated Nittos) and I was pinned back in my seat rather violently. I think it would have taken a crow bar to pry the smile off my face

What amazes me is that some manual guys think autos can't be fun for anyone. And for some people it's true enough. But for me (and I can't be the only one) a high stalled, high str auto can put big smiles on my face at the strip as well as on the street. I may not be much of a threat on a highway but put me at a red light and I'm right at home when it goes green

Unless there are police around, then I'm slower then a grandma in a beatup buick.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Darren, I know plenty about track times and drag racing with a manual. I was the first LS1 owner in the country to run 11s on motor with a 6-speed. That was in '99. Back then, there were only 5 of us in the country running 11s. I was the only 6-speed at the time. I never said it was easy to do, just a little more expensive due to the weak rearend and clutch issues we had back then.

Like I said, you can run quicker for less money with an A4, at least until you go low 11s and into the 10s. Then that $2000 rearend in the M6 car is offset by the $2000 4L60e rebuild in an A4 car. A stock T56 can run low 10s no problem.

But, just to humor me, what does YOUR auto car run at the track? 12s I'd guess by your sig. My showroom stock '99 SS went 12.8 @ 104, with me driving it. How many bone stock (yes, even the tires, and no weight removed) A4s have run 12s? None that I can remember.

I'm not saying everyone will see the same results with their M6, but you have to at least admit that a good driver CAN run right along with an A4.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bird396
I wanted a auto but tried a M6 and that sold me. RedWS601 is that an aftermarket fixed headlight kit?? A while back I remember seeing a T/A that had fixed headlights in a Motor Trend book, they were limited editions but I cant remember the name....can anyone help me out?

Yes it is an aftermarket fixed headlight fix from Breathlessperformance.com
. I never heard of the motor trend issue but go on their website pretty sure they have a database.

Back to the topic: An M6 feels better to me because it is the feeling just knowing your are shifting the car, you know powershifting to 120 MPH! An automatic tranny is like a luxury option to me kinda similar to memory seating, nice but very unnecessary. I know I am going to get flamed but an manual tranny is what a true fast car should have always.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Darren, I know plenty about track times and drag racing with a manual. I was the first LS1 owner in the country to run 11s on motor with a 6-speed. That was in '99. Back then, there were only 5 of us in the country running 11s. I was the only 6-speed at the time. I never said it was easy to do, just a little more expensive due to the weak rearend and clutch issues we had back then.

Like I said, you can run quicker for less money with an A4, at least until you go low 11s and into the 10s. Then that $2000 rearend in the M6 car is offset by the $2000 4L60e rebuild in an A4 car. A stock T56 can run low 10s no problem.

But, just to humor me, what does YOUR auto car run at the track? 12s I'd guess by your sig. My showroom stock '99 SS went 12.8 @ 104, with me driving it. How many bone stock (yes, even the tires, and no weight removed) A4s have run 12s? None that I can remember.

I'm not saying everyone will see the same results with their M6, but you have to at least admit that a good driver CAN run right along with an A4.
No one is arguing stock for stock. But put a good torque converter/gear combo on an auto and any advantage the M6 used to have is now negated and then some.

You can't argue the facts. TH400/TH350 and Powerglide automatics are ruling the drag strip. They are definately ruling ls1techs ET database. Can you go fast in a M6? Of course. There are plenty running single digits. Can you run quicker in a auto? That's a big yes.

Sorry nineball. I respect your cars but you clearly have no respect for mine (or anyone elses with an auto for that matter). But I tell you what. When a true manual transmission LS1 gets into the 7's and breaks the ET record then I will retract all these statements. On that day I will bow down to the almighty power of the shifter and clutch. I will on that day start making plans to dump my TH400 plans and jump onto the M6 band wagon.

Yeah, I know I'm being a bit sarcastic but this topic always touches a nerve with me. The problem is auto guys like myself have to accept the fact that manuals dyno better due to less drivetrain HP loss. Auto guys like myself have to accept the fact that manuals are better for highway races (which is stupid to do IMO anyway). Auto guys like myself have to accept the fact that manuals are better for road courses. Auto guys like myself have to accept the fact that manuals get better gas mileage.

And all that is ok because autos are by far the superior setup for drag racing. Then someone like you comes along in a thread like this and wants to take that away. Sorry but that's just not gonna fly. Not with me and certainly not with guys like Joe Overton and Ronnie Duke.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna jump back in this one...........

I was able to drive the hell outta my M6 car, had tons of fun from stoplights and on the highway, love the feel of an M6 thru the turns, feels killer while banging gears, blah blah, etc etc.

I drove a stalled auto, and sold the M6 to get an A4......
Old 10-28-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm happy with my a4 and plan to upgrade to a bigger stall and possibly a bigger cam in the future. I do plan on getting a manual on my next performance car that i buy.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The reason why I got the A4 was because I had friends thinking that autos are slow. Their minds have changed now. I remember when Tony went 10s with his formula. The Cannibal he called it. I also remember when he twisted his driveshaft in 2 Damn that was a long time ago. I still have 2 videos of his running 10s against S.A.M.'s Camaro that did 9s and GeorgeC's Z that did low 10s.

Oh I plan on getting an M6 too, that will be reserved for the T/A

Last edited by Roarin_8; 10-28-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Tony's old Formula "Cannibal"
Old 10-29-2005, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

A4 here and I'm happy with it. Near perfect launch everytime, never miss a shift, don't break 10bolts as easily, no pain in stop and go.

Only times I sometimes wish I had an M6 is on the highway (Which is rarely) but I think it'd be nice to cruise 90mph @ 2000 rpm... Maybe when I'm old and I "Cruise" instead of "Drive" I'll go ahead an get an M6 SS.

Until then though, I'll keep my A4 with much love. Even more comming soon, the stall's sitting in my room
Old 10-29-2005, 01:58 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Well, I am still looking for my first f-body, so I cant speak from personal experiance. But... My fathers had many brand new and a few used f-bodies in his day.

1970 green brand new 4-speed
1986 red/gold iroc brand new auto
1986 black/silver iroc used auto
1992 teal rs auto
1992 black rose c4 auto
1993 black brand new z28 six speed( nearly totaled it dui three days after he picked it up from the show room )
1998 red z28 a4 ( traded it in on a 99 in two months, hated the auto )
1999 red ss m6
1999 red c5 m6

Granted thats a long time span, he loved the six speed in his 1993 z, thats what really got him hooked on a die-hard maunal fan, up till then he liked them, but not as much as he does now-a-days. He hated his 98 a4 with a passion, for one they sound horrible, nothings more disgusting thn a a4 ( stock ) shifting into second ( grrrrrrrr unnn rrrr ) in my humble opinion. He finaly stoped paying child support after 18 years on my older half brothers and sisters, and ran out and bought himself a brand new ss, m6, put 60k on it then traded it off for a m6 c5 corvette ( hardtop, prety slick car )

But alast my dads now 55 years old, married for the 5th time and drives a 1993 chevy dualie desile around... I guess everyones gotta grow up sometime..

( ps if anyone doubts that my father has owned that many camaro's and vettes, I have pictures, film, of them all, that if need be I could scan and host for you..... )
Old 10-29-2005, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Azhigher
A4 here and I'm happy with it. Near perfect launch everytime, never miss a shift, don't break 10bolts as easily, no pain in stop and go.

Only times I sometimes wish I had an M6 is on the highway (Which is rarely) but I think it'd be nice to cruise 90mph @ 2000 rpm... Maybe when I'm old and I "Cruise" instead of "Drive" I'll go ahead an get an M6 SS.

Until then though, I'll keep my A4 with much love. Even more comming soon, the stall's sitting in my room
What stall you go with?

I got the TCI 3500/2.5 STR and man does this stall kick a$$. After headers and a tune this car pulls like there is no tomarrow (at least compared to before). On heated Nittos my stall launches soo hard it pins me back in my seat as if to say "here we go so hold on for your life" . I can't wait to hit the track tomarrow and get some new times.

When my kids are all out of college I'll get myself a M6 Vette for having fun on city streets. Manuals are wicked fun to drive (used to own a few). But ever since I drove a stalled auto I knew I would always have an auto for the strip. I hope to eventually build this Formula up with a TH400, 4000 stall, N20, big heads/cam, 12 bolt, ect. Then the M6 can pull the trailer carrying the real car

J/K

I love em all. Spend a Saturday doing a road course with the manual and Sunday draging the auto is just about my idea of heaven. That and being married to a super hot blonde Nymphomanic that owns a liquor store

Good luck with your converter. As long as it's at least a 3000 stall, you're going to have a LOT of fun.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I settled for my 99 A4 because it was the right price in great condition. I wish I had kept looking for a M6, its so much more fun and the gas mileage is so much better. Don't know if its been mentioned, but there is the autobahn factor of the M6. If you live in Montana or Kansas where the roads are straight enough to go 100+mph, the M6 is so much better.

Quick Reply: Does anyone regret their transmission choice? (NOT a A4 vs. M6 thread)