New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Vette or Snake Which would you buy?
Vette
78.97%
Cobra
21.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

03/04 Cobra or 01-04 z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turbo'd 06' GTO all the way.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_Rock
I would go Vette for the simple fact that a mustang has to put a supercharger on their motor to make it fast.
A fast car is a fast car. It doesn't matter how power is made? Oh I would go 03/04 cobra for the simple fact that LSx cars have to have a BIG engine to be fast
Old 10-30-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
A fast car is a fast car. It doesn't matter how power is made? Oh I would go 03/04 cobra for the simple fact that LSx cars have to have a BIG engine to be fast
i sense

sure you don't drive a honda with 100hp/L?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Although you right that speed is speed, there is something cool about being able to beat an F/I car while naturally aspirated. I was thinking about putting my car on the bottle but changed my mind and decided to save for heads. I love the thought of running low 11s, maybe high 10s with the right setup in a naturally aspirated stock bottom end street car.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh your right Power is Power but take that Supercharger off that cobra and see who wins a race. Or leave it on, Put the same equivalence Supercharger on the ZO6 and See who wins the Race.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Two differnt cars. If your going to street racing, go for the vette. Handles better, looks better, and sounds amazing. My friend has an 04 with a Titanium corsa catback on it, with not cats, and ahhhh music to your ears. About the whole price issue, cobra's by no means are cheap. They run right around the cost of a an 01/02 ZO6, atleast around here. Modding as well, the cobra's are again by no means cheap to odd. A whipple is what, $3000+ all the other things (injectors, fuel pumps, etc). Go for the vette.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Zee Oh Sixxx

There's really no other choice. Yes the Cobra can make crazy dyno numbers but it's really hard to get past the curb weight. I'll take a 3100 lb Z06 over an 03/04 cobra any day.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The way i see it is GM > ford, therefore Z06 > Cobra. The z06 is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sexy!!! I'd love to own one and supercharge it. or put an STS Turbo kit or something. Then you have a car that looks good and hauls ***!!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

I would definately go Z06. I have really close friend who has been a mustang guy since he could drive but recently bought an 02 Z06 and swears its the best thing that ever happened to him. He had and 02 saleen 2v and traded that for a 03 Sonic Blue car with full bolt ons and a whipple 2.3 on 17lbs. and a 8.8 solid rearend. His cobra was fast no doubt at about 575rwhp but he actually ran faster times with his bolt on Z06 with around 395 rwhp. He actually takes pride in killing cobras every time he gets a chance. I would say he has beaten over 5 pullied cars in the last 6 months that are making around 75-100 more hp than his Z06, not to mention the handling and looks that surround him in the Z06. Ill get him to sign up on here to and share some stories.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by D_Rock
Oh your right Power is Power but take that Supercharger off that cobra and see who wins a race. Or leave it on, Put the same equivalence Supercharger on the ZO6 and See who wins the Race.
Ive watched way to many pullied 450+ cobra get destroyed by bolt on Z06's, there is no argument in my opinion. An 02+ Z06 with bolt-ons will kill pullied cobras, ...supercharger.... who needs a supercharger, all you need is someone capable of shifting a manual tranny and a willing cobra driver to try his luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you are going to go FI on a Vette I say:

Old 10-31-2006, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

Posting a picture of the Cobra is hardly creating a convincing argument. The Vette is going to win a beauty contest hands down. I bet 4 of 5 people (average joes and not mustang owners/stangnet members) would agree
Old 10-31-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by darrensls1

Posting a picture of the Cobra is hardly creating a convincing argument. The Vette is going to win a beauty contest hands down. I bet 4 of 5 people (average joes and not mustang owners/stangnet members) would agree
I think beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think a regular C5 coupe looks way better than a C5 z06. The C5 is a fine car, but it has a massive flabby **** and a fussy nose.

The Cobra may well resemble a Mustang GT (can't think why ) but it certainly looks more "bad ***" than the Vette. Much more muscle car.

So it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

BTW - I said Cobra unless you FI the Vette. I like Ls1 (espcially the sound - OHV rules!!!). But if you have an auto Vette you'll need a built tranny and to make some serious power you'll need a built engine. That all costs $$$$.

With relatively few mods and a blower swap a Terminator will see over 600rwhp reliably.

If you want handling = Vette
If you want 4 seats = Cobra
If you want ~400rwhp = either
If you want 600rwhp = Cobra
If you want ~800rwhp+ = either
Old 10-31-2006, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I think beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.
Well that goes without saying. But we are talking about a Corvette. And like Bill paxton said to Governor Arnold:

"The Vette gets em wet"

You go to any mall in america and pick 100 random people. I'm talking old, young, inbetween, male, female and children alike. Then you show those 100 people the picture of the red Cobra and then another picture of a red Z06. Then ask them which car they think looks better.

I'm willing to bet at least 80 people pick the Vette. That is one beauty contest the Cobra just can't win.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Well that goes without saying. But we are talking about a Corvette. And like Bill paxton said to Governor Arnold:

"The Vette gets em wet"
Yeah but that was a gorgeous '58. And lets face it, it looked better than 90% of all cars produced since then.

You go to any mall in america and pick 100 random people. I'm talking old, young, inbetween, male, female and children alike. Then you show those 100 people the picture of the red Cobra and then another picture of a red Z06. Then ask them which car they think looks better.

I'm willing to bet at least 80 people pick the Vette. That is one beauty contest the Cobra just can't win.
This maybe true but then again I don't know. And how many claim the Vette just because its a Vette and more expensive.

It would be like taking a popular supermodel and the cute cashier from the grocery store and asking the same question. The more well known model will almost certainly recieve more results, but it doesn't mean they are prettier.

And, personally I'd only ever consider one persons view on which is better looking and that's my own. I couldn't give a chuff what others think.

But that's the beauty, of beauty.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with darrensls1. I on the other hand would choose the cobra though. I love the sound of mustangs + 03/04 cobras look badass. Its the only mustang I would own and a Mach1

Last edited by SSmokin99; 10-31-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

This maybe true but then again I don't know. And how many claim the Vette just because its a Vette and more expensive.
Exactly the point, it's a Vette. You can argue mods, you can argue sound, you can argue forged internals and you can even argue cost. But trying to argue looks is a losing battle because "It's a Vette dude!"

It would be like taking a popular supermodel and the cute cashier from the grocery store and asking the same question. The more well known model will almost certainly recieve more results, but it doesn't mean they are prettier.
Excellent analogy. But how about this one. The Vette is like a Playboy centerfold that looks sexy, exotic, young and unmolested . The Cobra looks like a **** star that has been in over a thousand films and is ready to be used and abused some more. You still wouldn't mind taken either of them for a ride but the desire to pop the centerfolds clutch is just a tad more appealing

And, personally I'd only ever consider one persons view on which is better looking and that's my own. I couldn't give a chuff what others think.
That is all fine and dany except for one thing. This isn't your thread. Someone else started this thread and was interested in others opinion on the two vehicles. Although he was asking about handling/performance rather then looks. But then again I havn't posted any pictures.

But that's the beauty, of beauty.
That is deep. Let me take a moment to catch my breath as the pure poetry has me a bit choked up.

Ok I'm over it
Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Old 10-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Launching!

I would get the C5Z06. I think that the Cobra's are nice looking cars as well. However, as many others have mentioned, if you plan on tracking the car (No dragging it), I would rather have a N/A car that handles better. I guess I am bias towards the Corvettes as always have been.

JG853
1996 Grand Sport
2002 LG Z06
2007 Z06 (Ordered and awaiting delivery)
Old 10-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

I think beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think a regular C5 coupe looks way better than a C5 z06. The C5 is a fine car, but it has a massive flabby **** and a fussy nose.

The Cobra may well resemble a Mustang GT (can't think why ) but it certainly looks more "bad ***" than the Vette. Much more muscle car.

So it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

BTW - I said Cobra unless you FI the Vette. I like Ls1 (espcially the sound - OHV rules!!!). But if you have an auto Vette you'll need a built tranny and to make some serious power you'll need a built engine. That all costs $$$$.

With relatively few mods and a blower swap a Terminator will see over 600rwhp reliably.

If you want handling = Vette
If you want 4 seats = Cobra
If you want ~400rwhp = either
If you want 600rwhp = Cobra
If you want ~800rwhp+ = either
First of all, cobras aren't reliable with thier 390hp rating. A 600 rwhp is what I like to call a time bomb. 2v or 4v those mod motors are heaps of sh't. If only you knew... If only you knew...