New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what car cover would u suggest? or any tips for outdoor parking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what car cover would u suggest? or any tips for outdoor parking?

hi to all the fine people of ls1! i wanna get some tips and advice if u dont mind. here it is: i just got a nice apartment in san diego the other day with no garage! i have to park her in the assigned parking lot and its got no shade! i really wanna protect my 98 t/a from sun, dust, heat, rain and all elements possible, and also from other cars doors hitting my car. i basically want something as good as what a garage can do as far as keeping my car protected etc. what should i do? can u recommend an excellent car cover? or anything? thanks people.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,194 Posts

First off, nothing is as good as a garage.

If you want a really good cover though, www.covercraft.com makes some of the best. Lots of options to choose from.

I have their Dusttop series cover, and I love it. Perfect custom fit and it holds up year after year after year. But that's designed for indoor storage. You'll need to check out the outdoor options.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you rent a storage bay for your car in the area? Nothing is as good as a garage. You won't regret spending the extra money
Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Got a outdoor cover from covercraft. My advise, get a garage/storage.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Launching!

if you just put a cover on chances are you will have some paint damage from wind blowing the cover and rubbing the paint off. find indoor storage if possible. otherwise i agree with covercraft
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live in San Diego(Chula Vista) myself and also have the bad luck of living in an apartment without a garage.

I really don't like the idea of taking a car cover on and off everyday, it's really not a good idea unless you wash the car everyday before you put your cover on otherwise your going to scratch the hell out of your paint. Not only that but the cover will be dirty as well from always being outside

The weather here in San Diego is pretty mild compared to other places I have lived, the only thing we really have to worry about IMO is the fact that we have too much damn sun and that dust likes to settle on the condensation that forms during the night which makes our cars dirty. I wash my car once or twice a week and polish/wax it once a month, it's held up very very well thus far. Just keep your car as clean as possible and take care of your paint, that'll go a long way in preserving it's condition.

Nothing you can really do about door dings in your parking space, I'm lucky enough to have an end spot and the person who owns the only assigned space next to me doesn't use his space. But since you do have assigned parking in your complex at least you'll know who go after if they f*ck up your car.

I'm moving out soon to get a house, sick and tired of having no garage

Last edited by 4150; 11-16-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

how much would a garage cost me to rent?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

i also hear about this car cover that protects and absorbs dent. (currently m using "barrier cover" from wal-mart 60 bucks. i cover and uncover almost everyday)
Old 11-20-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Covers suck - Even good ones can damage the paint in extreme weather conditions. I would drop the $80 a month for storage or just leave it outside with the cover off if you don't have the cash. Sometimes you can find people with large garages / barns that will cut you a good deal to store it there. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree i think car covers suck unless u cover it in a garage to keep the dust off it
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Yea I use moving blankets, there great cause the have some padding. Theres a guy like 3 houses down from me here in AZ that has a 04 GTO and has a cover on it all week and takes it off on the weekend.

Mines in the garage tho.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I covered a bike for years and wind wiggled the cover enough to rub the paint off all the corners. It was fit as tight as possible too.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
First off, nothing is as good as a garage.

If you want a really good cover though, www.covercraft.com makes some of the best. Lots of options to choose from.

I have their Dusttop series cover, and I love it. Perfect custom fit and it holds up year after year after year. But that's designed for indoor storage. You'll need to check out the outdoor options.
I agree about Covercraft. They are great quality and a true custom fit that is perfect which makes it much easier to put on and take off. I also use the Dusttop version, but the car is stored 24/7 unless I'm driving it.

I know they make some great outdoor covers as well, check out their website.