New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did cop cars have LSx???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would buy a car used in law enforcement.

They get regular oil changes, with crappy oil. That's about it.

For the record, LT1 Police Camaros do not like jumping 6" medians at 25mph. But they are capable.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually cop trim is based by area. Living in bumf$ck you aren't going to have expensive add-ons, living in the city you might have one that barely has anything because they just use it in the highway and leave the Crown Vics with the heavy stuff.

If you have a cop with a vest in the trunk and trauma plating (on the vest) along with other basic supplies that will add weight. Hell you walk around with 90# of gear in the military.

Who knows what a cop has in the car. Different cars, different people, not all LS1 4th geners have exhaust or intake done.

The Crown Victs out in podunk Texas (where I used to live) had thousands of dollars worth of crap in their cars. Dual search lights, horns, shot guns (meth labs) etc, etc.

Oh yeah, one has shovels too, apparently to scrap up road kill and then put it in a big plastic yellow bag. That was funny to watch... heh, heh...

He was pissed because animal control refused to wake up in the middle of the night and play clean-up. Big *** deer or whatever in the middle of the highway.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would buy a car used in law enforcement.
Uhh... COST. In 2004 I got a '00 B4C for about $4600 at the Colorado HWY Patrol auction. Rebuilt the tranny and replaced the carrier bearings and it's been a perfect car ever since. Had 93K miles on it then, 120K now and still running strong.
13.25 ET with just an air lid on street tires.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TWS
Uhh... COST. In 2004 I got a '00 B4C for about $4600 at the Colorado HWY Patrol auction. Rebuilt the tranny and replaced the carrier bearings and it's been a perfect car ever since. Had 93K miles on it then, 120K now and still running strong.
13.25 ET with just an air lid on street tires.
I'll give you that one. And with a rebuilt trans and the other stuff, sounds like you got a good deal. Good luck with it.

A lot of times it isn't only the weight leading to poor performance. Remember also every one of those cars spends more time (Yes time, not distance), above 3,000rpm than it does below (and that's almost literal!) And when driven to the edge for so long, they do lose power, tranny shifts slower or not at all, etc. However with today's cars, they run longer and stronger, even with the abuses of law enforcement. I'd be interested to see how an Accord/Altima takes the same abuse.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Launching!

ok well i was at purdue west layfette one night at a party and i seen a black t/a pull someone over has anyone ever heard of that? cuz i swear to god it was one looked bout like a 99-01 body style
Old 12-05-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Certainly believable, the county I used to live in had a couple of IROC-Z's back in the day. Stuff like that usually comes from property seizures/drug busts.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

anyone from Indiana will laugh pretty hard at this story...
When I was 19 I had no idea that IN 65 was one of the most heavily patrolled interstates in the country. This would have been nice to know. Then I found myself going 100MPH on IN65 headed north. I happened to see a yellow Mustang with someone pulled over. Looked completly stock if you were to drive by it. No rack on top, no extra antennas or search lights. The cherry lights were hidden in the grill. Bad news. So I slowed down just in time to pass by a MARKED crusier at 90MPH! He was wasting no time, and flipped through the median chasing after me. I was already sitting on 3 tickets in IL on a one shot deal (no proof of insurance, speeding 85 in a 65, and expired plates), so I figured I had nothing to lose. going 90 or 95, I was going to jail anyway, so I sped up to over 100 (the spedomoter on my 97 GEO PRIZM, yes geo prizm only went up to 100) and took the first exit I saw. My engine was screaming, well as much as a small 4 banger can, but they were not designed for what I was putting it through. Luckily, I had enough of a lead that the cop never saw me take the exit (if he had been anywhere close to me, I would have been dead... I don't even need to suggest what a geo prizm VS an interceptor...), but he did however see me up on the frontage road, and turned around again to chase me. Now I figured I was a goner, so I just kept driving through the country. Just happened where I was driving was all farm land and it is early June, so there is no cover from the corn, and I am afraid this car is going to give out on me any minute... Well, I just kept turning here and there till I was totally lost. To make a long story a little shorter, the cop never found me. And that was the day I outran a cop in a 97 Geo Prizm. True Story.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Trans Am Kid
The Camaro cop I talked to in Tampa said he had a chip and that was all to the engine. He also said he went 174 chasing a motorcycle.
Maybe he should claim something like that about a car that actually has a "chip" and that has a speedometer that reads past 155.

police like to think their cars are special, idiots. Oh well, my B4C looks aight for an ex cop car
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Maybe he should claim something like that about a car that actually has a "chip" and that has a speedometer that reads past 155.

police like to think their cars are special, idiots. Oh well, my B4C looks aight for an ex cop car
my car is special....its got a cage, a small arsenal, woo woo lights, and a super computer powered by magic....all of which equals alil over 4000 pounds including the car....and it can go pretty quick...and i dont consider my self an "idiot"

i call bs on the 174 deal though....no sargeant or LT in there right mind would allow a chase at that speed
Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^there going that route here as well.....chargers, impalas, and maurders are the flavor now
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the last time i looked under the hood there was an LS1... the police in the chargers alway keep an eye on me...im suprised none has pulled me over to chat....the crown vic have though....oh and there is also a VW Beetle oklahoma sherrif car rolling around here....wonder what it pulls over.....civics and bullets????
Old 12-07-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I had my old 3rd gen(loud) I was shooting down I680 and saw a 4th gen on the side of the highway stopped...so I droped it into third and nailed it a few times, just a little shoutout to a fellow Camaro. Well, as I got within 20 yards or so I realized it was a CHP Camaro(damn those low profile roof racks!)...luckily he was already ticketing another driver, but he sure stared me down as I shot by.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by t/a for life
ok well i was at purdue west layfette one night at a party and i seen a black t/a pull someone over has anyone ever heard of that? cuz i swear to god it was one looked bout like a 99-01 body style
i go to purdue and yes they do have a black ls1 trans am ws6 for the purdue police department, it looks pretty bad ***, its got exhaust on it to, the tips look like they mite be corsa or borla
Old 12-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Launching!

thank you i knew i see that mo fo pull someone over haha if that was me in my t.a i just be like lets line them up and if you win i'll get a ticket but if not we go on our marry way hahaha...it is pretty bad *** lookin car though wanted to go talk to him bout it but i was smashed ahahah
Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 PM

it seems like there is alot of hate for the B4c camaro but im being as honest as i can i absolutely love my 2000 pewter B4C Z28 it is one of the fastest cars ive ever driven. mine was an original colorado hwy patrol car and the guy i bought it from put in a stage 3 transmission and it really gets up and goes i have had it to 150 and still had plenty of pedal to go this car has been clocked at 172mph and to me thats plenty fast so why does it matter if its a B4C or a non B4C its still an LS1 and thats all that matters to me and i can tell you the suspension is the stoutest car ive been in it has run 13.2 at 103mphwith a 2.00 60ft on street tires, and 12.7 on slicks it has a TCI 3000 rpm street fighter stall with 3.23 gears so i can still get 25 mpg on hwy and still chew up some tread and race so whats the big deal what camaro it is or isnt im happy with it.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

holy old thread batman

and I don't think you hit 172 with 3.23 gears..
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM

lol well new member looking for B4C threads and this one popped up anyways there is a club called southwest racing and they are the ones who know what this car does i bought it and can tell you it is scary fast i believe them when they say they clocked it and dont care what others do or dont believe. i am happy with my camaro and even happier its the B4C model i just see people get pissed when you start a new thread so i posted on the old ones

Quick Reply: Did cop cars have LSx???