Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many miles is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many miles is too many?

I am looking into a ls1 z28 or SS in M6. my question is how many miles is too many. this is considering that they have not beat up on it and it is in stock form. thanks for any answers, I just want some guidance for my search.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Its not really a big deal as long as everything was taken care of. Once you get into higher miles, you have standard things that need replacing, but besides that, the LS1 is a pretty good engine and holds up well past 100k miles.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

well it depends on price. if a car is in good condition, but has 150k on it, and they are asking 5-6k, i'd buy it ina heart beat. Now if the car had 100k on it and they wanted 10k for it, different story. A couple of things you shouldn't be naive about. Pretty much every ls1 will be modded and then demodded. Also, you shoudl think, every car was beaten on because that is what these cars are for.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
well it depends on price. if a car is in good condition, but has 150k on it, and they are asking 5-6k, i'd buy it ina heart beat. Now if the car had 100k on it and they wanted 10k for it, different story. A couple of things you shouldn't be naive about. Pretty much every ls1 will be modded and then demodded. Also, you shoudl think, every car was beaten on because that is what these cars are for.
Not necessarily, but still a good point. Some people actually don't abuse the cars, but they ARE ready/meant for it. There are some old folks that pamper them though. They are, however, hard to come by.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked at a dealership, we got a stock+crapmaster muffler 98 A4 Z28 in. A guy I know bought it. He ran 13.3@105 stock and I WATCHED him run a 13.1@104 on ET streets in it. He sprayed it cammed it full exhaust and stalled it and ran 10.40@133 (or 130? not sure, I think 133) before he spun a bearing (he claims oil starvation, but a rod was pretty banana shaped, I dunno...). Point is, I saw the piston/rings on it and everything looked gravy to me but that bannana shaped rod.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Banned

I dont THINK my car was modded/de-modded. It still has CAGS and paper air filter and stock lid and all that jazzz, even the stock exhaust and cat-back is still on her. The clamps look kinda "rusted" if you will and so I doubt it was taken off (rusty bolt threads, not BAD, just obviously havent had a nut going over them since GM put it there.). At least not any time recently. Then again...rare.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I dont THINK my car was modded/de-modded. It still has CAGS and paper air filter and stock lid and all that jazzz, even the stock exhaust and cat-back is still on her. The clamps look kinda "rusted" if you will and so I doubt it was taken off (rusty bolt threads, not BAD, just obviously havent had a nut going over them since GM put it there.). At least not any time recently. Then again...rare.
My point is, going into one of these cars, you shouldn't be naive about it. i'm sure 90% of these cars were modded. So just because someone advertises taht it was adult driven and not modded, doesn't mean you should believe them. If you look no a days, any car with any type of performance special is always adult driven and not modded.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

My point is, going into one of these cars, you shouldn't be naive about it. i'm sure 90% of these cars were modded. So just because someone advertises taht it was adult driven and not modded, doesn't mean you should believe them. If you look no a days, any car with any type of performance special is always adult driven and not modded.

Are you implying a seller would say something un-true to move a car

Seriously though, inspect it all around, look for nitrous line holes, doors line up, no rubber on fender wells, no cupped front tires from over-agressive driving, even tread wear on rear/front tires (rear should be A LITTLE more worn) any GM parts removed and replaced with generic (ex. would be GM stamped straps/fuel line wraps, ect. ect.) Presence or absense of non-paper filter, ect. T-tops lock and unlock with same GM key, so on.My car fit the above bill. Also, it has the original clutch (by the feel of it) and THAT is an indicator!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Launching!

I am the third owner of my car. It had a little over 18,000 miles when I bought. I did not know the original owner, but I went to school with the second owner. I know him that this car never went over 75 MPH and was babied. It was waxed and washed every week. It even had teh original airfilter in it. It was black and dirty, but still there. Like metioned above very RARE.

If looking at one of these cars. See if you can take it to your local shop with a lift. get under it and check. Look at the suspension mounts for marking and cleanliless.
Check all tie down of harness and protectors. If all in tact and still looks the age of the car than it is probably good. Look for any out of place holes in the interior, Dash, trunk area and such. If you don't find any than that a good sign of it hasn't been tampered with. One real good observation is talk to the owner several times. If he states the same thing over and over that it has not been modded or alike than it probably has.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
I am the third owner of my car. It had a little over 18,000 miles when I bought. I did not know the original owner, but I went to school with the second owner. I know him that this car never went over 75 MPH and was babied. It was waxed and washed every week. It even had teh original airfilter in it. It was black and dirty, but still there. Like metioned above very RARE.

If looking at one of these cars. See if you can take it to your local shop with a lift. get under it and check. Look at the suspension mounts for marking and cleanliless.
Check all tie down of harness and protectors. If all in tact and still looks the age of the car than it is probably good. Look for any out of place holes in the interior, Dash, trunk area and such. If you don't find any than that a good sign of it hasn't been tampered with. One real good observation is talk to the owner several times. If he states the same thing over and over that it has not been modded or alike than it probably has.

Agreed. Thing is, most ppl who mod it will tell ya about any races they had. "Will this thing beat a new GT?" "oh yeah, kill em all the time". If they say "it should" or "I have no clue, but shes fast" then chances are they are cunning or take care of it.

Also, have them take you for a test drive, dont say anything about how fast or anything. Let THEM dictate EVERYTHING about the test drive. If they show it off by burning out or 0-60 or something, thats prolly how they normally drive it.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Are you implying a seller would say something un-true to move a car

Seriously though, inspect it all around, look for nitrous line holes, doors line up, no rubber on fender wells, no cupped front tires from over-agressive driving, even tread wear on rear/front tires (rear should be A LITTLE more worn) any GM parts removed and replaced with generic (ex. would be GM stamped straps/fuel line wraps, ect. ect.) Presence or absense of non-paper filter, ect. T-tops lock and unlock with same GM key, so on.My car fit the above bill. Also, it has the original clutch (by the feel of it) and THAT is an indicator!
you'd be shocked by how clueless/naive some people are!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

you'd be shocked by how clueless/naive some people are!

Oh I doubt that...I used to work at a dealership and my own dealership scammed me. I was PISSED and told them so. Charged me 1/2 price to pull OBDI codes on my 5.0, told me it had no codes, I went and got a $30 handheld scanner and pulled so many I put a carburetor on the car and ripped the ECU out. Yeah...not happy with that.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Launching!

I plan on spraying so does that change for what typeof miles I should look for?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaro4me
I plan on spraying so does that change for what typeof miles I should look for?

Guy I knew sprayed hte **** out of a 98, spun a bearing after a lot of abuse (3-4 months?) it was cammed, stalled, full exhaust and ran 10.40's@130+.

had 110K on it when he bought it...ran 13.3@105 with a crapmaster muffler with that many miles on it.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Bought my Z at 126,000 miles on it... im pretty sure its a stock clutch since it doesnt grab very hard... anymore... it was driven like 20000 miles a year on the highway by an older dude and traded in when he bought a new car.

The only problems the car has was it needed a rear wheel speed sensor(50$) and new tires.

It dyno'd 312rwhp and 328rwtq through a paper filter. Yeah it held up just fine through the miles.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 PM
SSU, come over and relax

it depends on what you want out of your car

if you want to keep it for a long time i would go for lower miles, but if you are planning on keeping it for a short while and getting rid of it then i wouldnt worry as much about it

personally i wouldnt really want to get anything over around 80k just so i know it should have a good bit of miles left in it....but that is just me
Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

My car has over 153K miles and it still runs strong as before but with more squeaky noises... most of the miles are highway miles though.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm all shook up

I just bought my 2002 Z28 a few weeks ago for ONLY $12,000. It only has 45k miles, and it was 100% stock. Stock Air box, Paper Filter, Stock Cat-back, stock everything. It’s in MINT condition! I got a really good deal!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Elimi8tor Z28
I just bought my 2002 Z28 a few weeks ago for ONLY $12,000. It only has 45k miles, and it was 100% stock. Stock Air box, Paper Filter, Stock Cat-back, stock everything. It’s in MINT condition! I got a really good deal!
Thats one hell of a deal. If i ever find a car like that I would buy in a heartbeat.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Launching!

My 2000 WS6 was bone stock when i bought it... it had 42,000 miles on it. Theres a ton of stock LS1 cars in my area.