Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 vs M6

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 vs M6

I've done some searching and all I've really found is which would be better for a turbo, or a certain type of racing. I'm currently driving a 5spd 3000gt and I really like the fun of a manual. Im wondering which would be better for a college car though. Im going to get an LS1 Fbody in a few months for college. Currently I race autocross and do some but not much street racing. Once I get to college I will be near a dragstrip so I will be racing there also. I plan to buy the car stock or near stock and start out with smaller mods like full exhaust, intake, and smaller things like that but I do plan to move up to larger things like nitrous and a turbo or sc but not for a couple of years. Which transmission would be better?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The automatic will be more reliable- M6 cars tend to have rear-end troubles. But you might get sick of the auto really soon if you drive a manual now and love it. The manual will also be great if you're driving a few hundred miles from college back home, because it gets much better highway mileage. I would buy a manual, but if you're working on a tight budget (hey, I'm a college student too) don't drive it like you stole it until you have money for a 12-bolt or 9-inch rear.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

One big problem I'm having is finding the car anywhere near here. I have found more autos but I would like a M6 much better. Right now my car is actually down with tranny problems and I'm having problems finding a transmission so I'm stuck driving autos and it's not really bothering me. My drive home will only be about 70 miles or so to college so it wont effect me too much. How much does a beefed up rearend cost so that it wont be breaking again?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

This thread is gonna get really long, and probaby at least one fight will break out. The A4 vs M6 thing always seems to stir up some serious feelings.

All I'm going to say is, you HAVE to buy what you really want. I would NEVER buy a car with a transmission that wasn't my first choice. Personally, I like autos more, but that's just me. But if you like shifting gears, you should get what you want, not what other's tell you to get. This is a personal decision that only YOU can answer.

If you haven't driven both yet, then I suggest you do that. Keep in mind that the manual cars only come with one gear option from the factory (3.42) while the autos can have either a 2.73 or a 3.23.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyfire
Which transmission would be better?
"Better" is a word that describes one's opinion. Both work very well
with a turbo setup. IMO, the easier route to quicker ET's is an auto
tranny. Easier doesn't necessarily mean better.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

better ET's and races from dig = auto + stall
more top end pull & better mph in 1/4 = 6 speed
better for racing from a highway roll = 6 speed
better gas milage = pretty sure a 6 speed
easier on crappy 10 bolt rear = auto (lots of guys running 10's with stock rear & auto trans)
Old 01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

A built 12-bolt for the F-body is around 2000-2200 bucks, and the 12-bolt usually won't break. I drive an A4, I love it because it's so consistant at the strip, but when I drive one of my buddies' stick cars, it makes me want to put a M6 in my car. lol I think it all comes down to what you want out of the car. The A4 is fun with a stall, but still not as fun as the M6. I say if you're going to be doing a lot of drag racing, get the auto, because with just a stall, you'll be able to take M6 cars with more power than you, and you'll usually run consistantly all day long. If it's just going to be a bolt-on "fun" car for a few years until you start heavily modding it, get the M6. I wanted a M6 when I was car shopping, and ended up with my car because of the awesome deal I got. Sometimes I regret it, but my timeslips make it better Just think hard about it and don't buy unless it's what you really want. Pretty much, you'll have an LS1, so it's a win-win situation anyway. Hope that helps.

Jeremy
Old 01-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
better ET's and races from dig = auto + stall
Generally speaking, I agree...but a properly setup manual turbo
car has the ability to run as well, if not better, than it's auto
tranny counterpart.

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
better for racing from a highway roll = 6 speed
A good stall converter/tranny can eliminate that advantage.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you also have to take day to day driving into account, since your used to a manual you probably wont find it too bad in traffic and whatnot. For me personally, I refuse to drive in TOs rush hour traffic with a manual, theres just too much work involved . However I use the GTP as daily service in the winter, and by April(when the TA usually comes out) im itchin like crazy to drive stick! Its all personal opinion......lol, to be honest tho, if I got another F-body, it would be another M6....even with the traffic! theres nothing like doing 65-70mph and the engine is barely turning over(about 1600rpm) in 6th, its like the cars coasting!.....and 32 mpg! M6 will also help a lot on auto-xing, the auto will not be as effective...lol, i wont go there on my times but overall these guys are 100% right, theres no bad decision!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

This topic has been beaten to death, I don't think you have searched at all.

Anyway, the M6 is the way to go no matter what. If you want to brag about how much better an auto car is at the track then get a real one, a TH350.
Then when you are tired of only have 3 gears you can slap the M6 right back in.

A4 with cam = pwned, hell I have friends with bolt-ons and the A4 was trash. M6 can handle alot more hp's.

10-bolt this and 10-bolt that, I have seen 10-bolts go through some serious abuse from FI M6 cars at the track. It suprised me how long they can live.
I don't think you are going to be beating the snot out of the car at the track enough if you're college.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm8723
I drive an A4, I love it because it's so consistant at the strip, but when I drive one of my buddies' stick cars, it makes me want to put a M6 in my car. I think it all comes down to what you want out of the car. The A4 is fun with a stall, but still not as fun as the M6. I say if you're going to be doing a lot of drag racing, get the auto, because with just a stall, you'll be able to take M6 cars with more power than you, and you'll usually run consistantly all day long. I wanted a M6 when I was car shopping, and ended up with my car because of the awesome deal I got. Sometimes I regret it, but my timeslips make it better Just think hard about it and don't buy unless it's what you really want.
Exactly my situation ...
Old 01-07-2007, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Anyway, the M6 is the way to go no matter what.
That's an opinion though. Not everyone would agree.

A4 with cam = pwned, hell I have friends with bolt-ons and the A4 was trash. M6 can handle alot more hp's.
Seems to be higher shift rpms that hurt a stock 4L60E more than just extra power. You'll see some stock 4L60Es do just fine with an extra 150hp from a blower, while still using stock shift points. 4L60E is a damn good auto OD trans, IMO.

10-bolt this and 10-bolt that, I have seen 10-bolts go through some serious abuse from FI M6 cars at the track. It suprised me how long they can live.
Chances are MUCH greater of breaking a 10 bolt with an M6, like it or not, especially once you get a real clutch. Can the A4 break the rear? Sure, but not as likely as the M6, even more so once you start making big power.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help so far. I did research it some but I figured some people would throw in their input pretty fast. I race every autocross event held here which is one each month for 9 months out of the year. I am not sure if I will get into drag racing because I have never done it at a track. Autocross seems so much more fun and to me takes more of a driver. I want an m6 but they are harder to come by, and I still cannot even find hardly any of them. I'd prefer an m6 but I was checking to see which would be better for my situation according to the owners of the car. I think I'll stick with looking for a m6. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That's an opinion though. Not everyone would agree.
Yea, it is. And I know some people can't stand shifting alot like in traffic...pffft wimps! lol

Seems to be higher shift rpms that hurt a stock 4L60E more than just extra power. You'll see some stock 4L60Es do just fine with an extra 150hp from a blower, while still using stock shift points. 4L60E is a damn good auto OD trans, IMO.
All 4l60's that I have ever seen crap out, and with very little power to them. All have to be rebuilt at least one time.

I know you've had a few LS1's, A4's at that and mods. Has yours crapped out?
I'm not trying to step on your toes just asking, because put it this way.
I have a bonestock T-56 M6 behind my 427, same one that came on my car that I have been beating on for 6 years. You think a 4l60 in stock trim would last 30 seconds behind my motor? I know it would not, well maybe 45 seconds!
So, I'll match your 10-bolts suck with M6 cars with 4l60's are crap in stock trim compared to t-56.

Chances are MUCH greater of breaking a 10 bolt with an M6, like it or not, especially once you get a real clutch. Can the A4 break the rear? Sure, but not as likely as the M6, even more so once you start making big power.
Again, you're right. 10-bolt sucks for M6 cars, see above. But its not like you sneeze and bye bye. They will last, just depends on what you put it through.
I was about to snap mine and bought a 12-bolt before it did. And that was after alot of track time.

But I have seen a few of my friends (Inspector12 & Nice Try) with 650rwhp M6 cars taken them to the track more then a few times and street race the **** out of both of them and their's NEVER broke. Wish I had their luck! lol

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Teching In

I had trouble finding a f-body around here that I really wanted too. I found mine in Texas. It was well worth the drive to get exactly what I wanted.
As far as A4 vs. M6 goes. I'ts whatever puts the smile on your face every time you drive it. Thats how I feel about it anyway.
There's a company that sells tranny parts for your 3000gt. I bought parts from them a while back when I did the tranny in my Vr4. May even have a rebuild manual. If it would be helpful for you let me know and I'll look the info up for you.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Skyfire
thanks for the help so far. I did research it some but I figured some people would throw in their input pretty fast. I race every autocross event held here which is one each month for 9 months out of the year. I am not sure if I will get into drag racing because I have never done it at a track. Autocross seems so much more fun and to me takes more of a driver. I want an m6 but they are harder to come by, and I still cannot even find hardly any of them. I'd prefer an m6 but I was checking to see which would be better for my situation according to the owners of the car. I think I'll stick with looking for a m6. Thanks!
You need to just stick it out and find an M6 since you like to autocross. I have seen like 400 LS1 98-02 M6 cars for sale on www.autotrader.com there has to be one close to you.

Watch what you say about drag racing needing less skills then autocross, these guys will mob you. Both can be hard. I've seen a driver good at one and suck at the other. Just because you can turn a car does not mean you can launch it and bang the gears like need be. And just the same for drag guys, yes you have to turn the steering wheel. lol

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both and the M6 will always be more fun. But for the limited amount of money I have in mine, the M6 would be nowhere close at the track. Unfortunately I don't have times with the converter, but I'll go out on a limb and say it's faster than 12.9 now. Stalled A4 is no slouch and a lot of fun, but if I bought another F-body, it would be a M6.

There is no right answer to this question. Everyone has their opinion and no one is wrong. They both have their pros and cons.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of a powerglide vs. a Liberty, not
a 4L60E vs. a T-56.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NBM02
I had trouble finding a f-body around here that I really wanted too. I found mine in Texas. It was well worth the drive to get exactly what I wanted.
As far as A4 vs. M6 goes. I'ts whatever puts the smile on your face every time you drive it. Thats how I feel about it anyway.
There's a company that sells tranny parts for your 3000gt. I bought parts from them a while back when I did the tranny in my Vr4. May even have a rebuild manual. If it would be helpful for you let me know and I'll look the info up for you.
I think I have found one but if the deal doesn't go through ill get back to you! I dont want to rebuild, I'd rather just spend less money to get a used one as I am selling it.

You need to just stick it out and find an M6 since you like to autocross. I have seen like 400 LS1 98-02 M6 cars for sale on www.autotrader.com there has to be one close to you.

Watch what you say about drag racing needing less skills then autocross, these guys will mob you. Both can be hard. I've seen a driver good at one and suck at the other. Just because you can turn a car does not mean you can launch it and bang the gears like need be. And just the same for drag guys, yes you have to turn the steering wheel. lol

Peace,
Craig.
I know it takes skill, I just mean I find it to be more fun to autocross as I am able to compete with cars that are much faster than me in drag racing. Currently I can keep up with some LS1's, evo's, etc. but only because of their driving skill. Where most of the competition locally is, is with mustangs, f-bodies, corvettes and cars similar to that. I just prefer the turns more than the straight aways, of coarse they both are great fun to do. And also like I said earlier, I have never actually drag raced at a strip, so once I do that I may find that I really enjoy that.

As of now I will continue to look around for them. Does anyone know of any system besides like autotrader and cars.com that dealers sell with? I am aware that there are a lot of them out there, its just finding one that is not green and in my price range that I am finding difficult.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Launching!

autoextra.com

ls1tech.com

kbb classifides

Quick Reply: A4 vs M6