Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about Seafoam vs. Auto-Rx

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ? about Seafoam vs. Auto-Rx

Ive been looking through a lot of old threads and was wondering which works better? Which one should i use on my 74k mile 02 ss? Both?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IDK, I seafoamed my car and I think it helped:S. I have seen that RX stuff on the internet and the before and after pictures of the sludge. The RX looks really good, but I believe most people on here seafoam.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've used both. The only one I had results I could see was with Auto-RX. I've seen scuzzy oil come out after Seafoam, but the results aren't the same.

ARX in my V10 F250SD cleaned out the varnish under the valve cover and made everything clean and shiny. It didn't do that on the Camaro. I suspect it's only because there isn't as much oil splashing on the LS1. I do believe, however, that all the bits I can't see and that came into contact with the ARX'd oil are clean and shiny in the LS1. I like the idea behind ARX being slow, easy, and thorough.

Not in either case did any chunks of anything break loose and get caught in the oil filters through Seafoam or ARX. I dissect each oil filter to check the pleats and saw only normal debris that I see in every oil filter across all vehicles.

You'll never really know what's happened unless you tear your motor down before and after the treatment(s) and have a look-see. In my mind each has a purpose, and each is worth the $$$.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, that's the kind of info I needed. I know if you use the autorx, you are supposed to remove the oil pan and remove all the debris after a treatment, but do you need to do it too with the sea-foam?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You do NOT need to remove the oil pan or valve covers with ARX unless your engine is SO full of sludge that you HAVE to do that. That would be the same with any treatment.

The esters in ARX dissolve sludge in your engine and it gets rinsed away in the following oil change. If you have very much visible sludge under the valve covers you may want to change the oil filter halfway into the treatment and/or the rinse.

That is all. If you don't have a sludge monster you don't need to do anything special, though engines over 100k miles are recommended to have two treatments.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

That really cleared a lot up, I have only 74k, but depending on how much smoke I get on the first treatment will decide if I will do a follow-up
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

So how exactly does seafoam work, and how are you supposed to use it, Like where all do you put it in your car?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is the easiest thing to do... and if your like me, preventative maintenance is key to making your engine run strong and long, seafoam is better imo but i assume the autorx is petroleum as well, so the diffrence is minimal.... search for "seafoam" and you should find a sticky (i think) on seafoaming your car. do it... and dont be worried about putting it in your oil gas and vacum... its harmless... the worst you can do i foul a plug
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

ARX is largely animal based esters if I recall correctly, though it has petroleum carriers. The Auto-RX website has a lot of information to peruse if you want actually know what it is and how it works.

The difference between Seafoam and ARX is much more than minimal. Though they do largely the same thing at different speeds, they do it in such a way that there are distinguishable differences. ARX is more thorough, though slower. Seafoam is quick, but not so thorough.

ARX just goes in the oil. It dissolves most sludge, carbon, and varnish, and is carried away at oil change.

Seafoam goes in the oil. It dissolves some sludge, some carbon, and not so much varnish, and is carried away at oil change. Seafoam also goes in the gas tank to help clean injectors.

You'll have to look at the websites for each and think it out for yourself. Wow. What a concept.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Here this will help, how to Seafoam sticky----> https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html

Here is the auto Rx site -----> http://www.auto-rx.com/

Quick Reply: ? about Seafoam vs. Auto-Rx