Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Ram Air actually up your HP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
ok, better yet, poke a hole in the back and see how much air actually makes it out the back compared to how much is lost through the front of the tiny opening.. only so much air makes it in and the rest is lost, you don't think it sits in a waiting room do you?
You just described EXACTLY what ram air is...and you dont even know it.

The "waiting room" is the high pressure area PUSHING on the front of the car at hwy speed, the hole in the cup is your throttlebody, it is the same thing

David
Old 12-28-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, better yet, poke a hole in the back and see how much air actually makes it out the back compared to how much is lost through the front of the tiny opening.. only so much air makes it in and the rest is lost, you don't think it sits in a waiting room do you?
You're that far, put a psi guage in the hole...
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
Only reason why i bought my WS6 was because it looks 40 times better than a regular TA. The hood sold me on the look, not on its imaginary performance haha.
This discussion IS NOT on an LS1 ram air setup, but an LT1 WS6 setup vs a CAI.

But to test it if you ever go to the track tape up the nostrils and run it to see if it slows down.

David
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
So you raise hell about ram air being a "HOAX", flat out say it is bullshit.....and make a post to ask everyone on the board to see if it works???

Man O Man.......LMFAO.

I know MY IAT's are lower than a CAI, that means cooler air which mean more power.

If you REALLY think a 3 foot long CAI laying against a 200 degree radiator with 2 90* bends, 18 inches from the hot pavement, enclosed in the fender. makes MORE power than a straight shot of 12 inches from a high pressure area OUTSIDE the car....I TRULY can not help you.

David
Easily Tested. Take a log shot of your IATs and whatever the ambient is at your location, and I can check mine with my FIPK cai and splash cover removed. I have the stock t-stat and live in florida, where even at the end of december it is hot as hell right now!

Then we see the difference in percent of IAT tempts to ambient, and viola. Its science!!

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
It would be interesting for someone with a g-tech or whatever it's called and an aftermarket hood to get together with someone with a stock hood and do a few runs each way and see how much the averages vary by, or even cars at the track to swap hoods and see if they can tell anything. I don't imagine it's much for any street car in the 1/4 though. Like I said before, maybe a little for lower IAT.
Even better - its been done at the track already. Half of a tenth or less improvement in the 1/4. Is .05 really a valid documentable amount? Seems like a margin of error thing for me!

Exactly! a full front ends worth of air resistance is not going to force its way into two fist sized holes at 120 mph! I can understand a huge scoop opening at 250mph...but a street car? c'mon!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You just described EXACTLY what ram air is...and you dont even know it.

The "waiting room" is the high pressure area PUSHING on the front of the car at hwy speed, the hole in the cup is your throttlebody, it is the same thing

David
ok...hmmmm.......ok i got it!!... your mouth = throttle body, go get a high pressure hose and try drinking the water fast enough that it doesn't start spraying backwards(back pressure). kind of hard? that's because your body (ECU) is only programmed to drink (intake) so much fluid (air) at the givin speed at throttle...

Originally Posted by Puck

Exactly! a full front ends worth of air resistance is not going to force its way into two fist sized holes at 120 mph! I can understand a huge scoop opening at 250mph...but a street car? c'mon!
Yeah, maybe if they were basketball size openings it might do something.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Even better - its been done at the track already. Half of a tenth or less improvement in the 1/4. Is .05 really a valid documentable amount? Seems like a margin of error thing for me!

Yes, but you could lessen the margin of error by averaging multiple runs and comparing the averages, the more runs, the less error.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

ok...hmmmm.......ok i got it!!... your mouth = throttle body, go get a high pressure hose and try drinking the water fast enough that it doesn't start spraying backwards. kind of hard? that's because your body (ECU) is only programmed to to drink (intake) so much fluid (air) at the givin speed at throttle...

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH wrong, your ecm has a hotwire MAF and 02 sensors to tell it how much air is entering the engine and to give it enough fuel to match the incoming air, the ONLY limiting factors are the injectors and fuel pump capabilites for a given HP setup. Why do you think a stock car can run just fine in Denver and drive the same car to Miami? Way different hp in those altitudes and air ingestion capabilities.

In Denver with the ambient temp at 95* and Houston Tx at 35* do you REALLY think your car is taking in the same amount of air under WOT?

The engine will ingest as much air as it can,Positive pressure in the intake tract makes it possible to get even MORE down its throat, the ecm is responsible for adding fuel....you are now touching in an engines VE capability.

AND AGAIN you describe EXACTLY what ram air is, keeping the plenum/filter box in positive pressure.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-28-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Hang on there folks...we have a real live pissing match here!

Let's see who comes out victorious in this battle of internet wit...
Old 12-28-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can't compare air and water, air compresses very easily relative to water that compresses so little it basically doesn't. Sort of like brake fluid, the pedal is solid until you get air in the system so it gets soft.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

Old 12-28-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Hang on there folks...we have a real live pissing match here!

Well obviously I will lose, I am the one with NO common sense here

WOW.

David
Old 12-28-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

i have braught my car to a number of different places and i do understand what you mean. i have drove it in FL where i lived, NC, NY, NM (HIGH elevation), texas ECT. so trust me, i do understand all that. you have a strong arguement, but you picked the wrong side to study. as you can see, everyone here agrees it works, but hardly.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

braught
Old 12-28-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

vendetta... enough with the corrections lol.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

It already done been braughten...y'alls been served!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Are you guys "discussing" that a Ram Air compresses more air into the motor over a CAI or simply which one yields lower IAT's? I think the gains get miscontrued when lower IAT's are obtained (more hp) and people classify that as a "raming" effect.

In a N/A state a motor is only going to pull as much air as it needs. There is no raming force like a FI car. Ever try sticking your head outside the window at 100mph and try to take a deep breath through you mouth? Your lungs didn't explode did they? Why? My $.02 -Mark

-Mark
Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Ever try sticking your head outside the window at 100mph and try to take a deep breath through you mouth? Your lungs didn't explode did they? Why?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Curious fact. This argument is almost always overly discussed by Camaro owners.....hood envy?

LOL!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

Good stuff. I especially like the water hose analogy but the head out the window... ROTFLMAO.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by raceme@you'dlose.com
Good stuff. I especially like the water hose analogy but the head out the window... ROTFLMAO.
closest comparison i could come up with lol.

Quick Reply: Does Ram Air actually up your HP?