Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i sell my baby?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i sell my baby?

I was looking over some posts and i was wondering if i should just sell my SS M6 that i just got and just wait till i'm out of college and get some other sport/muscle car? i can afford to keep it but if i didn't have it i could afford some piece of crap neon or somethin that gets good gas milage and low insurance... i wouldn't be pressured into buying mods and i could probably save up for a house and/or a vette or whatever.

i'm gonna be in college for near 6 years (Pharmacy).

98 ss M6. The car has 90K on it all of it hwy . it was a daily driver for my dad. no problems tune up and everything done well maintained, no winters, could use some paint. I'm thinkin i could get 11K or maybe 12K

i want to know what you all think.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Should i sell my baby?

damn, if I sold my baby I sure would miss her. But Im never going to sell her!!!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

If you got a girlfriend then sell it if it's ok with her, if not wait till you pick up some college chicks in it, then sell it, of course you may not want to then.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Whatever makes you happy.

I'm thinking you would get $10-11K for the car since it has a lot of miles on it and it's hard to finance.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

I decided to hold off on buying a TA because of me being in college. I didn't want to over extend myself with car payments and insurance. I can't miss something I haven't had yet. Right now I have a 92 honda accord that is really reliable. She is bone stock and plans to stay that way. No ricey for me. I have no car payments on it and it gets me where I need to go. Also, college is the last party years of your life. You have to have fun and I wouldnt be able to do that if I had huge car payments. I will wait till I have a fulltime job to get the TA and if the honda is reliable as they say they are, then she will be my winter beater. I say sell the TA and have the best time you can at college. Then when you get out of college, you can go for a nice SS or WS6 and have money for mods. Good luck to you though in whatever decision you make.

Mike
Old 07-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Well I sat down taday and thought hard about this that i probably wouldn't be able to get rid of it this year cause summer is almost over and well if i wait and try to sell it next year Its going to drop another $1000-2000 and well by that time i wouldn't get enough out of it... and i think i would regret getting rid of my first sports car. i'll just let it sit till i have some money to throw at it. Thanks for some of the responses and getting me through my nervous breakdown
Old 07-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first sports car was a '67 Firebird that I bought while I was in college. When I graduated, I traded it in on a new IROC-Z. Now I wish I had kept the '67.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep that car. Its fun, and you won't get much for selling it due to the year and mileage. Neon? NOOOOO! An M6 f-body will get 30 mpg on the highway if you don't floor it all the time.

If you want to mod the car, believe me you will find ways to come up with the cash. I would have loved to own an LS1 f-body while I was in college. I suffered 3 years with a POS used 85 Nissan Pulsar. Yuck

Tony
Old 07-15-2003, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would definently keep it. The thing that would scare me about taking it to college or something like that is all the door dings it might accumulate. As you said it needs some paint work, so you dont have to always mess with parking at the back of the lots, etc. and whenever you graduate get a custom paint job
Old 07-16-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do not sell it. WHen you do your gona eventually dwell over the fact that you sold your first sports car.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:37 AM
Teching In

keep it, i wish i still had my first 3 cars
85 Monte Carlo SS
87 Iroc
95 Z28
Old 07-16-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1984 Z28 for my first car and I could kick myself in the *** for selling it insteda of jus dropping the money for a motor/transmission since the car was paid off. Ah well live and learn I guess
Old 07-16-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to mod the car, believe me you will find ways to come up with the cash.
Tony
LMAO Thats very true. You will find ways to mod that car. I bet youll go as far as selling your left nut. Yes its addicting.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

youre keeping it then?good idea but if you did you could always get another one.before this car i dont regret selling any of my other ones.they were fun while i had them but i dont miss them.this car i plan to keep forever if things work out.

youll have plenty of time to have fun and theyll be other cars after college is done.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

There is one thing you're missing here. You can pick up a CHEAP beater for about $1,000 as a daily driver. Please don't sell the SS, at least until you get a suitable replacement. You'll hate yourself quickly. Trust me on this. I had, and sold, a 1978 Indy Pace Car Edition Vette when I was in college. I sold it to have some fast cash. It has taken me >>mumble, mumble<< years to fill that empty feeling in my chest with a '99 Z28. I will never sell that thing again.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Good job on keeping it! I just got my second F-body, first SS a month ago and wow!, I love her to death man.