New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbody = POS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me i feel that way. Hence i dont own one anymore.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

IMO the 4th gen f-bodys have some idiosyncrasies. Crappy power window wiring for one. Turn signals two.... Headlight motors three etc............All minor stuff though.

What car doesn't?

I agree with the above statement that the guy can think of 10 cars that are worse. Much worse actually. NEVER buy a VW if you think your fbody is bad.

I see the cheapness in our cars with the little stuff like the dent in the floorpan and such.

BTW if you take all of your connectors that are exposed and put dielectric grease on them you will be happy.....
Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

All cars have them. Cobras, Z06's and even the new Camaro will. I feel you though, after 2 weeks of owning my 2nd LS1 Fbody, I put it for sale. The squeeks and rattles get me just as much as the slow floppy windows. My 03 Cobra was much more enjoyable and quiet inside but they too have weak seatbelt retractors and the shifter feels too far forward, though thats fixed with $30 handle. Im going back to a Cobra or a used C6Z as soon as this one sells. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reasons I bought a stripper Z-28

No pop-up headlights to fix

No power window motors to replace

No power switches to replace

My rational: Less = More
Old 04-20-2008, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I have yet to own a "perfect" car. I've had vehicles in just about every category possibile, from full sized luxury, to compact commuters, to a full sized van/truck, to muscle/sport cars. And I've been from GM, to Dodge, to Toyota. Every car will have things about it you don't like, sometimes even things you hate. But it's a compromise - because usually they'll also have stuff you love. F-bodies are actually very nice cars if you leave them mostly stock and take good care of them. Once people start to mod them heavily you lose some reliability and comfort, and that tends to get annoying over time. Also, lots of these cars on the used market have been pretty run down by previous owners that really haven't taken good care of them, and it shows. There are still plenty of nice ones left though, you just have to hunt for them. Then be realistic about what compromises you're willing to live with if you want to start modding.

The other issue comes in when people expect too much from these cars. They aren't comparable to luxury cars, and you can't expect luxury fit & finish from a car that was $25k brand new and able to bust off mid-low 13 second passes right from the dealer 10 years ago.

Nothing is perfect in life. You have to learn to take the good with the bad, or you'll never be happy with anything.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude every 99 model vehicle has problems like that. Yours just happened to hit around the same time.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Launching!

I've rolled 50,000 just recently in my 01.. I've just done easy stuff... oil changes, air filter, had to replace battery and a fog light as well. And my monsoon door speakers blew out (hell there's no getting around that)

Aside from that.. nothing! nothing really life-threatening. *knock on wood*

I also give it hell from time to time, but not all the time. Ever other fbody i've seen in this area is a P.O.S.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:38 AM
DRT
Teching In

I just bought my first f-body about a month or two ago. I've always wanted one and now that i have it, i think its by far the most fun car i've ever driven. I bought it more or less as a toy, as i have a pickup truck as my daily driver. When i bought the car, i went into it with the understanding that it was a 10 year old car (its a '98 trans am) and that is was going to need some work. I feel like i got a pretty good deal on it and its pretty much bone stock with 56k miles on it. As of now, everything works perfectly, but i know that sooner or later little things will probably start going out such as the infamous window motor, headlight motors, etc. I'm planning on keeping it pretty much bone stock as i have the mindset that if i start modding heavily that it will start taking a little bit of the reliability away from the engine/tranny. I know i might get some critical comments about that statement, but i think its true. Just take care of your car and keep up with routine maintenance and it will take care of you.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

personally, i did not buy the car for the build quality. the car is built like a tin can.. but it's fun to drive... perfect toy IMO.

if you want quality, look away from GM
Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Wahhhh!!! lol
Old 04-21-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by landonew
Yea, the car has just under 30K on it. And the motor did go (spun bearing). I am not bitching about the motor. I modified it (H/C/I) and i accept the consequences.

Wow you guessed it, I am 23 years old. I am far from a "kid" though. In fact I would bet you next weeks pay check that if you met me, the last thing you would think I was was a kid.

BTW, an 86 corvette is what most would consider an OLD car. You bought a project car and that is what you got, a BIG EXPENSIVE project. So you had to replace fuel injectors, and a few bulbs. If I bought a car that was damn near as old as I was then I would expect to be replacing fuel injectors, bulbs and just about every other wearable part. I am sure your vette is nice, but i don't really undestand how you can compare a 22 year vette to my 1999 TA. Considering that the miles are low, I would expect things like window/headlight motors, blinker switches, and the like to be functioning properly. Anyhow, I bought a "realitively" late model car that is 8 years old (not 22 years old), and i don't think my expectations are to high.

Also, how the hell do you "beat the crap" out of a window motor, and headlight motors. I mean i guess you could sit there and roll the windows up and down several hundred times a day, but aside from that they are not really susceptable to abuse are they?

Anyhow, Sorry for you guys who got your panties in a bunch over a slight criticism of our cars. As I suspected the majority of the community was able to relate because they have experianced the same problems (although maybe not all in 1 month ).

The title was supposed to be for shock value, and to draw attention to the thread. I am a GM guy to the core, and honestly just thought i would share my run of Bad luck with the community. To be honest, If it wasn't my car, I would find the multitude of problems that i have had within such a short period of time pretty fu*king funny.
Well this is the deal..I did not just buy the corvette last week..it was not 22 yrs old..It was 6 yrs old when I had it..And no,the overdrive part of the trans should not have been out..I did not buy it as a project car..The car bs'd me and con'd me..I'm sure its happened to others..The car came from Arizona.It had a new top and the interior looked like new..The problems arose after about 3 months..I was not familiar with Vette's at that time..Also,if you beat the crap out of a car,it does stress the windows and everything else..These cars are prone to wearing out window motors,the windows are heavy.. Some of this stuff happens..Sometimes you get a good car,sometimes you get a lemon.. My point was my Vette was alot more expensive than your TA and I had more ,expensive problems than you did..I've had tons of Iroc's and other sports cars..NO mustangs! I just new you were younger when you named the thread Fbody= POS..seriously,who is going to do that on a site that is for Fbody cars..?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irocem99
Well this is the deal..I did not just buy the corvette last week..it was not 22 yrs old..It was 6 yrs old when I had it..And no,the overdrive part of the trans should not have been out..I did not buy it as a project car..The car bs'd me and con'd me..I'm sure its happened to others..The car came from Arizona.It had a new top and the interior looked like new..The problems arose after about 3 months..I was not familiar with Vette's at that time..Also,if you beat the crap out of a car,it does stress the windows and everything else..These cars are prone to wearing out window motors,the windows are heavy.. Some of this stuff happens..Sometimes you get a good car,sometimes you get a lemon.. My point was my Vette was alot more expensive than your TA and I had more ,expensive problems than you did..I've had tons of Iroc's and other sports cars..NO mustangs! I just new you were younger when you named the thread Fbody= POS..seriously,who is going to do that on a site that is for Fbody cars..?
Im younger, 19y.o. but I think the F-Body is far from being a POS. Even tho I just got a ticket for Exhibition of the Accelerator, and Excessive Exhaust. I still love my beast!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everytime I do plugs on one I feel your pain!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

F-bodies aren't for everyone. If you can't overlook the minor faults of a F-body, you need to look into other types of cars.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Launching!

anyone here think the LS1 dash is one of the BETTER DASHES out there? lets not think of the console in terms of design or quality or anything.. but the dash itself. Aside from having to deal with the engine being right under it, I think the dash design is fantastic, even for being from 1998. I see new hondas, acuras, lexus, etc. And I think the LS1 fbody's dash holds its own in terms of design. The door panels aren't even bad. The fitment isn't as tight as newer cars.. but the design and functionality is pretty ******* good, i have to say.

The worst part of my car is the turn signal stalk. That whole thing rattles more than the other parts of the car.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
anyone here think the LS1 dash is one of the BETTER DASHES out there? lets not think of the console in terms of design or quality or anything.. but the dash itself. Aside from having to deal with the engine being right under it, I think the dash design is fantastic, even for being from 1998. I see new hondas, acuras, lexus, etc. And I think the LS1 fbody's dash holds its own in terms of design. The door panels aren't even bad. The fitment isn't as tight as newer cars.. but the design and functionality is pretty ******* good, i have to say.

The worst part of my car is the turn signal stalk. That whole thing rattles more than the other parts of the car.
I like everything about the interior design of these cars. I honestly have no clue why people hate on it so much. I mean, it's not comparable quality-wise to a brand new $50k+ luxury car, but keep in mind that these cars are 6-10 years old, and in base V8 trim only cost low-mid $20s when new.

I think people expect too much out of F-bodies. They are great for what they're intended to be. If you buy one wanting/expecting luxury + great stock power, then you're very misguided on your expectations. You should get a Corvette in that case. There is a reason why Corvettes cost more but don't run significantly faster in a straight line when compared to a same year/same trans LS1 F-body; the extra cost is paying for better handling, better brakes, and higher quality.

There is ALWAYS a nicer car (and always a shittier one too). A Vette is built like poop compared to a Bentley. And an F-body is built like a luxury car compared to an Aveo.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i always put silicone on all the edges of my lights, and a little of the gasket stuff were my bulbs go just to make sure.......it sucks but i have 97000 on my z28 yet to change anything in the motor except for a thermostat......
Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im very happy with the interior of the F-Body its up to par with some cars today. But thats just my opinion. I just dont dig the steering wheel as much.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
Im very happy with the interior of the F-Body its up to par with some cars today. But thats just my opinion. I just dont dig the steering wheel as much.
I can agree about the steering wheel. I like the older Camaro steering wheel better (the one they dropped after '99). It was a smaller diameter with thicker grips, which felt more performance oriented.

I almost get used to the '00+ style, but then I get into my '98 car and remember how much more I like the old one.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like my 98 wheel

I think it looks better than the newer wheel, and besides, with my pioneer HU the buttons on the wheel would just get in the way anyway (unless i wanted to find some way to rig it to work.. nah).

I've had to repair a bunch of stuff on my car but a bunch of it is maintenance than any 100K+ car can expect to have. Only real major repair has been lifters in January and now a new motor... bad thing about buying an abused car Shame the motor didn't wait to blow on me until later when I would have more money and time, I would have done an LS1 conversion, sigh...

Quick Reply: Fbody = POS!