Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost big power and need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost big power and need help

I have a 1998 formula and i have lost a lot of power. I put LS6 heads, intake, and cam with SLP headers, MAF, High flow cats and a loudmouth exhaust system. about two or three years ago. everything ran great and it would spin and kick sideways on you even with the factory limited slip on ( I can't turn it off) after a trip to Tenn it lost a lot of the power, it doesn't have a miss but i knew the number 8 coil was bad so i changed that out and it helped a little but i still don't have all my power. I had it scanned at auto zone and it came up as the MAF, o2 wasn't reading enough and something about the cats. I looked in the MAF and it looks good, I don't know how to check the o2 and the cats don't sound bad. Do you think it could be the injectors, or maybe the crank sensor positioner? I was going to put a procharger on it but I want to get this thing fixed before I add any more power to it. The procharger is sitting in garage and driving me nuts.

Next problem does anyone know how I can turn off the factory limited slip, i have the light in my cluster but i don't have the switch in my dash.anything would help thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

ok went back to autozone and had them check it again and now its just bank 1 and two are lean.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

If the switch isn't present, you shouldn't have traction control. I have a 99 formula with no switch and it'll light them up to the cords.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You mentioned cats... if they are plugged even partially it can bog the motor down.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh hell yes... my cat clogged on my car and i had no idea what was going on at the time... and it basically felt like someone had kicked my car in its sack and it was in pain...basically it wouldnt run at all and sputtered and basically acted like it was running out of gas... i mean in a sense a car is like a person... its gotta breathe some way or another...
you can test your backpressure by taking out an o2 sensor and putting a gauge of some sort in there... and i know when mine was clogged i was throwin somewhere damn near 6 pounds of backpressure lol
Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

im actually having the exact same problem with my 96 lt1 z28

autozone reads bank 1 and bank 2 too lean says the MAF.. it started when i put that seafoam **** in it its running like i have a misfire just running like **** id like to know what the hell to do also
the guys at oreillys were saying vacuum lines were leaking i spent about 30 bucks and 2 hours replacing vacuum lines last night but it still sounds and runs like poop. i can only really hear the crappy sound when the cutouts open though sounds like a bad misfire

Last edited by That1WhiteGuy; 04-27-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just for kicks, have you tried cleaning the MAF with CRC Mass Air Cleaner?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

no i'm going to put the stock one back on today and see how it works.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Im sittin at the shop right now im just going to let them deal with it