Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air Hood Quandry...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air Hood Quandry...

I purchased an emaculant 2000 TransAm/5.7/6spd, with 8,000 original miles. Still smells new, garage kept with 1 year factory warrenty, I stoll it.
The only thing wrong-NO RAM Air. Sun Coast Creations has a fiberglass Ram Air Hood Kit, called the Raptor(dosn't have the divider between the openings. I love the look,plus it's different and I gotta be me. It's offered with rear heat extractors also. Has to be dry fit, then painted ect.
RamAirHood offers a oem manufactued plastic hood, they claim will bolt on in 30 min, and they will pre paint, put on the ram air decals and vent grills, but they don't have the Raptor. I'm looking at about 300.00 bucks less and they
also claim it's about 30# lighter.
Anyone familiar with these companies and have any input

It's all about cause and effect
Old 08-04-2003, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Ram Air Hood Quandry...

the name of the company is Ramairhood, send me the link, Im looking for a hood myself
Old 08-04-2003, 06:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Also check out ASCD and VFN, they are sponsors here and sell hoods.

www.AmericanSportscar.com
www.VFNfiberglass.com

The Raptor is a sweet looking hood, a bit more aggressive looking than the factory Firehawk hood. Some people have fitment issues, some don't. Most of them take a bit of finishing work to paint. If you can score a factory WS6 hood, that is most often your best fitment bet.

Tony
Old 08-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Teching In

www.SUNCOASTCREATIONS.COM
www.RAMAIRHOOD.COM
Old 08-04-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone know of junkyards that might carry factory WS6 hoods?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Also supposed to be OEM quality:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2421740671
Old 08-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Hey MYY2K,

I have the hood from Ramairhoods also trading as Advanced Plastics something or another. It is a nice hood sitting still.

I had probs with fitment front to back. Side to side was good. I had it prepainted Bright red, it came not the same color, just slightly purple tinted. Over time and sitting in the sun, it's getting closer, you can just see it's not the same color.

I had to Dremel out the hood hinges to get it to move forward, then, when I was snugging it up, I found out the bolt threads are into aluminum and stripped one. Not real happy. The hood bounces up and down in the middle on bumpy roads.

Presently, I am looking for an OEM hood.

Just my two cents. After spending $1200 I'm not real thrilled with the product.

Tim
Old 08-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Restricted User

I havent seen a bolt on fiber hood that doesnt bounce in the middle, or bow at high speeds. Even my friends SS' do. But I feel your pain. I am looking for the WS6 hood for the Camaro myself.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

go with an ASCD hood or a factory hood from GM parts direct. Thats your best bet.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:29 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on my second Raptor hooded LS1 Firebird...

Personally, I love the look of the Raptor hood, but honestly... the effects of Ram Air are highly overrrated. The hood is more cosmetic than anything. And if you're going to get a Raptor hood, don't get the heat extractors. They aren't worth the money.

There's no way a WS6 hood could be 30# lighter than a Raptor hood... a Raptor hood does not even weigh 30 lbs. They're probably talking about a STOCK metal hood, and the Raptor hood is probably equally light.

It's all what you're into... personally I will pay more for a Raptor hood because there's less of them out there... and I don't think there's another purple Raptor around anywhere.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with an ASCD hood or a factory hood from GM parts direct. Thats your best bet.
why would you say ASCD?
i bought an ASCD
but i dont have enough $$$ to get it all together

when i do
ill do a good 160mph or so
let you guys know if it wobbles or bows or whatever

sometimes i think i should have got VFN because they are much cheaper.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an RK SS hood same problem with paint discoloring after a while in the sun and same shaking problem. Shaking problem can be cured with hood pins. Discoloration :just get repainted It will not change again. Fit was good.
I'm going to change mine to ULTRA Z from SLP since I got FIPK and it's the only OEM quality hood with direct air scoop right over the filter to give it a true RAM AIR functionality. As u increase in speed Ram Air becomes more functional and does give u a few more HP's on your power curve. The only way to test that is with a laptop and on the move Dyno-ing or perhaps G-TECH.
The concept of Ram Air has been around for generations and is a proven fact. All race cars have scoops sticking out to get the last ounce of fresh air in the motor.
On the dyno it has been proven that frontal open filter elements like FIPK give better # on the power curve than SSRA or FTRA because no air is being gushed in the later two at stand still, This changes when the car is moving and as speed increases; but it proves that FIPK has better flow. So with ULTRA Z hood air is injected directly above FIPK and makes it fully functional which is not the case with SS hoods which are only good for looks and perhaps a bit of engine bay cooling.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Myy2K,

When i first purchased my 02 T/A convert.I thought i wanted a ram air hood.After doing much research on this site pertaining to aftermarket ram air hoods,i opted not to get one for many reasons.Fitment,color match,the price,aerodynamics and a host of other reasons.I like my stock factory hood,it's metal,the color matches and it fits perfect.

The other thing i noticed was that i have never seen a stock T/A convertible...everyone i've seen is a ram air model.So i've decided to build somewhat of a sleeper,no spoiler and no ram air hood.

I used the money i was going to invest in a hood on performance mods instead,now whenever i race a stock WS6,i wave as i go by.

I don't want to discourage you from doing what you want to do to your car,i just wanted to share my experiences with my new car with you.Either way you will have a lot to think about...dreaming about mods...what to do next.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Teching In

www.VFNfiberglass.com makes a great hood at a great price. plus their is a group purchase right now of $75 off which brings the price to $405 for a bolt on, can't beat that. These guys know what they are doing, they make entire car bodies for a living.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:08 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent seen a bolt on fiber hood that doesnt bounce in the middle, or bow at high speeds. Even my friends SS' do. But I feel your pain. I am looking for the WS6 hood for the Camaro myself.
My Raptor hood does not bounce or bow at high speed, neither did the one on the Trans Am I had before my Formula.... and I had it above 145 mph.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MEDIC238
Hey MYY2K,

I have the hood from Ramairhoods also trading as Advanced Plastics something or another. It is a nice hood sitting still.

I had probs with fitment front to back. Side to side was good. I had it prepainted Bright red, it came not the same color, just slightly purple tinted. Over time and sitting in the sun, it's getting closer, you can just see it's not the same color.

I had to Dremel out the hood hinges to get it to move forward, then, when I was snugging it up, I found out the bolt threads are into aluminum and stripped one. Not real happy. The hood bounces up and down in the middle on bumpy roads.

Presently, I am looking for an OEM hood.

Just my two cents. After spending $1200 I'm not real thrilled with the product.

Tim
I too bought a prepainted (bright red) hood from those guys. It almost fits perfectly, except the front portion of the driver's side of the hood is slightly distorted; it's bent down a little bit more than the passenger side. This really pisses me off after spending about $1200 and waiting about a month and a half to get it shipped to me. You think a body shop can fix this? I'm thinking "NO"; how are they gonna bend the hood so that it fits perfectly? At least the color was right on.

On the bright side, I don't think you can tell its phucked up unless you're looking for it. I should post pics to see if you guys can spot it. I'll see if I can borrow my friend's digital camera later today.

And ya, my hood bounces up and down in the middle on bumpy roads too. ARGH!
Old 08-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myy2k
I purchased an emaculant 2000 TransAm/5.7/6spd, with 8,000 original miles. Still smells new, garage kept with 1 year factory warrenty, I stoll it.
The only thing wrong-NO RAM Air. Sun Coast Creations has a fiberglass Ram Air Hood Kit, called the Raptor(dosn't have the divider between the openings. I love the look,plus it's different and I gotta be me. It's offered with rear heat extractors also. Has to be dry fit, then painted ect.
RamAirHood offers a oem manufactued plastic hood, they claim will bolt on in 30 min, and they will pre paint, put on the ram air decals and vent grills, but they don't have the Raptor. I'm looking at about 300.00 bucks less and they
also claim it's about 30# lighter.
Anyone familiar with these companies and have any input

It's all about cause and effect

The 30 minute bolt-on install time for the ramairhood hood is B.S. imho. Took me about 3 hours. Of course I'm a rank amateur, but still I think it'd take a pro more than 30 minutes. I had to extend the hinge holes to get it to fit right and that part was a bitch to do.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my borther bought a ss hood for 93-97 fbody..about 3 weeks ago...they shipped it to him in 3 days...mabe 2 but i think it was 3 hella fast shipping!..plus the hood was in superb condition..he got it painted at a body shop..in about 2 days..put it on the fitment was near perfect...the only thing that didn't fit...was the left side was bowed..in..but it wasn't the hood it was his finder so after hammering a bit on the finder to get it to be normal..the hood slid in perfect...it doesn't bounce wobble or anything..only thing i noticed is its alot harder to close the hood...and get it to latch...than the stock one..other than that...it looked great...
Old 08-08-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2quick2angry
I too bought a prepainted (bright red) hood from those guys. It almost fits perfectly, except the front portion of the driver's side of the hood is slightly distorted; it's bent down a little bit more than the passenger side. This really pisses me off after spending about $1200 and waiting about a month and a half to get it shipped to me. You think a body shop can fix this? I'm thinking "NO"; how are they gonna bend the hood so that it fits perfectly? At least the color was right on.

On the bright side, I don't think you can tell its phucked up unless you're looking for it. I should post pics to see if you guys can spot it. I'll see if I can borrow my friend's digital camera later today.

And ya, my hood bounces up and down in the middle on bumpy roads too. ARGH!
Post pics when you get them I was thinking of getting this hood and also prepainted (bright red too!)

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hood Quandry...