Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about O2 sensors

My confession of the day is that I really don't know anything about O2 sensors. How many O2 sensors does a stock LS1 F-body have? 3? What are the advantages of deleting them and how would I go about doing it?

I went to Autozone and asked about O2 sensors, and they were around $75 each or something. Is that the price for one? I'm throwing a P0131 code and I don't know which O2 sensor to replace.

I'd do a search, but I'm having difficulty finding the right keywords. Searching "O2s" doesn't really help.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Have them scan your car. They do it for free. It will tell you which sensor it is.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

They did scan it. "Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1" ??
Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Thats your driver side O2 then. You can see it when you open your hood. Should be just behind your steering shaft on the manifold. Get a new Bosch or AC Delco sensor and replace it. With the O2 sensor socket, takes about 15 minutes. Its alot easier going under the car and doing it. I just replaced both of mine.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 AM
TECH Regular

F-body comes with 4 O2 sensors. 2 for each side, one before the cat and one after. The primary O2 ( before the cat) monitor the exhaust gases and determines fuel delivery. Secondary O2's (after the cat) are purely for emissions purposes.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ravensfan
F-body comes with 4 O2 sensors. 2 for each side, one before the cat and one after. The primary O2 ( before the cat) monitor the exhaust gases and determines fuel delivery. Secondary O2's (after the cat) are purely for emissions purposes.
So the rear O2s can be deleted without any other modification? Would it be fine to just replace one primary O2 or would it be a good idea to replace them both?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

So the rear O2s can be deleted without any other modification? Would it be fine to just replace one primary O2 or would it be a good idea to replace them both?
This is correct, keeping in mind that the only reason you'd really wanna delete the rear 02s is if you've removed the cats in the first place. As for replacing only one 02, sure that'll work...kinda goes with the old adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it." So yah, just pop one new sensor in the socket that you're having trouble with.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:54 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You can just replace the one. before the cat, driver's side. Bank 1 is driver's side, Bank 2 is pass side. sensor 1 means pre-cat, sensor 2 means post cat.

Before buying one, swap the driver's sensor with the passengers and see if the code moves with bank 2 sensor one, so that you know for sure it's the problem

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by newton
Correct you can delete the rear O2, but you have to have the codes deleted that are associated with them as well.

Personally, Id replace them both. You dont HAVE to, but Id rather have 2 sensors that I know are new, in good working order and reading the same levels of exhaust gases....But, if you cant afford, replacing the faulty is perfectly OK.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ravensfan
Correct you can delete the rear O2, but you have to have the codes deleted that are associated with them as well.

Personally, Id replace them both. You dont HAVE to, but Id rather have 2 sensors that I know are new, in good working order and reading the same levels of exhaust gases....But, if you cant afford, replacing the faulty is perfectly OK.
can you delete them with a obd2 scanner and they wont come back or will they be coming back? by coming back i mean the codes coming back
Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help guys. I'm seeing the driver side one from atop the engine bay, but I couldn't find the pass. side one. Gotta jack the car up for that one?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyd
can you delete them with a obd2 scanner and they wont come back or will they be coming back? by coming back i mean the codes coming back
Well, you "turn them off" using software. Any performance shop that works on LS1's should do it for you....I believe it sets them in a "ready" state meaning the ECU always thinks things are ok.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by newton
Thanks for the help guys. I'm seeing the driver side one from atop the engine bay, but I couldn't find the pass. side one. Gotta jack the car up for that one?
Most likely....You may be able to get them from the top, but I honestly have no idea. I put LT's on my car a few weeks after I bought it and I can get to my O2 sensors with no jacks now.