Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's wrong with the car?

Here lately, after I would go somewhere then get back in the car, as soon as I would take off, while in the lower RPMs, the car would feel really weak then all of a sudden hit the RPMs hard and take off normally. Tonight on the way to class, it did the same thing but felt like it was going to die. Just before I got it, I pressed the accelerator down a little, but the RPMs weren't really doing anything. The car just felt like it lost power for a few seconds. So, I just let it do its thing for a few seconds; then after that the car would drive just fine.

What could be the problem? Clogged cats maybe? I hope so, because that will give me the perfect excuse to get some new Magnaflow high-flows finally. lol.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Eh sounds like it could be your o2 sensors. So you push on the pedal and it doesnt do anything then you push a bit more and it jolts? Thats what happend when my o2s were bad.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
Eh sounds like it could be your o2 sensors. So you push on the pedal and it doesnt do anything then you push a bit more and it jolts? Thats what happend when my o2s were bad.
Yeah, that's about right. It only does it like right after I start the car back up from going inside the store or whatever. After a few seconds, the car is fine. It does have 128K on it, so it's probably time to replace them. Crap. I know they're expensive, too. How many do I have and where?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

There are 2 on each side. two before the cats and 2 after. You might only need to replace one. Any codes showing?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
There are 2 on each side. two before the cats and 2 after. You might only need to replace one. Any codes showing?
No codes. I was expecting some, though.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Switch out the fronts with the backs.Take out the fronts, take out the backs, put backs in front, put fronts in back but dont plug in. (just there to plug the bung)

So what happens from there. Drive it a few times and see what happens.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

honestly if it were up stream o2's you would get a code. and i dont think down streams will work for for the up streams or maybe they will not sure. i would look at simple things like possibly sea foming, fuel filter, air filter and the like before condemming anything expensive. also try cleaning the MAF (kinda what im leaning towards) and throttle body.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Omec
honestly if it were up stream o2's you would get a code. and i dont think down streams will work for for the up streams or maybe they will not sure. i would look at simple things like possibly sea foming, fuel filter, air filter and the like before condemming anything expensive. also try cleaning the MAF (kinda what im leaning towards) and throttle body.
Yeah. I sea foamed the gas tank recently. The air filter should be good as I put in a lid a few months ago, too, but I'll check it again. I'll go ahead and buy a new fuel filter. They're not too expensive.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

It could be a vacuum leak.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rushin
It could be a vacuum leak.
Where? I could I find that?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Basically inspect all the vacuum hoses running around your intake and throttle body. Any kind of hole will do it. Also check you brake booster vacuum line.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rushin
Basically inspect all the vacuum hoses running around your intake and throttle body. Any kind of hole will do it. Also check you brake booster vacuum line.
10-4. You don't think it's a clogged cat or two?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Doesn't sound like it. If they were clogged, the car would run like **** the majority of the time, not just for that brief moment.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your spark plugs too, you might have one or more a little lose? Although I didnt have the exact same symptoms after I did my header install when I was at idle at a light my rpms would fluctuate as if it were going to stall and it ended up being that my spark plugs had losened a little. Also check to make sure your plug wires are on tight.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Check your spark plugs too, you might have one or more a little lose? Although I didnt have the exact same symptoms after I did my header install when I was at idle at a light my rpms would fluctuate as if it were going to stall and it ended up being that my spark plugs had losened a little. Also check to make sure your plug wires are on tight.
We put all new plugs and wires on a couple months ago. They should be good. I'll check, though.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Some other guys say it's probably the front oxygen sensors. So I would assume pre-cat. What are the good brands at the stores?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

I believe Bosch 02 sensors are pretty good and are available at most parts stores.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I believe Bosch 02 sensors are pretty good and are available at most parts stores.
Ok. I'll check out the prices. Where exactly are the two front oxygen sensors?

http://oxygengeek.com/RenderScriptTe...tid=oxygengeek

Last edited by Shackleford; 06-24-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:19 AM
12 Second Club

sounds to me like something to do with plug wires. my car did this **** a couple months ago after header install because some of my plug wires werent properly seated on the coils. also if you have washed your motor off with a hose/pressure washer, it will get up under the plug wires and pool and take a couple of days to dry off. id start with the plug wires. then clean the MAF. then go to 02's. because if im wrong, you wasted 10 minutes, and have to do what you were going to anyways. if other people are wrong you wasted an hour and a nice chunk of change. no offense to anyone :-)
Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Red96TA
sounds to me like something to do with plug wires. my car did this **** a couple months ago after header install because some of my plug wires werent properly seated on the coils. also if you have washed your motor off with a hose/pressure washer, it will get up under the plug wires and pool and take a couple of days to dry off. id start with the plug wires. then clean the MAF. then go to 02's. because if im wrong, you wasted 10 minutes, and have to do what you were going to anyways. if other people are wrong you wasted an hour and a nice chunk of change. no offense to anyone :-)
We changed the plugs and wires a couple months ago. Why it start just now and be fine after a few seconds of acting up? The same goes for the dirty MAF. I put in a lid several months ago. If the MAF needed cleaning then, I would have done it. I'm leaning toward the oxygen sensors, unfortunately.