Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get it..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't get it..

Alright, i have no idea what's going on. I recently picked up the rotor/hawk pads that BSI was selling (in the classifieds section) because my steering wheel would shake UNCONTROLLABLY when i hit brakes from speeds as low as 40 and even worse from 80mph. I couldn't remove one of the rotors because the bolt in the caliper bracket was frozen, so i left it on. The rotors eliminated much of the shaking issue, but now it seems to have come back. WHAT'S GOING ON?!

Is it possible that the one old rotor and pad is causing this damage again? Or what?.. I'm confused.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

change rotors, pads, and maybe get a wheel alignment? idk
Old 08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Ok. Installed now i have 3 slottded/drilled rotors and 3 hawk pads. The FRONT RIGHT wheel is the only wheel that has the old rotor and pad. Other than that, these new rotors haven't seen 1k miles yet.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ophee
Ok. The FRONT RIGHT wheel is the only wheel that has the old rotor

When you warp roters thats when your steering wheel shakes the fronts will wear/warp first. The one you didn't change is just as warped as the one you changed. get the other side off and your problem is fixed.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

hmmm.. well, then i'd have to find a way to get that GDDD DMMNNN frozen bolt out of the caliper bracket! Torch?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ophee
hmmm.. well, then i'd have to find a way to get that GDDD DMMNNN frozen bolt out of the caliper bracket! Torch?
Spray it down with PB blaster and let soak for a little then try to hit with a inpact gun. If it breaks it will be easy to drill it out in the vice. Also when re installing use HI temp anti seeze. it might sound like a bitch but it must be done. You can try to heat with a tourch around the bolt.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would try pb blaster and heat to try and get the bolt out. Use a large 1/2" breaker bar and a good 6 point socket. that should break it loose. Dont cut the bolt out, just heat it up around the bolt.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Change that rotor ASAP!! Your putting extra load on your new rotor by leaving that old one on there. Every time your warped one isn't gripping the new one has to take up the slack and you'll have uneven pads on your front brakes, or possibly warp your new ones. If you are getting wobble in the steering then its the front rotor, rear warped rotors will make the car shake but you won't really feel it in the steering. I took my biggest wratchet and kinda hammered on it with my hand to break it loose, pb blaster couldn't hurt. I'd be warry putting an open flame near all those rubber brake lines though.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Could be a few things.. some already said like the old rotors.. i agree.. just change both front or both rear when you do it.. leaving one old rotor (uncut) could cause it.. but were the calipers hard to compress?? if that then you got a seized caliper and need a new one.. also the sliders could be frozen in there.. and the one people forget is Torque.. how tight are you your lug nuts?? overtorqued lugs can warp rotors real quick..
Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

REALLY... overtorqued lugnuts can cause warping? For some reason, my mechanic told me i "shocked" my rotors, by washing my car while the rotors were really hot, causing them to warp figure. Yes, the slider was frozen, i tried beating it up in every way possible. I haven' t tried torching it though. I'll loosen up the lugnuts, and get that bolt out of the caliper. Does that also explain that loud vibration sound i get when i let go of the brakes slightly? Thanks a lot, that helped.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

same boat as u ophee, my rotors were warped and I got bsi rotors and hawk pads , it went away at first and then came back. My tie rod ends are fudged tho so that is my guess...maybe check urs
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

We had to use a torch to get the sliding caliper pins out when I changed my rotors.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Man.. i really didn't want to torch anything. Thought it'd be a last resort thing, but ehh.. I'll give it a shot. What's the worse that can happenn
Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yea definatly warped rotors, i just had the same problem fixed. Then after i spent way too much at big-o i saw the deal here for the rotors and brake pads and wanted to kick myself.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cry0
Yea definatly warped rotors, i just had the same problem fixed. Then after i spent way too much at big-o i saw the deal here for the rotors and brake pads and wanted to kick myself.
Man, that sucks. Sorry bro. I really have to remove this ONE bad rotor before i mess things up more than they already are!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Using new or rebuilt calipers is something a lot of people miss when doing a brake job, on all cars, not just ours. The calipers need to slide on the guide pins.

And it is possible to warp rotors by hitting them with water while they are hot. I warped a couple after a hard panic stop and then drove through water on the road. Got tired of repeated warped front rotors and did the C-5 Corvette front brake conversion. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: I don't get it..