New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid in the exhaust...help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fluid in the exhaust...help?

hey guys, i dont know if this is in the right section but im a noob and didn't know where else to look.

anyways i went out about 2hrs from my place to look at a 98 LS1 z28.

the car runs flawlessly and only really needs some cosmetics done to it, but the one thing that really worries me is then when i rubbed my finger on the inside of the exhaust, i was expecting black residue. What i found was a clear substance that had the same texture as oil.

i dont know how normal that is for an LS1 if at all, but it's troublesome.

i asked on my local forum and no one knew the answer.

so does anyone here possibly know what im looking at?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have to top off the coolant often? Do you see any blue or white smoke comming from the exhaust? Blue smoke would be burning oil and the white will be coolant.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also smell it, if it smells sweet its coolant. Blown headgasket.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water is normally present in exhaust, especially on cold starts. If you look at some exhaust tips (e.g. Magnaflow), you might see a little hole at the bottom of the inside lip of the tip. That is to allow the water to flow out and not accumulate. So it's a question of how much water and when.

Take the car out for a long ride if possible to burn off most of the water, then see if any smoke comes out when you load the engine. If it has TDs, the smoke will come out of the side with the possible head gasket problem, and the cylinders with the issue will have a clean spark plug when checked (literally steam cleaned).
Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM

ya a blown head gasket is actually why im looking for a new camaro.

i had my radiator busted by a Speedy Oil and they replaced it, but didn't put it on right.

so my cars gasket blew, along with the engine seizing and LOTS of smoke to boot .

there was no white/blue smoke coming from the exhaust so i didn't think it was a blown gasket but still a possibility?

i guess what im trying to say is, are there NO OTHER reasons that there would be that fluid in there?

other than a blown head gasket?

it would be nuts that it blew a gasket cuz it only has 77k miles on it. but if he drove it to **** than i guess that could be why.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

How long has the car you looked at been sitting? Might be just condensation if it hasn't been run much.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah dude, my uncles c5 vette with 9k miles on it blew that **** out when he started it as well as my other friends ws6 when he started it the other day, it's when they sit the carbon and dark oily substance will build up... start the car, let it warm up for 5-10 seconds and give it a quick 4 grand shot, it should blow it all out the exhaust, and should be good to go after that... come to think of it my other buddy's lt1 that JUST came back from the shop built 500rwhp/tq did that as well. Drive it around and turn the heat on and maek sure that works, it won't if the head gasket is blown.... other than this int he exhaust don't worry about it. your burning gas and oil naturally, there should be some in the exhaust, i'd worry me more if it was clean
Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

When i pull my cutout cap off a crapload of water dumps out on the ground.