New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Fuel Mileage with a Full Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Better Fuel Mileage with a Full Tank?

I think for the most part, most of us would agree that the fuel gauges in our cars seem to drop a lot faster below 1/2 or so then they do from full to half. I know the concensus was always that its just the calibration of the gauge and everything, which it very well may be but it seems like everyone I talk to, know matter what kind of car it does the same thing.

Well my dad has been a automotive and heavy equipment technician his whole life and gets invited to these clinics people put on about certain stuff. Well anyways he went to one about fuels and everthing and he was just telling me little tidbits about what it was all about and something he said kind of caught my attention. I guess the person that was putting on this clinic said that cars will get better fuel mileage when above 1/2 tank. Im sure ths only goes for new vehicles or certain vehicles but I guess his reasoning was that the manufacturers dont want there to be a lack a fuel and burn the engine down due to a lean condition. So say the fuel happens to be sloshing around in the tank and the pump cant pick it up and there be a lack of fuel. So they have it programmed that when the gauge starts getting lower the ecm starts to richen the mixture to help prevent this from happening. And I have to be honest I have done some checking and it seems if I fill up before a 1/2 my mileage always seems to be worse then when I run it down to a 1/4 or lower.
So I was just kind of curious as to what you guys thought...I am not saying its true or anything I was just curiouse cause I know mine drops faster below half then above half.

Sorry for the long post guys, I didnt know how explain it in any less words.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

then with a retune wouldnt the computer not richen the fuel mixture?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

idk how often you drive your car but i think i remember hearing gas evaporates faster when you have less gas in the tank
Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even the old GM cars I've had acted like this. They were carburated (no pcm) so I would say no. This goes for a 68 GTO, 70 Olds Cutlass, and 78 & 79 Trans Ams to name just a few.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Yeah I'm sure there are other cars out there like that. I dont know where he got his info from I just thought I'd see what you other people thought. At first I thought it was total BS but I have to admit it kind of got me thinking when I thought of the gauge in my T/A.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

No.

Here is a simplified cross section of your gas tank: Smaller at the bottom than at the top.

\ -------- /
\ ------ /
\ -----/
\ ---/
____

consider your fuel gauge sender to be a stick right down the middle of it. When it reads half-full (or empty if you are of the pesimist persuasion) you would have gone through 2/3 of the fuel in it if it were a perfect triangle. It is not so exagerated, so you have not gone through the full 2/3 amount, but the principle is the same. The tank is bigger at the top. Add in GM's perchant for calibrating it to read full for a few gallons before the gauge moves off full and there you have it. The less weight you have in the car, the better mileage you will get, all else being equal. So you get the best mileage with the tank as close to empty as possible. Not good for cooling your fuel pump, so it is not recommended.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 SS
No.

Here is a simplified cross section of your gas tank: Smaller at the bottom than at the top.

\ -------- /
\ ------ /
\ -----/
\ ---/
____

consider your fuel gauge sender to be a stick right down the middle of it. When it reads half-full (or empty if you are of the pesimist persuasion) you would have gone through 2/3 of the fuel in it if it were a perfect triangle. It is not so exagerated, so you have not gone through the full 2/3 amount, but the principle is the same. The tank is bigger at the top. Add in GM's perchant for calibrating it to read full for a few gallons before the gauge moves off full and there you have it. The less weight you have in the car, the better mileage you will get, all else being equal. So you get the best mileage with the tank as close to empty as possible. Not good for cooling your fuel pump, so it is not recommended.
+1 Thats exactly what I was goin to say
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Your fuel pump does not know how much gas is left in the tank. The PCM doesn't really care either until the supply stops. The real answer is that the gas gauges in these cars just suck.

My '97 used to run forever on the top of the tank. When the needle dropped to 1/2 tank you had better look for a gas station. The later years (I had a '01, and now '02) seemed to work better. But the middle range o the gauge still falls too fast and the top and bottom readings seem to hold longer. We just aren't getting an acurate reading of what is in the tank.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even the 09 carola we just bought does this, it gets about 200 on the top half, and roughly 150 on the bottom half.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 AM

No.

\ -------- /
\ ------ /
\ -----/
\ ---/
____

Good information if it is true.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

I think it is true I seem to go further when i fill up the tank rather than keep putting $20 each time
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Launching!

So I guess MOST cars have the same design of a tank and get smaller at the bottom. Some of the tanks I have had down personally to repace fuel pumps and such are actually narrower at the top...
Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting thread.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FastestCarInTheWorld
Good information if it is true.
it is true, I was gonna post the same thing too but I was 3rd in line
Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Launching!

No.

\ -------- /
\ ------ /
\ -----/
\ ---/
____

Sounds reasonable to me.

With my 72 Cutlass, when I fill it up, it takes forever to get from the full mark to the 3/4 mark. Then it won't waste any time getting from 3/4 to 1/4. Then forever from 1/4 to empty. But, I usually fill it at 1/4.

Also, it has a relatively flat bottomed gas tank, no ECM, a carburetor, and a mechanical fuel pump. I have an 85 Chevy truck as a winter beater. It's fuel gauge acts the same way. Dual fuel tanks, and the sending units act the same.

I'd say the GM fuel gauges are and have been funky for some years.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very simple one side of the time is bigger then the other!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
idk how often you drive your car but i think i remember hearing gas evaporates faster when you have less gas in the tank
my lead foot keeps me from having to worry about gas evaporating.

i remember one time i got 180 miles to a FULL TANK.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
my lead foot keeps me from having to worry about gas evaporating.

i remember one time i got 180 miles to a FULL TANK.
i have been getting that a lot lately, 220 at the most, and im not on it *too* much lol, i think its running pig rich since i put a cutout on it. (no i dont drive any different than i did before, yea i like the sound, but i liked the sound b4 the cutout)
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read an article in Car and Driver years ago about this. One of the reasons that the guage drops slower from full to 1/2 is so people think they're getting better mileage.

If you fill it up and have gone 40 miles and the needle is still on full, you think "wow, this car gets great mileage!"

Since most people (at least maybe at the time they started doing this) don't run it past 1/4, it was a way to fool people into thinking they were getting better mileage than they actually did.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've filled up at different points of the gas gauge and have come to figure out just where everything stands.

Mine's a 98 so this really doesn't apply to all or even more than my car really, but here's my experience. 15.5 gallon tank

3/4 mark is actually a little more than a third used close to 40% really. I've managed to get around 6 gallons in the tank.

1/2 is almost 9 gallons used.

1/4 means 11 gallons used. That last 1/4 goes by quick on my car.

Red zone usually has 2-3 gallons left in tank. I've driven at 70mph for a good hour when it touched red and found when I filled it I could only get 14-14.5 gallons in. Never have come close to putting 15 in.

It's completely f-ed at the moment the way I see it. I simply consider how much I've driven and what kind of driving I've done, be it highway or city and judge accordingly. Combined 50/50 I will see 250miles at best, all city will be closer to 200, and all highway can hit 350+ miles.

I miss the stock days of 400 highway and 300 combined...