New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights are dimmed..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlights are dimmed..

Well I was wondering if anyone might have had this problem in past... and can provide me with some advice in what i can do... my headlights are dimmed.. as if they arnt gettin enough ground power I checked the light bolts but no luck any help would be great!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it is in fact ground related, it could be a bad ground anywhere not even directly related to your headlights. If you have an aftermarket stereo or any other aftermarket electrical equipment check all your connections and grounds for that stuff too. Perhaps it's not ground related, however that is where I'd start.

Last edited by 20SS07; 09-24-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Well i dont have any aftermarket stero or anything related to electrical that i would have caused the problem.... i had been driving it like that for 3 days and then after that my car died on me though it was battery took it to auto zone they said it was good battery but was old so i purchase a new one and tried that... but now.. when i start car battery only stays at 8 Volts.. and is going down.. , so i though my Alternator must be the problem.. so i took it to get it checked they said it was bad so i got new one.. but now that i have the new one on ... it does same thing.. so there must be a bad wire somewhere...
Old 09-24-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, yea I dunno what else to tell ya man, sorry. I'm not tooo knowledgeable when it comes to the electrical stuff. I'm sure someone else may chime in with an idea.

I only made my suggestion because I had a loose ground on my subwoofer and it was going through and making my headlights dim and do other odd things. Goodluck.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Wow, I didn't know the car could keep running on just 8 volts. Coil packs need electricity. And it starts, too?

I would have guessed that the alternator isn't hooked up right, but the car is still running, right? I bet you'll find a big wire somewhere and it'll look so bad you'll wonder how anything was running at all.

You say it's 8 volts now. It was probably >=12 when you got the new battery. Does the voltage drop more when the car is sitting or when you're driving? Does it ever go up when the car is sitting or when you're driving?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Well yeah when i got the new battery it was at 12 and normaly once its hooked up car cranked hooks 13-14 volts.. so i got battery put it on drove it around to check that everything was good then notice volt was going down.. slowy.. but fast enough to tell that it wasnt charging.. but yeah it was running at 8 volts.. and yes the car still cranks great.... just everytime i crank it and while its sittin there volt going down.. due to alarm senor since i havnt been driving it but it I were to try driving it volt would go down faster.. And your right im sure that if it is in fact a wire.. its going to be pretty bad..
Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

your alt isnt charging your battery properly, check the exciter wire that leads from the alt to the bat, its a small wire near the back of the alternator.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:38 PM

Hmm well I'll have to give that a shot n hope i can find the problem... thanks.. If anyone else got something wanna add to it or suggestions feel free to leave me something lol ='(
Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Yea the one little wire could have a break in. And I would check where the headlight connects to and make sure its not lose. My car lots where going dim and that was the problem.. Hopefully you figure it out.