Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous guys...please read my plugs....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitrous guys...please read my plugs....

Hey guys, I need to get your opinions on these plugs. Last night I sprayed 3rd, 4th, and most of 5th racing a gsxr1000. Some people there watching asked me if the car was breaking up or missing, they said they heard something. I didn't hear or feel anything and it ran really well. So today I pulled the plugs. They all look exactly like these in the pics, a couple may have had a "TAD" more deposits on the porcelain but I can't tell if its aluminum speckles or just other **** from combustion. The plugs are TR6s, the kit is a NX150 wet, the car was tuned by the now defunked MTI in houston and supposedly was left with the nitrous tune in it. Not sure what the timing was but supposedly its low for the spray. Plugs have about 3-4k miles on them and only sprayed it once.

Infamous #7

Thanks for the help guys....I just want to make sure I am not toasting it. This run was on 93 oct. which was probably a little too much spray for too long on pump gas but.....too late now.

Last edited by ajrothm; 11-23-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well at least you still have all the ground straps on the plugs. The only good way to read a plug on the hose is to immediately turn the car off after the run is done.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Yea, unless these were pulled literally right after the nitrous pull you won't be able to tell much. Do you know anyone that has a scan tool so you can verify your timing?

Nick
Old 11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Yea, unless these were pulled literally right after the nitrous pull you won't be able to tell much. Do you know anyone that has a scan tool so you can verify your timing?

Nick
No....I suppose I could take it to G-Force and get Mike to just take a look and see what its set at.. I need him to recalibrate the speedo for new gears anyway. At a minimum I was glad the straps were still on the plugs.

BTW the car has a Racetronix pump in it also.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

To rich and to much timming if they were pulled right after a run.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

I believe they all say "JAPAN"
Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 PM
9 Second Club

Too much timing for sure.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
I believe they all say "JAPAN"
lol...I needed a good laugh
Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Did you beat the GSX1000?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

too much timing.
as i have learned, get rid of the projected tip plugs with nitrous.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

yeah looks like too much timing. can't tell AFR from those pics plus it was driven after the run
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Switching to a colder nonprojected tip might be enough of a change.

I would try that before you pull timing.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Like ATV said. change plugs but if its to rich and i suspect it is you will need to pull more triming if you lean it out.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What plugs do you guys recommend? I am not sure what the AFR is right now. Before MTI tuned it, G-Force had tuned it and the AFR was around 12.8-13.0 on motor, then on the bottle it was around 11.8-1 but I don't think bottle pressure was where it needed to be on the pull. I eventually had MTI retune it and install the racetronix pump because the around town driveability sucked on the first tune and the Walbro pump originally installed crapped out.

Yeah these plugs had about 3-4k miles on them before the spray passes and I drove it about 30 miles after.(to get home)

NO I didn't beat the 1000, I didn't think I would even remotely keep up actually but from a 3rd gear, 60 mph rolling hit on my start, I held him off till I shifted to 5th, the he passed me and continued pulling. I shut down around 5500 or so rpms in 5th. Not sure how fast, my speedo is not calibrated. I think around 140-150mph or so. He had maybe 3-5 cars on me when I let out.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone know if there is some sort of timing retard device that works on LS1s? Something that works just off a switch or something? That way I could run full timing(say 28* or so) on motor, then when I arm the nitrous system, the device retards the timing to whatever you set it at?

These are common for the old stuff, MSD type ignitions etc, just wondering if they make an ignition retard for LS1s. Maybe I could install something like that, take it to a local shop just to check the timing curves with both settings, change to different plugs then make some nitrous pulls to see if its safe.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

None of the timing pullers are really the right way to do it, you tune it for the shot you want to run, and understand the n/a performance will weaken. That's the only 100% safe/right way to do it, unless you have an aftermarket computer, in that case it can be wired to the WOT switch to pull the timing that way, but I suspect you're still on a stock PCM

What plugs are those?

I'd ditch them and put a set of #7 plugs in the car and try that before doing anything, the a/f is too hard to tell being that you drove on them after you made a run.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
None of the timing pullers are really the right way to do it, you tune it for the shot you want to run, and understand the n/a performance will weaken. That's the only 100% safe/right way to do it, unless you have an aftermarket computer, in that case it can be wired to the WOT switch to pull the timing that way, but I suspect you're still on a stock PCM

What plugs are those?

I'd ditch them and put a set of #7 plugs in the car and try that before doing anything, the a/f is too hard to tell being that you drove on them after you made a run.

These plugs are NGK TR6s. Thats what MTI recommended last year when it went in for the fuel pump, tune etc. Supposedly, the timing is tuned for nitrous right now. I couldn't tell you what it is. I will probably get the car over to G-Force just to let them check the timing on it for me, make a couple pulls to verify the AFR etc. I really don't want to mess with adding any other boxes etc(timing tuners) but I will if I have to. I didn't really think it was necessary for only a 150 shot but.....maybe. So those timing tuners don't really work well? I would be curious to know IF they are really working when you arm the nitrous side. I might call Harris about theirs but I really don't need all its features. I already have a digital window switch, I don't need the delay/progressive stuff....I just want to pull timing but how would you know if its doing it or pulling enough?

I don't spray the car that often, this weekend was the first time I have sprayed it in a year. But I want to know its right and not gonna melt when I do. The motor only has 38k miles on it and I need it to live a while. Maybe I should just dump some race gas in it when I plan on spraying it? I don't want to over complicate this ****..

What plugs you recommend? TR7s? can you get those with the non protruding tips?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can get a tr7 without the protruded tip yes.

The harris unit is supposed to be the best one out there, but I'm old school, tune for the worst case situation (biggest shot in this case) and you're always safe. Better safe then melted down.

I'd personally put an autolite AR 3394 in the car with an .035 gap, that might be a little colder then you need, but it's safe, and they aren't protruded at all. That plug alone would probably solve the issues.

I'd be more worried about the oil that I see on the plugs then anything, that's never a good sign.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

This was a good thread overall. I am glad I got to see what the issue was.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You can get a tr7 without the protruded tip yes.

The harris unit is supposed to be the best one out there, but I'm old school, tune for the worst case situation (biggest shot in this case) and you're always safe. Better safe then melted down.

I'd personally put an autolite AR 3394 in the car with an .035 gap, that might be a little colder then you need, but it's safe, and they aren't protruded at all. That plug alone would probably solve the issues.

I'd be more worried about the oil that I see on the plugs then anything, that's never a good sign.

Hell I'll try the autolites.... I used to run them in my old big pontiacs and SBCs. Are those plugs you can get at any auto part store or something special?

So does the colder plug help prevent detonation OR does it just help keep the plug from melting(ground straps/electrode etc)?

Not sure about the oil on the threads of the plugs....I always used to think that was caused by valve seals but these seals are only a couple years old with about 10k miles on them. GM seals.

I think some of the problem was the fact I sprayed it into 5th. I normally NEVER spray into 5th but......thats pretty damn hard on it, holding the spray that long on pump gas. The heavy old turd was moving though...

Quick Reply: Nitrous guys...please read my plugs....