Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NANO tech thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NANO tech thread

First lets welcome NANO as the new nitrous section sponsor.

I know there are lots of questions about what is NANO, what will it do and how does it work...etc..

Here is the place for those questions and we can get the answers straight from NANO.

I will merge this thread with the MASTER nitrous FAQ after the most common questions are answered.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

I run the NANO system and had a problem with it 1st time down the track, I had the pressure go to 1400 psi before I let out of it....

We found out the regulator got damaged during fill up.. The check valve had no pressure so the surge went to the NANO and messed up the regulator.

So, I was told from NANO to disconnect the hose from now on.. Have not had a problem since. Just FYI so this wont happen to anyone else.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
I run the NANO system and had a problem with it 1st time down the track, I had the pressure go to 1400 psi before I let out of it....

We found out the regulator got damaged during fill up.. The check valve had no pressure so the surge went to the NANO and messed up the regulator.

So, I was told from NANO to disconnect the hose from now on.. Have not had a problem since. Just FYI so this wont happen to anyone else.
So you were leaving your NANO system hooked up when you were having your nitrous bottle filled? Shouldn't the check valve on the bottle have stopped the excessive pressure from going back into the NANO regulator?

What size system/bottle do you have? How long have the NANO bottles been lasting you before a refill? I just purchased a system and can't wait to try it out.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by waterbug1999

The reason the check valve did not close is because the NANO and the nitrous bottle were empty. The check valve has to have a minimum of 650psi to seal. When you are filling the nitrous bottle from empty the check valve will not close so it passes through to the NANO bottle. Therefore when passing through it will create the same pressure on the NANO side because the check valve never got a chance to close. This will cause the check valve to hang open. Lets say you will have 900psi vs 600psi, so there is only 300psi of force to keep it closed.

As long as you take them apart to be filled this will not occur.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by myfast70
So you were leaving your NANO system hooked up when you were having your nitrous bottle filled? Shouldn't the check valve on the bottle have stopped the excessive pressure from going back into the NANO regulator?

What size system/bottle do you have? How long have the NANO bottles been lasting you before a refill? I just purchased a system and can't wait to try it out.
The NANO system is designed to be ran with a full nitrous bottle vs. full NANO bottle, so a 1 to 1 ratio. The NANO bottle will drain the nitrous bottle.

Here is a scale showing a ruff idea on how many runs you will receive with the NANO system.

100hp = 10x 10 second runs
200hp = 5x 10 second runs
500hp = 2x 10 second runs

This is with no purging ofcourse.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blwnstang02
The reason the check valve did not close is because the NANO and the nitrous bottle were empty. The check valve has to have a minimum of 650psi to seal. When you are filling the nitrous bottle from empty the check valve will not close so it passes through to the NANO bottle. Therefore when passing through it will create the same pressure on the NANO side because the check valve never got a chance to close. This will cause the check valve to hang open. Lets say you will have 900psi vs 600psi, so there is only 300psi of force to keep it closed.

So when the bottle starts getting filled I should let the guys filling it know that the bottle will leak out of the fitting until it hits 600 psi? Is that correct?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by myfast70
So when the bottle starts getting filled I should let the guys filling it know that the bottle will leak out of the fitting until it hits 600 psi? Is that correct?
No it will seal as soon as they release the pressure into the nitrous bottle. It takes a split second to seal up. In the split second it takes to seal the air is bled into the atmosphere. If the NANO where hooked to it, it would bleed into the line going into the regulator causing pressure on both sides of the check valve.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

I have a question on the nx valve (45 degree) which side is the correct side to remove on the bottle for the nano. If the blowdown tube fitting was up and the nx line fitting was down it would be the right side correct? I hope to have some results this weekend with the nano. I am leaving the 100 shot pill in and jetting the fuel up. I have to do a lot of running around sat before the race to fill both nitrous bottles and the nano bottle, but am looking foward to testing. I will post up results my guess/hope is a tenth and 2 mph in the 1/4.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
I have a question on the nx valve (45 degree) which side is the correct side to remove on the bottle for the nano. If the blowdown tube fitting was up and the nx line fitting was down it would be the right side correct? I hope to have some results this weekend with the nano. I am leaving the 100 shot pill in and jetting the fuel up. I have to do a lot of running around sat before the race to fill both nitrous bottles and the nano bottle, but am looking foward to testing. I will post up results my guess/hope is a tenth and 2 mph in the 1/4.
Here is a shot of the NX 45° valve with NANO, Blow down and pressure gauge

You can put the NANO on whichever port you choose.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Here is a shot of the NX 45° valve with NANO, Blow down and pressure gauge

You can put the NANO on whichever port you choose.
Ok thanks thats the side I planned on doing it on. I thought that side only had the pressure port (thought this was a nx 45 degree valve could be mistaken)
Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

Ok thanks thats the side I planned on doing it on. I thought that side only had the pressure port (thought this was a nx 45 degree valve could be mistaken)

You are correct. It is a NX 45 valve. Both pictures are on the correct side as well. Thanks Beer for speaking up
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

So what does this do for nitrous users? What are the advantages of this system as opposed to another more typical N20 kit?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
So what does this do for nitrous users? What are the advantages of this system as opposed to another more typical N20 kit?
It keeps the HP from the shot consistent down the track as the bottle pressure does not fall off on the top end.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blwnstang02

I know why it got caused and how it happened now.. I was unaware of this at the beginning of the use of my NANO system... So, I was trying to let everyone know this.

I like the system and will end up getting another one.

Last edited by waterbug1999; 12-02-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

I bought the kit becuase it was a deal and a half and plan on upping the shot down the road. How much does a 100 shot really fall off on a reg run though. I've never fully monitored the bottle before and right after a run
Old 12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
9 Second Club

Default Heres my question?????

Is there a way of filling up the nano bottle at home with the current air compressor I have. It's only a 60 gallon and the line only go's up to 150 psi. I just can't justifly spending $3,400.00 on a air compressor when I already have one at home.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
Is there a way of filling up the nano bottle at home with the current air compressor I have. It's only a 60 gallon and the line only go's up to 150 psi. I just can't justifly spending $3,400.00 on a air compressor when I already have one at home.
You can rent a HPA or (High pressure air) from welding supply company's if you don't have any scuba, paintball, welding supply, or fire extinguisher store around. This seems to be the cheapest route for people looking to fill periodically.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

I bought the kit becuase it was a deal and a half and plan on upping the shot down the road. How much does a 100 shot really fall off on a reg run though. I've never fully monitored the bottle before and right after a run
Typically with a bottle heater you will get 2 pretty good runs. After the second you may not feel but power drops off dramatically. When you heat a bottle the nitrous turns more of a vapor than a liquid. So after every run it turns more and more into a vapor due to more room in the bottle to expand. With the NANO you are replacing the room in the bottle with air because the nitrous is at the same pressure but a cooler temperature causing it to stay in liquid form. That is how we manage to get all of the nitrous out of the bottle.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

So basically you keep the bottle at a constant pressure-and therefore temperature-as the nitrous is used you fill the "empty" space formerly filled with nitrous with air. How far off am I?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brad@NANO Direct
You can rent a HPA or (High pressure air) from welding supply company's if you don't have any scuba, paintball, welding supply, or fire extinguisher store around. This seems to be the cheapest route for people looking to fill periodically.
That wasn't the answer I was loking for for. lol . I never was a big fan of renting stuff. Theres got to be a way that I could refill the bottle at my house without spending a arm and a leg.

Quick Reply: NANO tech thread