Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottle Pressure in the summer heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottle Pressure in the summer heat

I have my HSW bottle mounted between the back seats and it gets verrrry hot down here in Texas. The other day the car sat in the sun for awhile and when i got in it the pressure was at 1500 PSI. Summer just started and July and August will kill you with the heat and humidity. I put a white towel over the bottle and she got up to 1450 PSI. Is this a no-no ? I guess i have to find a shade tree to park it under or take the bottle out during daylight hours. The relief valve did not let go yet but i guess it could. Anybody had experience with this '''sunshine heat" and their bottles pressuring up to the top of the gauge. The gauge reads 1500psi max and is in the red for awhile before that. The solonoid might not like 1500PSI coming at it. Any advice is appreciated and no I will not move north to a cooler climate or let her idle with the A/C on during the sunshine exposure.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave it out except at the track.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

you don't leave the bottle open all the time do you? there shouldn't be any pressure on the noids unless you do which wouldn't be a good idea anyway. But yes, i would take it out, even in the shade, if the car gets hot inside the psi will raise without direct sunlight.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Your bottle pressure needs to around 950/1050! Take it out of the Car except at the track. To much bottle pressure if you hit it can Damage your Motor!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

IF you do leave your bottle in there I hope you have a blow down tube on it. There's a few threads/pics on this site showing the end result of a nitrous bottle giving in to the pressure.

Here's a link to the infamous Firebird bottle explosion...

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=117747.0
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kc533
IF you do leave your bottle in there I hope you have a blow down tube on it. There's a few threads/pics on this site showing the end result of a nitrous bottle giving in to the pressure.

Here's a link to the infamous Firebird bottle explosion...

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=117747.0
Before you get everyone in a panic about their bottles exploding, I'm sure there was a LOT more behind what really happened in that picture. Any rupture disc will relieve pressure before it would ever get near the rupture pressure of the bottle. Now if someone didn't use common sense and doubled up the rupture discs or capped the relief port or the bottle was heat stressed (having been in a fire or any other means of experiencing extreme heat, etc) its a different story.

To the original poster, I would take the bottle out of the car on really hot days. You don't want to lose any nitrous if the rupture disc pops to relieve pressure.

Nick
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

x2 to what Nick said. Ive seen that pic too and heard the stories about how that bottle was in another car during a car fire which weakened the bottle, and there was no burst disc either. They also said it sat for several days in the hot *** sun. So, what else would you expect. But anyway, if you know its gonna sit in the sun where your interior is running in the 100-140 degree range, which is normal for the southern summers, just leave it at home. I also think that HSW recommends keeping your pressure down to at least 1100psi so you arent damaging your heater switch, if you have one installed.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Default Advice

Thanks for the advice everybody but hey Nick they are all hot Days in Texas from May until November. Bottle heater,,,,,,I dont need one it is HOTTTTT down here. LOL and yes I have a Blowdown Tube on it.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

A bottle blanket will go along way toward keeping the bottle cooled down as well as it helps keep the heat in. I have always run one and no high pressures, where as my buddy, same area, left his out with no blanket and it got to 1500psi also. Something else that works is freeze packs and wet towels. they won't blow the relief until around 3000psi so no real worry, except the tune will go lean. He had a before the MAF dry so even the 1500psi was not a problem as the MAF adjusted automatically for the increased pressure/volume of the N2O. I have a couple other pictures of exploded bottles and it is always the guys that run with out, or mess up there rupture disk. They also have their heaters wired directly, no keyed ignition to over ride leaving the heater on. Going to bed with no rupture disk and the heater running can lead to loosing not only your car but also your garage. you have to be a real tool to get so much wrong as to blow the bottle up, lol.
Robert
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Before you get everyone in a panic about their bottles exploding, I'm sure there was a LOT more behind what really happened in that picture. Any rupture disc will relieve pressure before it would ever get near the rupture pressure of the bottle. Now if someone didn't use common sense and doubled up the rupture discs or capped the relief port or the bottle was heat stressed (having been in a fire or any other means of experiencing extreme heat, etc) its a different story.

To the original poster, I would take the bottle out of the car on really hot days. You don't want to lose any nitrous if the rupture disc pops to relieve pressure.

Nick
This guy is a friend of mine. It was an overfilled bottle left out in july heat for WEEKS with the bottle in direct sunlight (transverse mount 15lb) through the back glass...and it had been through a CAR FIRE before that.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jdiddyws6
This guy is a friend of mine. It was an overfilled bottle left out in july heat for WEEKS with the bottle in direct sunlight (transverse mount 15lb) through the back glass...and it had been through a CAR FIRE before that.
But still a missing or non-working burst disc...
Robert
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW

Nick
Haha yeah sorry I wasn't tryin' to scare anybody.....just showing what COULD happen. You'd stand a better chance of winning the lottery before that ever happened to you.

Quick Reply: Bottle Pressure in the summer heat