Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some nitrous suggestions/advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some nitrous suggestions/advise

Whats up everyone. Im a somewhat new to the LS1 scene, but been around cars for a while. I am thinking about getting a nitrous set up for my Trans Am. I am looking at a 100 shot and would like some advise if anyone with some experience would like to weigh in. To give a little run down of the car and mods, as followed:

98 WS6, 38,500 miles, original motor.
Pacesetter long tubes with cut out
Ported TB with Fast 90/90 intake
Comp .580 cam......possibly about to swap with new vengeance cam.
Stock sucky 98 heads, I am going to upgrade to ported 243's soon.
Trexalia clutch
4:10 gears

As of right now it is putting out 420whp...I know the stock 98 heads are holding back a decent bit of power and I am going to change those shortly. Besides that and a possible new cam I am wanting to put a 100 shot on the car and I think that should put out plenty of power. I am wanting to see what kind of suggestions you guys have as to what kit to put on the car. Also what kind of other mods should I consider to fully support the vehicle with the 100 shot such as fuel mods and all.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

well, youll need to get a tune, and a bigger fuel pump if your still on the stocker. and if you want to "fully support"... FORGE, but youll be fine on a hundred shot, but for sure, a fuel pump and a good tune!! the sponsors here really have some very great products and will be along shortly to help.

and a bottle heater is a thing of the past. lol

and, its a drug, be ware! see sig VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Old 10-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JAX04
well, youll need to get a tune, and a bigger fuel pump if your still on the stocker. and if you want to "fully support"... FORGE, but youll be fine on a hundred shot, but for sure, a fuel pump and a good tune!! the sponsors here really have some very great products and will be along shortly to help.

and a bottle heater is a thing of the past. lol

and, its a drug, be ware! see sig VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Yeah I need to grab a bigger fuel pump for sure, just not sure which one I need. Not going to go all out and forge the motor any time soon lol, pistons are notched though.....
Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeramey
Yeah I need to grab a bigger fuel pump for sure, just not sure which one I need. Not going to go all out and forge the motor any time soon lol, pistons are notched though.....
Racetronix Fuel Pump, Hotwire Kit, and Connecting Rod Bolts and you should be set.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Is your car a4 or m6? I am a six speed, so i definitely recommend a window switch if you are a six speed as well. I bought the Dynotune brand window switch and have had no issues with it.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by no1izspeshl
Is your car a4 or m6? I am a six speed, so i definitely recommend a window switch if you are a six speed as well. I bought the Dynotune brand window switch and have had no issues with it.
Yeah its a 6 speed.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

100 shot you will be fine. A new pump is a good idea but I don't think it is absolutly needed. Plenty of guys are running a stock pump. Do you have any times at the track already? That would help know if you need anythign else for traction and how much juice you need to get the time you want.

Case in point. If you are running say mid to high 13s then you might want to try a 75 shot to see if it is enough to hit 12s. Faster is always better and you can easily go as high as a 150 shot on a stock motor but if you have goals then you know what it might take to hit them.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by custm2500
100 shot you will be fine. A new pump is a good idea but I don't think it is absolutly needed. Plenty of guys are running a stock pump. Do you have any times at the track already? That would help know if you need anythign else for traction and how much juice you need to get the time you want.

Case in point. If you are running say mid to high 13s then you might want to try a 75 shot to see if it is enough to hit 12s. Faster is always better and you can easily go as high as a 150 shot on a stock motor but if you have goals then you know what it might take to hit them.
I dont have any times at the moment. We only have an 1/8 mile track here. With the gears and 420whp, spings, pan hard bar, control arms, and 315 dr's that are on it I believe it will run low 7's but the stock 10 bolt would blow out probably lol. I am more of a street person, I drive the car about twice a week maybe 20 miles total. I figure some ported 241 or 243 heads will put me around 450+ and a 100 shot will place me around 550whp which i believe would be plenty.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

maybe i missed it, but are you thinkin of goin wet or dry?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002t/a06
maybe i missed it, but are you thinkin of goin wet or dry?
No you didnt miss it, I have not decided that either...feel free to weigh in...
Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeramey
No you didnt miss it, I have not decided that either...feel free to weigh in...
well, i used to have a dry kit and it was ok. I recently went wet and I like it a lot better. It feels safer, but that it just my opinion. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

sounds kinda like what i'm building right now....tea stage 2 243 heads, 227/231 cam, fast 92mm, 150 shot plus nano. I'm just upgrading the fuel system, changing plugs, and tuning it. I dont plan on spinning the motor past 6500 on spray so not to worried about rod bolts. Looking to go high 9's once i dial in the new suspension when i get back to the states
Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

you may need to upgrade injectors if your going dry, your current combo is probably pushing the stockers kind of hard and with the 100 shot it might hit max cycle. I'm a fan of dry shots, that what I plan to run on my setup.

But what the others said is correct, fuel pump and injectors (if dry), with a good tune and you should be having fun with your new found hp.

BTW your making real good power cam only, the cam you have must be sweet as hell. If you switch to stock 243's you'll probably be making power like guys that cnc'd heads.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
sounds kinda like what i'm building right now....tea stage 2 243 heads, 227/231 cam, fast 92mm, 150 shot plus nano. I'm just upgrading the fuel system, changing plugs, and tuning it. I dont plan on spinning the motor past 6500 on spray so not to worried about rod bolts. Looking to go high 9's once i dial in the new suspension when i get back to the states
How much does you car weigh? If you break into the 9's at almost full weight you would give me hope.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Wet is more forgiving and easier to tune. If you are rich you just add a smaller fuel jet. Dry you have to re-map the fuel and take some out. Not hard for some who are good tuners but since i don't tune my self that would be painstaking and just plain suck. Dry has it's advantages but honestly I don't know what they are. Most people a wet set up is best for them because it is it's own deal and you don't have to keep messing with the motor as much.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
How much does you car weigh? If you break into the 9's at almost full weight you would give me hope.
I believe his car is stock weight. Runs VERY hard for what it has done to it.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
It will be lighter, but also will have a 6pt in the car so that will add some weight. I'm looking to drop 150lbs off the car from where it is now, but then then the bar will be in. I stripped some weight off the car before i left.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
It will be lighter, but also will have a 6pt in the car so that will add some weight. I'm looking to drop 150lbs off the car from where it is now, but then then the bar will be in. I stripped some weight off the car before i left.
I would like to do a burkhart bumper support but i drive my car to much, one day I would like to do a aftermarket K member though to loose some weight. When i get another car I think I will lose the HVAC system though.

Originally Posted by custm2500
Wet is more forgiving and easier to tune. If you are rich you just add a smaller fuel jet. Dry you have to re-map the fuel and take some out. Not hard for some who are good tuners but since i don't tune my self that would be painstaking and just plain suck. Dry has it's advantages but honestly I don't know what they are. Most people a wet set up is best for them because it is it's own deal and you don't have to keep messing with the motor as much.
The new dry setup is sprayed after the MAF with something like a HSW interface adding the fuel. All you have to do is adjust the interface to shot your running, and if its rich just switch it back a level. So with the new technology dry is pretty much as convient as wet.

Alot of people also dont like spraying gas into the intake. This may be a wives tale but if the fuel seperates from the nitrous it could cause a backfire in the intake. Either way just make sure you have some safety features to protect your engine.

Wet vs. Dry has been argued 1000 times on here already, I would do a search on the topic, read the arguments and see which side you agree with more.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Yea I don't know enough to argue at all. Sounds like today they are nearly identical. The safety of not having a backfire is the whole 3000 rpm and above thing. Making sure the air is clearly going the direction you want it to.

Anyhow I am for wet systems mainly because I know a bit more about them. This isn't to turn you away from dry just my opinion.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running the HWS Interface and MicroEdge controller and their sudden impact kit and bottle heater. That is just about everything you wil need besides colder plugs. They work together FLAWLESSLY and I absolutely love both. The MicroEdge has just about everything you could want except a fp safety switch. And the customer support and service at HSW is great! I've sprayed a 100 shot for quite some time on stock injectors and pump with the mods in my sig. Good luck with what you decide to go with!